DCI major announcement?

By your logic, no one should pay more for the finals tickets than semi's or quarters either.

Why should they, except for the prestige of being there the last day and seeing retreat? There are fewer corps than either previous night, there are more people, and medals are awarded. That's the only material difference. Seems to me the only reason for DCI to charge more is that they know more people go will go. And yes, if I had the money to go to Indy but not enough to comfortably do all three, I'd definitely choose quarters or semis over finals financially. More corps for cheaper? Yes please!

Oversimplification. The costs to stream to 1000 are much higher than streaming to 100. There's a happy medium, and DCI has found it.

It's certainly not $50 per person higher. Surely you don't believe that. They are charging $25 per stream for this Atlanta show (less if you account for fan network subscribers). Is the cost of streaming finals more than twice the cost of streaming Atlanta?

A lifetime of buying and watching shows? Live, PPV and streamed? Experience with producing live events? Take your pick.

And DCI is still as small as its ever been and apparently struggling financially.

• Like 1

The price is reasonable to you. But is it reasonable to the thousands of other fans that would watch if it was cheaper?

That's like saying more people would by cars by Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, and Pagoni if they were cheaper. You have to find the correct price point based on production costs and value.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 1

No ... for everyone. There is no question that they are substitutable to some extent, but there is no comparison between watching (and particularly listening) to a live show and watching a mediocre internet stream. They are different products and one is clearly superior to the other. Why do you think people pay thousands of dollars to go to the Super Bowl when they could get a better view for free in their living room?

I am in no way saying they should not be streaming finals. I am saying they should be doing it at a reasonable price to attract the largest audience possible while recouping their costs. That is how you grow the activity.

If the DCI Pay-Per-View for this was $1, I'm not so sure how many NEW fans would partake. How would they know? I see this as a way to embrace ALL MANNER of current drum corps fans. And, make a buck, too!

Honestly, I think anyone who attends the Super Bowl live is an idiot. To do so, is not about what one will see. Rather about what one can BOAST they did.

Look, fans who know nothing about DCI aren't going to magically trip across the Fan Network on August 10th. This is meant for fans who already know about it. And because we get to stream it, I can hook this up to a projector at my school, and get 10-20 people together to watch it. So instead of all of us trying to book it across country, or paying thousands of dollars, we can all do it for $50, and I can even charge a cover fee to make my money back. Also means that people who aren't die-hard fans can come and watch as much or as little of it as they want, without a huge fee. Finals tickets cost the same whether you watch all 12 or just one corps. I think it's $125 for a Finals ticket. This is less than half of that. Which means I can expose casual fans to it, without them having to go see the live show. I think it's worth my money and experience, but everyone's mileage will vary with this

• Like 2

And DCI is still as small as its ever been and apparently struggling financially.

So they combat that by making a live stream available to customers that is priced to offset that financial struggle, and you whine because it's too expensive? You can't have it both ways.

It's certainly not $50 per person higher. Surely you don't believe that. They are charging $25 per stream for this Atlanta show (less if you account for fan network subscribers). Is the cost of streaming finals more than twice the cost of streaming Atlanta?

In fairness, the infrastructure for this thing doesn't usually scale linearly, i.e. doubling the load can more than double the cost to support that load behind the scenes. It doesn't jive with my intuition either, but both of our intuitions are based on very little hard data about expected viewership, the infrastructure of the FN, etc.

Plus, DCI does need to make money here. They won't survive on fairy dust and our good wishes. They need solid cash in order to survive and keep providing the amazing services they do to the kids. Call it a donation then to keep DCI running if that makes it easier on your head and wallet.

That's like saying more people would by cars by Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, and Pagoni if they were cheaper. You have to find the correct price point based on production costs and value.

No! That is not how you set prices at all. Geez. It is supply and demand.