Massillon Maxixe

I think it's more likely that both Cadets and Crown upped their game for tonight, being the last show before Indy. Cadets really got the crowd going, which is ironic considering how some people on DCP think that their show doesn't connect to the fans. When Cadets are on, they are ON, and both Crown and BD need to be ready to fend that off this week.

I hope you are right. I too find it interesting that folks find the show lacks emotion. The tension and release and increase in tension again kept me on the edge of my seat in Lafayette.

It sure seems like the judging panels are influencing the numbers more than I remember in the past. Perhaps it is totally performance based, but seeing this big a change in numbers, especially Cadets makes me worry that inconsistent judging will have an impact.

Someone said in another thread a month ago that they thought this was a dissapointing season and I just can't for the life of me see that. This is the best 3 (maybe 4) horse race we've really seen in years in terms of nobody going undefeated and corps swapping positions at the top. It's great that the title isn't a foregone conclusion like years past. And the other shows I've seen this year including on VOD are just really great.

I think it seems that way because there is no clear frontrunner, so it depends on the individual performances and panels. As it should be! :thumbup:

Competitively this is one of our best seasons in years, but IMO one of the worst for show design and entertainment value.

I think it's more likely that both Cadets and Crown upped their game for tonight, being the last show before Indy. Cadets really got the crowd going, which is ironic considering how some people on DCP think that their show doesn't connect to the fans. When Cadets are on, they are ON, and both Crown and BD need to be ready to fend that off this week.

I do think the judging panel is most inconsistent with the CADETS vs BD,CC or SCV and let's face it, there is not a lot of love with them and GH which can put Cadets at a disadvantage when things are really close BUT Cadets have been the least consistent performance wise of the top 3/4 and it seems they are getting into their groove finally so hopefully they continue to surge and peak Saturday..

Edited by newjerseycorpguy

Well, the Cadets were ON last night! I'd say they marched better, drummed better, their brass was close, and their guard had a much better performance. Their drill is top notch. So readable and clean and always to the point. Their total visual, however, with props and some of the guard stuff doesn't seem to have to same effect that BD and Crown get from their guard and overall visual program.

This is nit picking, and we're not talking about a big difference, but it's just enough to all add up.

The Crowd was in love with Cadets and Carolina! And the Bluecoats got a lot of love, too, although not quite the standing "O" I thought they'd get.

I hope you are right. I too find it interesting that folks find the show lacks emotion. The tension and release and increase in tension again kept me on the edge of my seat in Lafayette.

That's exactly what she said.

• Like 1

I would also throw out that the CROWD at the Massillon show deserves a little credit for the raised performance levels of the corps.

This crowd is ALWAYS one of the most receptive, non-critical, crowds on the DCI tour. They appreciate the work effort of all of the kids no matter the uniform they are wearing. Naturally the give a little more to their Bluecoats, but I saw a lot of smiles on the faces of the EVERY corps at the end of their shows last night. It's great to see them rewarded by the fans as they are in Massillon...even more so than I often see at finals.

Every corps last night, starting with Cascades, received feedback from the crowd throughout their show...not just polite applause at the end.

The stands were full with 7000+ fans that enjoy drum corps. There were a lot of high school bands in attendance. (I saw more than 30 busses just in 1 one of the lots.)

I'm sure the reception they receive not only helps the corps go into that next level of performance, but also has to be noted by the judges.

Congrats to the Bluecoats and the folks that help run this show.

thumbup.gif

I guess I feel that there's very rarely an effective release of the tension, and there's not really any development of the tension. It's there and then here's a big jazz hit or a loud chord. The ending in particular is not effective to me at all. Starts with a cliche visual fade to play backfield echoes, against a battery feature in a different tempo, then "resolved" by repeating yet again the RoS opening solo, and then a fat unison note with the weird individual-random-jump-side-step move into a random sideline set... meh.

Maybe it's the disconnect between the visual and musical tensions and releases. Thinking back on the show, there's a few places they are in sync, but many in which they are at odds with each other. Just thinking out loud here. I'm not sure I'm right in my explanations, but I definitely feel left flat by this show. And it's not the source material. And it's not BD. I thoroughly enjoyed their 2012 show once I saw it live.

I guess I feel that there's very rarely an effective release of the tension, and there's not really any development of the tension. It's there and then here's a big jazz hit or a loud chord. The ending in particular is not effective to me at all. Starts with a cliche visual fade to play backfield echoes, against a battery feature in a different tempo, then "resolved" by repeating yet again the RoS opening solo, and then a fat unison note with the weird individual-random-jump-side-step move into a random sideline set... meh.

Maybe it's the disconnect between the visual and musical tensions and releases. Thinking back on the show, there's a few places they are in sync, but many in which they are at odds with each other. Just thinking out loud here. I'm not sure I'm right in my explanations, but I definitely feel left flat by this show. And it's not the source material. And it's not BD. I thoroughly enjoyed their 2012 show once I saw it live.

I thought they were talking about Cadets?

Anyway - I do think Cadets can lack emotion in the show - they really have to push energy out due to the material and design -- the performance I saw in Allentown Sunday was strong - but even then the Medea needed to be MUCH more "angry" and ###### off sounding... STABS of music, not pokes. It was "getting there" // sounds like perhaps on Tuesday the energy level took another step forward. That's key for them...

I'm not sure when 'coats added the popping of the balloon to the show, because I don't remember it happening in Akron, but it was prominent enough last night that I heard quite a few audience members saying "awww" after it happened.

I remember several shows back I heard an observant someone say the balloon popped. In fact, I think I actually read it here on a DCP show thread. The writer made it sound like it wasn't planned. Then later the balloon was replaced. I wonder if Bloo decided to incorporate that into the show. Or if that was part of the show all along...

Anybody more familiar with Bloo's show know the story of the whimsical red balloon??

Now you have me wondering... lookaround.gif

I thought they were talking about Cadets?

Anyway - I do think Cadets can lack emotion in the show - they really have to push energy out due to the material and design -- the performance I saw in Allentown Sunday was strong - but even then the Medea needed to be MUCH more "angry" and ###### off sounding... STABS of music, not pokes. It was "getting there" // sounds like perhaps on Tuesday the energy level took another step forward. That's key for them...

Maybe. I thought he was talking about Blue Devils. :shutup:

I love the Cadets show! They were very effective musically for me when I saw them live.

Edited by skywhopper