DCI major announcement?

of course DCI is already replaying finals Saturday at 10pm anyway ...

Where did they announce this? Is it only for those who.bought a DVD/Blu-Ray?

After all the crap spewed on here about DCI NOT streaming finals, they're finally doing it & we're complaining it's too expensive?!?!?

I don't know about the people complaining, but they may never, EVER try this again if enough people don't jump on it. Indy is a 16 hour drive for me, so gas, plus hotel, tickets, food is way more than $49. I'm in!!!

No complaining on my part, just a fact-- I simply can't afford the additional cost right now. (To be honest, I couldn't really afford SA either but went anyway--and paid a bit for it, unfortunately.) I'm glad they're finally offering it but I doubt I'll be getting it this year.

Because DCI is clearly on that level of brand.

The Wrestlemania/DCI Finals comparison works because both events are roughly the same in terms of length and amount of "show" you get for the money. I think the price is right where it should be. Cheaper than attending live (significantly so, in fact) but you get to see and hear everything. I expect DCI to pull out all the stops with interviews, guests, and side features between performances, a la the old PBS live cast.

I'm probably going to host a viewing party in my living room. It's going to be fun!

I think people were hoping for, "I want DCI to broadcast Finals for free. Also, put all the shows on youtube instead of Fan Network. I don't really want to pay for drum corps: but I want DCI to up their quality and product at zero extra cost to me." Something like that

From the folks who don't believe they should pay for intellectual property.......

• Like 1

Let's remember, anyone who purchases this is ALREADY familiar with the activity. Otherwise, how will they know it's available? I mean, your next door neighbor won't know anything about this unless you tell them.

It's a way to capture revenue from those fans who, for whatever reason, will not attend anyway. That's a win/win!

Those who ARE attending live are spending much more for the live experience. With hotels, travel expenses, parking, restaurant meals, etc. the bill becomes substantial. In the end, however, DCI is the recipient of just ONE small part of their total expense . . . the ticket. At $69, DCI STILL gets almost the same revenue as it receives from someone attending in person. No? Besides, if an individual and their spouse spends an evening watching at home, that's $34.50 per person. Not too bad!

• Like 1

The Wrestlemania/DCI Finals comparison works because both events are roughly the same in terms of length and amount of "show" you get for the money. I think the price is right where it should be. Cheaper than attending live (significantly so, in fact) but you get to see and hear everything. I expect DCI to pull out all the stops with interviews, guests, and side features between performances, a la the old PBS live cast.

I'm probably going to host a viewing party in my living room. It's going to be fun!

This is a good point I hadn't thought of. If there's lots of extra content like that rather than just cameras on the field, that would make the $70 a lot more palatable, though still out of my budget. And no drum corps friends around to thow a finals rent party, although that sounds like a lot of fun.

DCI is streaming finals for the same exact price the WWE streams Wrestlemania for (which is the same as the PPV). It's a very reasonable, competitive price.

It just proves some people will complain about anything.

Your comment makes absolutely no sense. Is DCI competing with Wrestlemania? I'm sure there are many that can and will pay to watch the finals stream, but not as many as would be watching if the price were more reasonable. That seems to be DCI's M.O. though ... gouge the die hard fans and keep the activity as obscure as possible.

Edited by jasgre2000

Good to see they are at least listening, but DCI is doing it wrong.

YES the hardcore fan will look at cost of going to Indy vs cost of streaming and consider it a reasonable price. No one without a DCP membership will stream for $70.

The goal here is to target the large base of high school band kids, band parents, college students, classical music fans, etc...none of which are interested in a $70 price point.

The WWE comparison is invalid. WWE is a high quality produced 720p broadcast over a reliable cable or satellite connection. DCI puts on a fine job but it's still an internet stream in low-definition.

You'd be surprised how few high school and college band kids have even heard of DCI. Where is your future fanbase to come from?

The idea is to get the best DCI content to as many people as possible so they will in turn attend local events and regional championships. This looks just like a test run to make sure the diehard DCP types will still show up.

• Like 2

Let's remember, anyone who purchases this is ALREADY familiar with the activity. Otherwise, how will they know it's available? I mean, your next door neighbor won't know anything about this unless you tell them.

It's a way to capture revenue from those fans who, for whatever reason, will not attend anyway. That's a win/win!

Those who ARE attending live are spending much more for the live experience. With hotels, travel expenses, parking, restaurant meals, etc. the bill becomes substantial. In the end, however, DCI is the recipient of just ONE small part of their total expense . . . the ticket. At $69, DCI STILL gets almost the same revenue as it receives from someone attending in person. No? Besides, if an individual and their spouse spends an evening watching at home, that's $34.50 per person. Not too bad!

A webcast is not comparable to a live performance. They are apples and oranges.

Well, seeing as how folks on here have predicted DCI's demise each and every year for the last 20, I expect to see nothing but negativity towards any announcement they make. If they were offering free tickets to everyone on DCP, someone would complain that their airfare should be included since they "help" DCI so much through their ongoing critique of every step they take.

No one is holding a gun to your head to make you watch or pay for it. It's an option that didn't used to be available. I'll be tuning in from the air conditioned comfort of my media room.

• Like 2