DCI major announcement?

People have been clamoring for this for quite some time, so honestly, this is a great thing DCI is offering. As another had posted, get a handful of friends together and host a Finals party!

Myself, not a member of FN, and having never done a PPV or streamed any type of broadcast (thus attaining the epitome of dino-hood), am content with the theater premier.

:satisfied:

• Like 1

The stream is pretty clean here. I'm on Verizon FIOS.

I'm on FiOS too, 25MB up and down, and I live outside Philly. I've frozen three times. Got the live support who explained it was a server issue and they were in the process of upgrading (when? A bit fuzzy...) At the risk of jinxing myself, I've been OK for over an hour now. I don't think it's a browser issue and the tech didn't even suggest (or ask about) that.

As long as the delivery is consistently good I'm happy to pay for it. Maybe DCI should partner with someone (IBM, etc.) who has the delivery channel thing down. Comparisons have been made to WWE; I'm pretty certain they're using a company to do the webstreaming. And yes, I know their audience is exponentially larger, but DCI could do the same. Just focus on the product and make nice revenue from it.

Edited by Phillygwm

Oh, man, take a minute and get Chrome for Mac. Or just use Safari. I've never been a fan of FF on Mac. Too many stability issues.

I have not had any issues with FF on a Mac, but I will take a look at Chrome.

Have you tried Chrome? That's what I'm using and it's smooth as butter.

Good idea. I'll try that!

It is ABSURD to think DCI does not want as many people to watch as possible. Unfortunately, that vehicle is not currently available. This is an effort to maximize revenue from those who ALREADY have an interest in watching DCI in one form, or another. Whatever funds DCI gets from this effort are NEW funds. Funds they probably were not going to get otherwise. Think about it, how many marching music fans are out there in Europe and the Far East to tap (despite the time differential)?

I hear your concerns. They are valid. I just think Pay-Per-View is the product of the future. For many reasons.

1) I've learned I've reached my maximum quota for "positives" for today. Weird you can have a max. of positives (I get the maximum negatives I guess, but we have a ceiling with how appreciative/supportive/agreeable we can be?)

2) Totally agree with you. What DCI is doing seems to be the "compromise" between giving us what we've wanted/been asking for (I myself have been practically begging DCI to do this for several years) and trying to ensure that they a) make enough money to cover their operating costs (I vaguely remember reading that they maybe break even with the FN subscribers, maybe turn a slight profit?) and b) they can 'justify' the potential for losing ticket admission financially. FWIW the cost of streaming Finals is still LESS than the average price of a ticket (average price = roughly $85 per), so IMO we're getting a better deal that I honestly had hoped for!

This is also a way for DCI to collect money they wouldn't normally be getting: like money from me paying to stream Finals in Southern CA that wouldn't get a penny of otherwise.

I think anyone who thinks this is an attempt to pull in new fans is just being silly (or maybe naive in regards to marketing): as you point out, this is ALL about maximizing revenue + delivering fan service

• Like 3

. . . or in other words the problem is not the DCI feed.

I think the problem is with streaming live video in general. Streaming recorded video seems to be pretty fantastic these days, but the technology for streaming live video still needs some work it seems. The same problems exist when CBS tries to stream live basketball games during the NCAA tournament.

. . . or in other words the problem is not the DCI feed.

I think the problem is with streaming live video in general. Streaming recorded video seems to be pretty fantastic these days, but the technology for streaming live video still needs some work it seems. The same problems exist when CBS tries to stream live basketball games during the NCAA tournament.

perc-

We have much in common.

Marketing is ALL about MAXIMIZING revenue. That not only means finding new customers, but also, getting ALL you can from current customers. Both DCI and DCA have a body of customers who simply will not, or can not, attend live. Here is a way to provide an alternative product they might well have interest in purchasing. Bottom line, unless you place something on the shelf, it's not there to buy. Time to see what happens with this approach. Congratulations, DCI!

• Like 1