Cadets 2013 - A Requiem for DCI...

Don't mean to come across rude, but this issue has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum in numerous threads. Rather than divert from the original crazy in the OP, I'd use the search function here to find the previous threads to get you up to speed.

Woops sorry about that! lookaround.gif

I personally don't go to the lot, i was just responding to the post saying the general and broad brush "the lot isn't interesting, but the shows are".

That hypothetical show - I probably wouldn't go to at all.

Curious; then pray tell what is a lineup that you would go see?

What I find most upsetting is that I read the OP, and understood it more than the Cadets show.

This isn't a good sign for my brain

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

But a house is not a home

Oh wait, is this the wrong answer thread ?

• Like 1

I love this out of the box type of thinking. Nice job! Not sure why you're getting so many red minuses just for being creative. It's a cruel world we live in.

Forgive me if this has been discussed to death elsewhere (if so, mods, feel free to close after the re-direct), BUT, having just seen this years version of the Cadets, a few things occurred to me and I am interested to see what the rest of you think:

Cadets 2013, originally titled Both Sides Now (an obvious allusion to a desire for resolution to the problems between certain G7 Directors and the rest of DCI), then re-titled Side By Side (seemingly an allusion to the drum corps nuclear option of the G7 breakaway organization Music in Motion), seems to tell the story of the last few years of internal strife within the DCI organization. This post is about what I think I saw based on my initial viewing, though I will stop short of applying the interpretation to specific events of the past few years. Perhaps others can help fill in the gaps if you agree?

To start, the towers are purple and we have two sides. The music here is the Barber Adagio for Strings, a piece known to be played as a requiem (at the death of FDR, JFK, Einstein, many times after 9/11, etc.). This sets the scene for what is to come. One side goes to join the other and there is a good deal of turbulence through Symphony No. 1 as both sides are working.

As the second production begins, we have some back and forth call and response and the towers change from purple (both sides) to redish, showing us what is happening on that "side" only (or perhaps that things are controlled by that side?). The Adagio continues to hang over and haunt the production as things get more and more intense leading to a big clash at the end of the red tower section.

The towers turn again and show us what is happening on the back "side" of things as there is much lamenting over the issues at hand.

The final tower turn brings on the mash-up of Medea and Adagio and brings us to the viewpoint of the other "side".

After writing all this out, perhaps I will try a stab at applying to specific events:

Purple: G7 goes to DCI board meeting with the G7 Presentation, arguments ensue.

Redish: G7 Directors are ousted from DCI Board of Directors and DCI is controlled by the other (non-G7) "side".

Muted Yellow: A period of sadness follows.

Bright Yellow: A resolution is reached by the G7 "side" to break away from DCI and exist "Side By Side" with it as MiM.

They are playing Medea to remind us of the last thing that was played on a DCI field by Star before they broke away (successfully) from DCI to pursue another venture that was not exactly drum corps, but used the drum corps model at first. They are playing Adagio as a requiem for what DCI has been and has meant to them, providing personal closure to the issue before breaking away themselves. They bookend with Adagio and leave with their backs to us because they do not intend to come back after 2013.

Thoughts?

that's so deep DCI designers and GE judges are reading this going "what the ####?"

• Like 1

Thoughts?

• Like 3

Cadets' show this year is my :blink:/> show as far as theme goes. But one thing in particular sticks out to me:

Why is there no reference to INside vs OUTside?

In line with the OP's analysis, then, it seems Cadets are describing the conflict but not the resolution.

Maybe they realize there is no IN versus OUT to discuss, and that it's simply all about the conflict.

Or, perhaps they just forgot.