kingston-racine-inverness-schuylerville

Thanks Tom,............am I correct in understanding this is new for this year?

A lot of talented young staff and members at WS,............I see a strong finish coming from them!!

the only thing new this year is competing "within class" at all shows... which is a "small" but critical change...

the only thing new this year is competing "within class" at all shows... which is a "small" but critical change...

Yea, this is actually commonplace in judging (band and corps). I thought White Sabers were over-scored by most of the panel in Downingtown, but it was *very* easy to see why that occurred, given the performance order, and the fact that though Class A, White Sabers were *vastly* better than the corps that preceded them. A lot of us were asking why the Class A corps weren't on at the beginning of the show. I'm sure DCA has a reason, I just have no idea what it is.

None of that takes away from White Sabers being the pleasant surprise of the season.

Tom, are the DCA judges still waiting until the end of the show to record scores (like last year) or are they back to scoring as they go?

Scores from Schuylerville, NY, today:

Class A

1. Windsor Regiment 73.70

2. Excelsior 68.00

3. Centurions 63.10

Open Class

1. Bushwackers 79.70

you got a palsey in your clicking finger old buddy? ya posted 4 times........LOL

• Like 1

Jeff's in Allentown tonight.

tongue.gif

and I left all Wellsware at home

• Like 1

was very pleased with and happy for White Sabres last night and also liked Windsors performance. But it seemed as though the A scores were guite high in relation to the Open scores.

Since they are on the same field with the same sheets and panel, aren't they all ranked on the same scale? Or, does each judge essentiallty clean the slate so as to have room for ranking within each class?

Also, it seems as though DCA has made it harder to space programs which are obviously at different levels by starting the scoring so high. I understand that the criteria have changed over the years, but the result of effectively using only a 40 pt range has crushed the margins of difference between struggling, emerging and successful presentations. And now, for me at least, has also fuzzied up the comparisons between A and Open scoring on the same sheets.

Not to take anything away from White Sabres. Congrats on the win and perhaps the lead going forward to A championships. But did they beat the Hurcs?

it is the same scale and numbers, and is it so bad an A Class corps beats someone in Open? The only difference in what class a corps is is their size. Smaller corps CAN be better than Larger corps, and finally we are seeing that reflected in the scores. I honestly thought it should have been happening for a few years

• Like 3

every body said their last score was real. and now we find out it wasn't. it deflated me. so now i have to agree with your points completely.

could have been an off night. Contest dynamics do play a part in the numbers as well. and if you look at Downingtown, one judge was way higher than everyone else so that could have affected it.

White Sabres are for real though.

• Like 1

White Sabres are for real though.

Agreed. They went from a good corps last year that charged hard late to claw out the last A spot into one of three corps that I think could win A. That's a big difference in ability.

What they just need to do is get as high a seed as possible for Prelims to make sure they get a read next to the Govies, preferably after them IMHO. I'm certain they already know this, and they also know it's very attainable if they just keep doing what they're doing.