If BD Wins, We Riot!

Oh ok, I thought that you were referring to DCP'ers here that find BD's show unappealing for one reason or another as " whiners ". If you are referring to those that booed BD's win in Atlanta as " whiners ", thats cool and all.

I think there is a distinction to be made from the audience response immediately after BD finishes their show ( lukewarm at best ) and that of the few people that decided to boo the scores later at retreat. The stands seemed packed when BD performed, but after they got mostly golf claps, most fans ran to the exits at the completion of the show. People arn't staying for the scores and placements like they used too... possibly because the placements really don't change much year over end. But who knows. In any event, that leaves the hard core fans behind that are fixated on the scores and the placements at this July Regional. So when the scores were announced one did hear the audible frustration with the judges with the announcement that BD won. Booing is rude, but what are you going to do ? I'd pay it no mind. Telling rude people not to boo is like telling a duck not to quack. Don't waste your time on it. Its futile.

I agree. You just have to look at the past 10 years Top 5: BD, Cadets, Cavs and PR have all won titles. SCV have not, Crown and BC round off the the top five in those year's and they have not won titles as well. It would be interesting to see the response / reaction if three of these corps did not make the top five.

1. Fans have the right to boo.
  2. Fans are booing because they don't think the Blue Devils had the winning show.
  3. Fans would enthusiastically cheer a first place Blue Devils show if it was accessible to the majority of fans.

• Like 1

2. Fans are booing because they don't think the Blue Devils had the winning show.
  3. Fans would enthusiastically cheer a first place Blue Devils show if it was accessible to the majority of fans.

NO they want Crown to win IMO. The shows that the top 12 are putting out are great and I will add Troops to the list also.

• Like 1

IMO a lot of the running for the exits as opposed to staying through retreat long ago is the ability to find out the scores on the web within minutes of their announcement, esp with iPhones and the like. You don't even have to wait until you get home anymore.

If a stadium had a loud PA system, for decades, many would be at their vehicle, ready to leave and beat the traffic. With more smart phones, as you mentioned, even more fans are trying to beat the traffic (especially those who have hours of driving ahead) and become hypocrites as they drive and pull up the scores if they are driving alone.

NO they want Crown to win IMO. The shows that the top 12 are putting out are great and I will add Troops to the list also.

If the Blue Devils were playing "Big Bad and Blue" this year and winning I would bet my new set of dentures you would not hear booing.

• Like 3

As the paying ticket-buyer the fans most definitely have a right to boo.

However, I suggest those who feel the need to boo turn around and point to the pressbox and boo the judges.

If fans are booing BD's show, then why are they not boo-ed when they enter the field or, even, when their show is done?

Fans boo the outcome. Their booing should be directed at the pressbox.

The kids on the field had NO CHOICE in show programming.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 2

If the Blue Devils were playing "Big Bad and Blue" this year and winning I would bet my new set of dentures you would not hear booing.

But this is a PROGRAMMING decision that has NOTHING to do with the kids on the field.

Why boo the performers?

Why not, instead, find Dave Gibbs down on the track, get in HIS face, and boo?

EDIT: Or better yet, pay Mike Boo to stand in front of Gibbs and say nothing. Every time Gibbs moves, there's a Boo in front of him!

Edited by garfield

I boo'd the score announcement in San Antonio along with many many others.

And here's why:

"Those are kids on the field." Not really. The average age of a top tier corps is closer to 20 than 17. This is no longer a "youth" activity and hasn't been for a long time.

"They march the show they're given." Maybe in most corps, but this is wrong for two reasons. Anyone who has joined BD this year knows what they're signing up for. It's not like these types of shows are new to the corps and a surprise to the members. The corps members help design the show. BD basically writes out big set moments and corps members suggest ways to get from point A to point B. BD members have a ton more input into the show than any other corps.

"Write a letter." And you'll get a form response. Fans didn't enjoy a show one year....maybe two? It happens. Fans see the winning corps put on "golf-clap" shows year after year and that's a problem. We pay good money to see these shows; money that DCI needs. If anything more people should be willing to voice their disapproval of the system instead of just sitting back and letting it happen.

"It' a subjective sport and the judges see it otherwise." True, but if the judges opinion is the only one that matters, then close the events off to the public. In this age of instant communication, we have to find a way to get an accurate representation of the crowd at regionals and finals. This is why people are frustrated. They see corps with a lot of support and an amazing show losing to a corps that gets a golf-clap. This is bad for the activity. It tells corps that, if they want to win, they have to design like BD. Crown's show this year is already much more like BD than last year's show. I like Crowns show and I love some moments of it, but I loved all of Crown's show last year. I really don't want 1/2 the corps to do BD style shows. I don't want 1/2 the corps to do Madison style shows. I want each corps to do what they do. If BD wants to keep on this style? Cool. But the fans need a say.

"People hate because it's easy to hate the winner." False. This "BD is just the Yankees of DCI" idea is unsupported. Maybe 10 years ago this was true. I've never been a BD fan, but I've never been a "hater" either. I disagree with the system. I don't, for a second, doubt BD's abilities on the field. You'd have to be a fool to doubt that.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but right now I have to go to work. Yay day 1 band camp. lol

• Like 3

I boo'd the score announcement in San Antonio along with many many others.

The corps members help design the show. BD basically writes out big set moments and corps members suggest ways to get from point A to point B. BD members have a ton more input into the show than any other corps.

I'd like to know your source for this, something that I can verify.

If it is, in fact, true then each and every member who contributed to the show deserves boo'd by your logic.

I call B.S. until you show proof of your claim.