If BD Wins, We Riot!

You all need a break. listen to this. hehe

I have never been really into drill/visual, so I don't comment on those areas. This music, however, is very cool.

Would anyone out there be willing to take six minutes to hear some jazz?

So what have we learned here Children? And that includes you little Missy….yeah, you in the back row with the granny glasses, bad bun, high top shoes, poor fitting dentures and shawl that's probably full of cat hair!

We have learned that liking or not liking something is our choice.

We have learned that old things we once liked a great deal can't always come again.

We have learned that DCI judges are different than us…..strange old people that bump into things and never like what we like.

We have learned we are all experts at just about everything we claim.

We have learned that we get tired of the same old, same old……particularly if the same old ain't the same old.

We have learned that being rude, uncivil and disrespectful to performers we will never know, is our right……and to some…our chore.

We have particularly learned that youtube will show some fool (during announcement for 2nd place from DCI Atlanta 2013) looking like a 4 year old that just dropped his ice-cream cone……..but will not show a kid who is sweating in 92 degree Georgia heat on a high school football field, lugging a euphonium back to his last set he's done 6 times in a row…..and about to do again....all for the entertainment of that fool.

We have learned that somehow there are DCP members who are mentally linked-in to "most people" and therefore speak for them.

We have learned that some folks that want things to be like they used to be….get angry and disappointed when instead those things desire to be new and of their own making (not realizing they have no right to be different).

Surprise of surprises…we have learned that competitive outcomes apparently do matter and can ultimately ruin our entire entertainment experience……if they are not aligned with our expectations.

We have learned that no matter how many company fronts we see marching slowly toward the stands blasting our movables…..we need at least one more….or God is not in his heaven.

Apparently we have learned that striving and achieving the pinnacle of your activity only to be rewarded by anger and noises is normal in life and we should learn to live with it…….grow up!

And most importantly….. we have learned that tolerance gives way and we punish the things we don't instinctively care for…..particularly if they are rewarded by strangers.

Class is dismembered!

/End thread. thumbup.gifworthy.gif

THAT... was sad behavior? Really? You may wish to board up your windows and wait out life from your kitchen.

Look carefully at the 1985 finale. When SCV is announced in 2nd (which they were lucky to get that night), a fat guy in the end zone stands up and slams his program to the cold, cold cement.

Pretty sad behavior.

Doubtful in August. Ba-dum-dum.

I didn't find the behavior sad, just lame and a tad humorous. You have to scrawny awkward looking teens yelling at each other about who will win a regional that has no effect whatsoever on their lives. I understand people get heated about such things, but c'mon, this isn't even finals. I imagine them going home and playing Magic: The Gathering and yelling at each other for whomever wins that.

Now excuse me, I have more internet message boards to stalk.

Edited by c.l.

If BD wins we stand up and cheer for those kids hard work. If Crown wins we stand up and applaud their hard work. If the Cadets win, we do the same. You may not like the show concept, but booing, rioting or other immature acts arnt neccessary in this youth activity. Give the kids a break. Applaud them for their tireless work and for a great season.

• Like 1

Bringing this over from the closed thread.

I found it ironic that some state you cannot speak for others when making your case about where or how the booing was being directed because you had no way of having that data or speaking for others. Others argue on the opposite side of the debate and made their case by stating that the booing was directed at the kids on the field, again not knowing if or how many of those kids on the field are being affected, but still apparently speaking for the kids on the field.

The conversation seems to indicate the displeasure that caused the booing was directed as a result of those corps participating at the top of the competition, therefor the kids affected would be the members of those top corps because of the competition.

I also wondered out loud earlier how many of those on both sides of the debate were in the lot watching those corps at the top of the competition and did not go in to see the shows of Pioneer, or Music City, or Cascades, or Genesis, etc.

Imagine how those kids might have felt to have that much more support inside the stadium instead of outside in the lot.

Just thinkin' out loud...

• Like 3

Forgive me...I've only read half of the 64 pages of this thread...

But, from where I stood at the Dome, when second place was announced and the booing began, it wasn't in displeasure of BD's show content winning, but more of the fact that people were wanting Crown to win and didn't.

After Crown's show, they got very good crowd response. BD did not.

After 2nd was announced...boos were heard. Again...more in support of Crown win than a disapproval of the actual winning corps' repertoire.

Also keep in mind...we were in the deep south, and Crown is a southern corps. To quote Rondo from the 1980 telecast..."The South loves the South". It doesn't surprise me that there were boos...the favored corps didn't win.

I went to BD Entertainment to see what people were paying the Blue Devils to do at corporate functions, sporting events and TV Commercials.

It's interesting that every one of the videos I watched are highly energized and "popular" (you might almost call it "old-school"). These are corporate big shots who are paying real money to have the Blue Devils come entertain their people or fans or whatever. None of it is what they are putting on the field the past several years.

Click Here to See.

"Non-profit" doesn't mean you can't make money. "Non-profit" just means you have to spend all the money you make on your mission, you can't give it to your investors.

Making money is the number one priority of all of these groups. Without money, they would not exist. The first thing any new drum corps has to do is decide how to start raising money. To do otherwise would be outrageously irresponsible. The groups that have survived this far, by definition, put money first.

Agreed. Some folks on here really need to take a business 101 class. I think this is the reason a lot of organizations (including corps) fail. Yes, you have to stick to your mission so that people are passionate about what you do. BUT, you HAVE to make money. Building capital is the way successful organizations grow and make it through the tough times. People were sure griping on here when Glassmen decided not to tour and Teal Sound quit during the tour. You know why? They didn't have enough capital reserve to make it through a tough time. When the price of diesel spikes 20% suddenly, if you aren't fiscally sound, you sink.

Making money isn't the reason for the organization existing, but it IS the top priority. If it isn't, you won't be around long.

BD is merely following the sheets, and for that, they've had three undefeated seasons (two in a friggin' ROW!).

IF (emphasis on the if) this is true then I think that's what is upsetting many. There is a feeling that BD is writing their show to a sheet and not to the fans which is why they are winning with shows that most people don't like* but the judges do.

*Disclaimer: I know I will be rebutted for writing on behalf of others and how can I possibly know what others feel? My answer is common sense.