Allentown 2013

As someone else said just a few posts back, if Fugett hadn't had SCV as low as he did, this contest night would have ended with a different victor.

While true... and you and others are focusing on Fugett, the other GE Music judge, Ken Turner for the first time this seasson is the first judge in 9 head to head previous matchups to place SCV over the Cadets in GE Music,... and did so by 3 tenths. So which is the outlier in this caption up to tonite, Fugett or Turner ? I'd say Turner. That said, I'm thrilled to see SCV do well in GE Music as I love their traditional based, audience friendly show.

Edited by BRASSO

If that's true, I'm really surprised. GE is the one area Spirit is *miles* better than Blue Stars. I'd buy it in achievement captions. But not effect.

GE is still performance driven, just like every other caption. There was a serious push for GE points tonight by the Blue Stars with the addition of the dress that goes over the hornline after the closing notes, not to mention other subtleties I've not noticed since I saw them in Dublin, and they've obviously paid off for the night.

You were at the show tonight?

No I wasn't I wasn't there. So then I need to congratulate them on what must have been an amazingly productive cleaning session since I saw them in Atlanta. I had my doubts after I didn't see much improvement between when I had seen them live in San Antonio and when I saw them live again in Atlanta..

Edited by bluesman

No I wasn't I wasn't there. So then I need to congratulate them on what must have been an amazingly productive cleaning session since I saw them in Atlanta. I had my doubts after I didn't see much improvement between when I had seen them live in San Antonio and when I saw them live again in Atlanta..

When you only have a show all but one day between regionals and add a new ending it is hard to get a lot of cleaning done. It has been pretty tight between Spirit and Blue stars since Minneapolis, so these scores shouldn't be a complete shock. It will be interesting how this plays out for the rest of the season!!

He was merely correcting my error. I said they had scored 86.95, but that was BK's score.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Yes, if you go to the Press Box site for the score, they have Spirit's score wrong on there ( although they havre it right in the recaps review section )

Music and Visual for Blue Stars and Spirit were both tied tonight. GE was the difference maker, and what's interesting about that is that the Blue Stars have been struggling with GE much of the year.

I believe the GE problem has already been fixed. We'll see the next time they go head to head which will be Sunday. Then, they won't meet again until Prelims.

Allentown Night One: quick review.

Missed first 2 corps due to traffic.

Troopers were wonderful. The uniforms are wonderful and the show is pleasing musically and visually. My favorite corps in the first half of show.

Colts had some cool moments. I like the opening set and the beginning of the show but it loses steam as it goes.

Spirit was fun and you know what they're doing from the beginning. Some fun brass licks, color guard is solid but the theme became a bit monotonous.

Blue Stars I thought were amazing. Very mature sound, visual and was surprised they are not further ahead of Spirit. Really impressed by them.

SCV has a beautiful show and performed extremely well. They were the crowd favorite and this is classic drum corps. Beautiful visual, music has some great high points and nothing here to dislike.

Phantom looked great. Thought there guard was stellar. Sound was solid but not loving the evil queen. Just looks a bit cheesy but didn't interfere with show.

BlueCoats have a crisp brass and percussion. Show is cool in the beginning and end but gets abit long in the middle. The sound of the corps is a notch up than the visual.

CADETS- very good run but not stellar. They are still timid in areas where they made changes. This show is on a different level demand wise than SCV. So much member responsibility with varying tempos, the full field staging, still think they have the most cleaning to do whereas SCV is there. BTW, I sat with some guard people and they thought Cadets guard had tons of responsibility and performed well. Not entirely sure why they are getting dumped on score wise.

SCV should be beating Cadets in Visual GE but Cadets should be way over in Music GE due to its complexities, multiple layering..etc.

Next week will be interesting. Seems BD and Crown are duking it out for #1 and Cadets and SCV for #3.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy