Why Such Vitriol on DCP?

DCP is relatively tame compared to other forums I frequent. Check out some sports forums!

Plus, I like a little back and forth. Everyone politely agreeing means people have lost passion for the activity.

Check the triathlon forums I frequent, they are savages over there. Granted most personalities in triathlon are the OCD type A's and very competitive so that is really no big surprise.

"at least we're not as bad as other websites"

Come on now. That's not an excuse.

I don't think you're a HiddenMonster at all.

I've been reading (and occasionally) posting to DCP for several years now. This is not the first "forum" of this type that I have participated in over the years, on a number of topics. I have NEVER seen such consistent MEANNESS in any forum other than DCP. There seems to be a huge number of nasty posts, which range from showing a lack of respect to outright cruelty to a previous poster. Sometime I gasp out loud when I read some of these mean comments. I just can't believe that people are so nasty, much less that they are willing to put it into writing in a medium where it will never completely disappear.

What is it about this forum that brings out such lack of common courtesy? such downright rudeness? such nastiness?

Don't tell me it's because it's a competitive activity and that people have a lot of passion for it. Other activities are just as competitive, and inspire just as much passion as drum corps, and the fans don't attack each other. Just because I'm a (Fill in the Blank) fan doesn't mean it's okay for me to totally slam someone else just because they like (Not "Fill in the Blank"). I'm passionate about my college team but I don't consider our rival's fans EVIL, and I don't say nasty things about them just because they happen to like a different university than I do.

I just don't get it. . .

I just wish we could all respect each other, and feel free to discuss our opinions without the fear of being personally attacked.

(I fully expect people will respond with comments that say I am wasting DCP bandwidth with this topic, that I'm an idiot, that I'm naïve, that I obviously haven't ever been on another forum, etc. I think that's sad. . . )

I am split between the OP being completely genuine or a back door troll? Well played if it's option 2.

I like this forum and think it is quite civil for the most part. My problem is that I think I"m funny, and my sense of humor doesn't always translate into the written word. MANY times I have erased what I've written or dialed it back. And yes, more than once I have resisted from dropping F bombs and offering to slap some sense into someone, both things I would probably not do in person, so why do so online?

That being said, I do enjoy a snarky comment or a good joke. Still waiting for the good joke....sorry guys!

Those posting dinosoars, regardless of age, who answer by comparing what is said here to what was once said on RAMD just don't seem to be looking at the present situation and answering the OP. Comparing out (I'm not as sick as...) is typical of those with problems in rehab groups, AA, and other personality therapies I have studied. Why people have to take the Lord's name to emphasize their anger/frustration, use cuss words or signals of the same, get nasty with people they disagree with, or even send hate email, is beyond me. I agree with the poster who said the anonymity allows some to hide behind their computers. Some folks think only in black or white (I don't mean Phantom phans) and are unable to engage in conversations with nuance or speculative questions; in drum corps, such multi-layering in a show design is applauded and judged at higher levels. Maybe rather than the plus or negative, DCP might institue a Box 1-5 rating for replies and comment. The current anonymous plus or minus can be just as meanly spirited, particularly when a poster challenges a corps. Who wants 150 red negs for a good discussion?

As the common street language has loosened and the upheaval of accountability has occured in too many places in our society, unfortunately those who are the worse won't realize that this is not the cultural forum for anything less than a good mature discussion, IMHO.

I think your making a mountain out of a molehill IMO. Sure, as we approach finals, tensions do get a little more tense around here, but not nearly as bad as some want to make it out to be

• Like 1

I've been reading (and occasionally) posting to DCP for several years now. This is not the first "forum" of this type that I have participated in over the years, on a number of topics. I have NEVER seen such consistent MEANNESS in any forum other than DCP. There seems to be a huge number of nasty posts, which range from showing a lack of respect to outright cruelty to a previous poster. Sometime I gasp out loud when I read some of these mean comments. I just can't believe that people are so nasty, much less that they are willing to put it into writing in a medium where it will never completely disappear.

What is it about this forum that brings out such lack of common courtesy? such downright rudeness? such nastiness?

Interesting POV. I find DCP to be for the most part refreshingly reserved and thoughtful compared to most forums I read. Maybe it depends on the depth of emotional attachment the forum members have for the subject. Music and performing arts inspire a lot of passion in people. Add the competitive element, and the ease with which the written word can be misinterpreted, and you can get some heated conversations.

That said, I think actual meanness is extremely rare, or usually restricted to just a few posters. And for the most part, even the folks who get into the biggest arguments in one thread can be having fun joking with each other in another thread simultaneously (yes it does happen!).

Perhaps some of the nastiness you're reading into the comments isn't actually there. There's a lot of sarcasm and joking that goes on. Sometimes someone will criticize a corps in a brusque way and that can kick off some over-the-top defensiveness. But I find if I give every poster the benefit of the doubt as much as possible there's usually a way to read most every post such that it's not nearly as offensive as I might have first thought. So I try to go with that reading, if I can help it.

The best thing you can do is to find a way to inject some humor and add to the discussion. Often a calm neutral voice can calm down the most rabid of arguments and restore some sanity to the discussion. :thumbup:

People take marching band very seriously.

Yeah those people on MBP sure do :devil::tongue:

Surprised no one mentioned the ignore feature on DCP. Works well unless you see the ignored posting right after you do (OH crap... now what)...

Star Wars vs. Star Trek forums are far worse.

yeah cause Star trek sucks

:tongue:/>

Still better than RAMD. (I'm not the first to say that right?)

edit: Catherine, and Howdy mentioned. God my head hurts.

However, the humore and satire was much better on RAMD.

Case in point:

Dyke Pines Trailer Park AND Howdy's Christian neighborhood Puppet Shows in the back of a Horse Trailer

I have NEVER seen such consistent MEANNESS in any forum other than DCP. There seems to be a huge number of nasty posts, which range from showing a lack of respect to outright cruelty to a previous poster. Sometime I gasp out loud when I read some of these mean comments.

You can't be serious.

At the risk of confirming your suspicions about how nasty we all are... maybe you need to get out more. This forum has a relatively low degree of anonymity and is closely connected to a small, real-world community. Half the users here are moms and dads rooting for their kids. This is a very nice, polite forum.

• Like 1