Why Such Vitriol on DCP?

moderating. (or lack there of)

/endthread

The moderating team can't see everything, as much as we'd like to. If you see something that you'd like us to take a look at, please feel free to use that handy report button down there in the bottom left of a post.

• Like 2

The moderating team can't see everything, as much as we'd like to. If you see something that you'd like us to take a look at, please feel free to use that handy report button down there in the bottom left of a post.

Right. With the sheer volume of threads that go on here, with all the different sub forums, unless you have a HUGE moderating team, it's not going to happen. It's the nature of the beast. I'm sure all the moderators here have lives, probably busier than those that post all the time on here.....

I think that when DCP does get bad, it's because of anonymity. It's a lot easier to get heated up and say things to a computer screen that you'd never say to another person's face. Would be an interesting experiment to see what happened to DCP if everyone had to put their full name, a picture of their face, and their corps history/involvement. Not that I would want that either, but I bet things would be quite a bit more civil :tongue:

Here are two words that will send shivers up the spine of every person here who used to frequent rec.arts.marching.drumcorps.....

"Catherine" and "Howdy"

DCP is a land of sunshine, roses, rainbows and chocolate chip cookies compared to what that place was in its heyday.

smile.gif

• Like 3

I actually disagree with the OP. For the most part I see nothing but good dialogue, healthy argument and discussion, and at times people being rather blunt but honest. None of those are what I'd call mean-spirited. They are absolutely necessary in a forum like this, and not just because DCI is competitive, but also because we are looking for a way to save the activity.

In a few cases things can get ugly, things do get said that are false or just bad generalizations about issues (like when Hop bashing or TOC bashing, etc.), and there have been some downright nasty comments.

For the most part, however, I'd say 90% of discussions are cordial, honest, with good debate and some healthy bluntness. At times a person's honest opinions of a show will hurt the feelings of fans of that corps, but in fairness they have a right to their opinions. The activity is better for that.

yeah I agree. The level of discussion can be heated or passionate, but the true mean went away with RAMD with serious personal attacks etc.

The problem is some people get so defensive, anything thats criticism gets labeled an attack on the director, the kids etc....and most of that is just pure ######## smoke screen deflection tactics.

I know I myself have been labeled a hater for stating my true feelings....and if you feel that way so be it. I have an issue in my life....blunt force trauma brutal honesty with speaking my mind. To some people that's hate. But in todays overly coddled society, it's just how people see it

• Like 1

:withstupid:/>

they do look at reports. I know I've reported some of them

:tounge2:/>

[/size]

Why doesn't this happen in Indy???

the echo is a #####

:devil:/>

Here are two words that will send shivers up the spine of every person here who used to frequent rec.arts.marching.drumcorps.....

"Catherine" and "Howdy"

DCP is a land of sunshine, roses, rainbows and chocolate chip cookies compared to what that place was in its heyday.

smile.gif

IMO the good poster to idiot ratio was far higher on RAMD. It was just a handful of idiots who "ruined" things. Interestingly enough we (the regular posters) kept those idiots from invading RAMB.

So many good posters from the newsgroups rarely post here (eg. Chuck Naffier). Many good discussions with really smart folks there in the good old days.

Edited by corpsband

Those posting dinosoars, regardless of age, who answer by comparing what is said here to what was once said on RAMD just don't seem to be looking at the present situation and answering the OP. Comparing out (I'm not as sick as...) is typical of those with problems in rehab groups, AA, and other personality therapies I have studied. Why people have to take the Lord's name to emphasize their anger/frustration, use cuss words or signals of the same, get nasty with people they disagree with, or even send hate email, is beyond me. I agree with the poster who said the anonymity allows some to hide behind their computers. Some folks think only in black or white (I don't mean Phantom phans) and are unable to engage in conversations with nuance or speculative questions; in drum corps, such multi-layering in a show design is applauded and judged at higher levels. Maybe rather than the plus or negative, DCP might institue a Box 1-5 rating for replies and comment. The current anonymous plus or minus can be just as meanly spirited, particularly when a poster challenges a corps. Who wants 150 red negs for a good discussion?

As the common street language has loosened and the upheaval of accountability has occured in too many places in our society, unfortunately those who are the worse won't realize that this is not the cultural forum for anything less than a good mature discussion, IMHO.

• Like 1