If BD Wins, We Riot!

Exactly what I was saying in my earlier post. They can do everything they are doing technically, and still entertain the crowd. For whatever inexplicable reason, they refuse to do so.

Entertaining the masses is like educating to the most common denominator. Yes there is mass appeal but what are we really achieving? Pushing the audience in new directions, that's a whole other level of effect.

• Like 2

You are the one who is totally wrong. When a person is booing the placement of Crown in 2nd place, he/she is telling the BD members that they do not deserve their victory, no matter how well they performed.

Saying they don't deserve it is different than what they are actually saying while booing which is that they don't AGREE with the placement (regardless if its deserved)

Edited by charlie1223

Why EVER would they say such lies about this amazing show? They may tell their members that they are doing a show that is aimed at higher levels of emotions as opposed to the visceral 'throwing babies' reaction... but I would guess that BD members already know that going in.

Higher, or just different? What makes a viscerally-felt emotion "low"?

Entertaining the masses is like educating to the most common denominator. Yes there is mass appeal but what are we really achieving? Pushing the audience in new directions, that's a whole other level of effect.

DCI over the years has had lots of Corps shows " push the envelope ". It would be folly to believe that all of them were duds with audiences. Lots of Corps introduced completely ( at the time ) new, fresh, complex, creative shows that both " pushed the envelope " of creatvity and innovation while still thrilling audiences. "Pushing the envelope " and being sumultaneously entertaining to diverse audiences is not mutually exclusive at all. Lots of " high art " as well as " high brow music " has been received well by " the masses " over the centuries. Its all in the presentation. Those show designers that believe that " pushing the envelope " means automatically losing " the masses " are engaging in self delusional cop outs where they blame their audiences for being to stupid to appreciate their creative brilliance and genius. That borders on narcissism when elites take this position in the Art World or in the Music realm.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

There's plenty of programs to like if you dislike BDs. Is it the fact that they continue to win that's bothering you guys? I'm beginning the think the reaction to their show this year may surpass the reaction to the Rite of Spring the first time it was heard. And now it is considered on the the most significant compositions in the history of music.

Cutting edge in the arts is never popular in it's time and usually in hind sight it become appreciated for it's contribution.

Actually the music has never caused a riot. It was the ballet that caused a riot (once). The music from Rite of Spring was performed many times during Stravinsky's life with nary a shivaree.

Not sure why this thread is still going.

Nearly everyone agrees there's no need for booing in drum corps.

BD fans yelling it's ALL about ABBD. People are just lying about it.

The rest of DCP saying we love BD -- just hate their shows.

And Crown fans saying " Who cares -- can we just please get that first championship? "

Go PurplePantsBand !!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

IMO, you either like the show or you don't. You can't make everybody happy so it is what it is.

Why EVER would they say such lies about this amazing show? They may tell their members that they are doing a show that is aimed at higher levels of emotions as opposed to the visceral 'throwing babies' reaction... but I would guess that BD members already know that going in.

Higher, or just different? What makes a viscerally-felt emotion "low"?

He's talking about the hierarchy of emotional responses in psychology.

Ah, so it was a descriptive rather than a judgmental term, and thus interchangeable with "different". Thanks, that helps.

Ah, so it was a descriptive rather than a judgmental term, and thus interchangeable with "different". Thanks, that helps.

Well, that's an oversimplification, as there are distinctions between emotions on different layers. The terms low and high are accurate. But I'm no expert in this field, and don't remember a lot of what was in that class...

They do entertain the crowd. Maybe not you or a handful of whiners who are doing the verbal equivalent of holding their breath until they get their way.

There is nothing particularly ennobling nor endearing about people not respecting the opinions of others when it comes to what they like or don't like in music or Art. Its the height of intolerance to engage in name calling, ie " whiners " because they don't like what you like. Its pompous. Its arrogant. You are entitled to like and dislike what you want. It would be rude of me however to call you " a whiner " because you did not like what I liked.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3