DCI major announcement?

I was a bit disappointed that even with a Fan Network subscription, you still have to pay extra for finals, but I guess "we" have to make money somehow...I may just watch semis (included in the subscription) and wait for the DVDs for Finals...haven't decided yet..

I think the $69 bucks is a fair price for the people that are not FN subscibers.

For the FN subscibers that have been there all season though they should have made it a bigger discount.

This coming from someone that was NOT a FN subsciber BTW.

I think the $69 bucks is a fair price for the people that are not FN subscibers.

For the FN subscibers that have been there all season though they should have made it a bigger discount.

This coming from someone that was NOT a FN subsciber BTW.

being the first year for this, i imagine they may change the price in the future if they continue this.

but its finals, and really the only show that matters in the grand scheme of the season. I don't see why $50 is bad for subscribers, many of which go to shows live when they are in the area. But we don't demand a discount from DCI when we attend a show despite giving them our money for the fan network.

which opens up the idea of having a DCI rewards card. you pay... idk $100?... you get the fan network and discounts for tickets for select shows.

whatdya think?

You earn points and over time you can win a free blu ray or dvd or stuff. maybe tickets too. the possibilities are endless.

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed that even with a Fan Network subscription, you still have to pay extra for finals, but I guess "we" have to make money somehow...I may just watch semis (included in the subscription) and wait for the DVDs for Finals...haven't decided yet..

I'm happy to have Finals as an add-on option. The alternative, surely, would be to charge $50 more for the FN subscription. Maybe next year they will add a Finals + Blu-ray + LIVE package that'll give a discount or something, although I suppose they already are doing that and the discount is $20, so hey, free twenty bucks! :thumbup:

I wish drumcat were still around to fill us in on these kinds of details. I'm hoping they are going with a different streaming provider than whatever Fan Network is on (Brightcove?), or if not that, then a new architecture to balance things out better, given the issues we've seen with the big events this year.

I also hope their front-end web servers for dcifinals.com are going to be able to handle the load throughout. I couldn't connect to Fan Network when I got home Sunday night so I missed seeing the last few corps live, but it appears the stream (mostly) held up for folks who were already in, so that says to me that their front end servers (which should be relatively easy to scale up/out) need a boost, at least on livestream nights. (This is the magic of cloud computing, y'all. Spin up some extra servers as you need them on regional nights, run barebones in the off-season.)

They said they were using the same infrastructure as FN, so quality will probably be similar to the choices offered for Atlanta.

Personally I think the HQ & HQ Beta feeds this year have had very acceptable video quality. Audio quality has been highly dependent on the mic setup - I assume for semis/finals, we'll get the feed from the same mics used for the DVDs.

Any live-streamed product is going to occasionally have network hiccups. I don't really have the expectation that streaming live finals will be glitch-free, any more than if I streamed a live sports event, or a live Met Opera performance, or whatever. As long as you can easily reconnect to the stream and skip back if you missed something, it's all good.

Stopped following this thread a few pages ago. But, if you skip paying the $18 (or so) for the theater prelims, you're down to $51/$31. What's the average cost these days for every mile you drive? A buck plus? Figure how far you have to travel round trip on August 8th plus the convenience and paying DCI begins to look pretty good.

Edited by Ghost

This doesn't matter to me, as I will be at finals. But if I weren't I think $50 is a little bit steep for someone that already has the FN package. To me, finals is not even the best show of the week. Prelims to me are the best. All the corps in 1 day. Most corps don't put on any better of a show on finals night than they do any other day of the week. In fact, sometimes the lower tier are already resigned to last place, or next to last, and almost seem to lose a little energy. If I wasn't going to be at finals, I probably wouldn't pay that amount to stream them, when I could see every corps, and tons more the day before, for less money. And the quality level just doesn't seem to be all that great for the streaming, and with all the issues with the streams cutting out, and sound quality not being the best, I'd be ticked if I did spend $50 for one show, and the stream was not perfect.

Stopped following this thread a few pages ago. But, if you skip paying the $18 (or so) for the theater prelims, you're down to $51/$31. What's the average cost these days for every mile you drive? A buck plus? Figure how far you have to travel round trip on August 8th plus the convenience and paying DCI begins to look pretty good.

And again:

* PPV for Non-FN subscriber =$69

* PPV for FN subscriber =$49

* average ticket price for DCI WC Championship Finals = $87.50

** TOTAL SAVINGS FOR Non-FN SUBSCRIBER = $18.50

** TOTAL SAVINGS FOR FN SUBSCRIBER = $38.50

And that cost savings is for ONE TICKET ONLY! I have a family of three, so ticket price alone for us is on average $262.50

PPV for Non-FN subscriber (which we are this season) =$69

** TOTAL SAVINGS FOR FAMILY OF 3 ON ADMISSION ALONE = $193.50

Plus savings on hotel, airfare, and food.

Even if we bought the cheapest ticket prices, at $50 per, we'd be looking at paying $150 just for the cheapest tickets at DCI Finals!

** TOTAL SAVINGS ON EVEN CHEAP ADMISSION = $81

Oh, and without this service my family, and many others like us, would have no other way of affordably seeing DCI WC Finals!

And DCI would have no way to make extra revenue on people like us!

At $69 for the live feed, If I can get 6 people to chip in $10 (which, is about half of the local-show ticket price to see about 8 corps in a smallish HS stadium) the cost to me really isn't that big of a deal.

This is such a great idea; I'm really looking forward to see how this works!!!

• Like 3

This doesn't matter to me, as I will be at finals. But if I weren't I think $50 is a little bit steep for someone that already has the FN package. To me, finals is not even the best show of the week. Prelims to me are the best. All the corps in 1 day. Most corps don't put on any better of a show on finals night than they do any other day of the week. In fact, sometimes the lower tier are already resigned to last place, or next to last, and almost seem to lose a little energy. If I wasn't going to be at finals, I probably wouldn't pay that amount to stream them, when I could see every corps, and tons more the day before, for less money. And the quality level just doesn't seem to be all that great for the streaming, and with all the issues with the streams cutting out, and sound quality not being the best, I'd be ticked if I did spend $50 for one show, and the stream was not perfect.

So why are you spending at least $50 to go to Finals if it's not even the best show of the week? Plus parking/transportation costs? That seems pretty contradictory...

Glad that this is being offered, although I may not bite since it's just me as the corps nut in the family and I've already shelled out for the Blu-Ray FN package.

Still, it's something to consider in the years to come to get the "Finals Watching Party" crowd back together. :smile:

Any live-streamed product is going to occasionally have network hiccups. I don't really have the expectation that streaming live finals will be glitch-free, any more than if I streamed a live sports event, or a live Met Opera performance, or whatever. As long as you can easily reconnect to the stream and skip back if you missed something, it's all good.

Agreed... however, I personally wasn't able to connect to the Fan Network website at all last night about an hour prior to the show being over. Sounds like others had similar experiences. That would be unnacceptable for a one-time extra-fee event.