Why Such Vitriol on DCP?

Seriously ???

This board is too nice and too heavily moderated for my tastes

On my other board, messing with people is a sport

Good. Stay on that board and let us have our own brand of conversation rather than writing the drill for every board to be the same cookie-cutter that we complain about concerning corps shows.

• Like 4

If you think this place gets nasty, pop on over to the DCP Facebook page. It's weird, here everything is mostly anonymous. Over there though, everyone can see your name and pictures, but people are much nastier. Boggles the mind

• Like 4

DCP is a fairly mild-mannered and well-moderated forum. The only real, consistent nastiness I can recall came during the Cadets bashing era between 2005-2008.

I hear much, much, much worse things out on tour from staff, members, and fans. Stuff that would never fly here on DCP. The difference is that out there you're usually surrounded by people who more or less share all your opinions, whereas on here you have to deal with a variety of viewpoints. Some people find that very hard to handle.

Right. With the sheer volume of threads that go on here, with all the different sub forums, unless you have a HUGE moderating team, it's not going to happen. It's the nature of the beast. I'm sure all the moderators here have lives, probably busier than those that post all the time on here.....

Yep... That's what the report button is for..... Used it a few times and works well....

LOL... even reported myself after I calmed down... worked twice as good as the person I responded to (since banned) got a good talkin' to also....

As for vitro, few weeks ago made a comment about a YT vid that had a dog and cat playing together. Mentioned we had a declawed cat and next post said I should get my finger tips removed to see how THAT felt.... Good think I didn't saw the cat was neutered.... :shutup:/>

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

IMO the good poster to idiot ratio was far higher on RAMD. It was just a handful of idiots who "ruined" things. Interestingly enough we (the regular posters) kept those idiots from invading RAMB.

I walked away from RAMD when the cross-posting wars started. People who didn't know whata Drum Corps was just started flinging crap at a few people. Nothing like bringing up RAMD at lunch time at work and wondering it the net nanny would catch you..... :shutup:

a) There is a great scene in the movie 'Lean on Me' which somewhat represents us here on DCP. It has Principal Joe Clark (played by Morgan Freeman) passionately arguing with Dr. Frank Napier (played by Robert Guillaume). They are friends of old but get into a very heated disagreement. At the end of the scene Dr. Napier walks out and calmly states, "Come on; let's get something to eat." and Joe Clark jokingly responds, "You really thing you are bad, don't you?". THAT is how we interact here on DCP :satisfied:

b) "All you need is Love"; "We can work it Out"; "Love me Do"; All my Loving"; "Come Together"; "Give Peace a Chance"; Yep... that all worked for the Beatles now didn't it? :tongue::devil:

I think that when DCP does get bad, it's because of anonymity. It's a lot easier to get heated up and say things to a computer screen that you'd never say to another person's face. Would be an interesting experiment to see what happened to DCP if everyone had to put their full name, a picture of their face, and their corps history/involvement. Not that I would want that either, but I bet things would be quite a bit more civil :tongue:/>

Not really - like it was said earlier, check out the FB page. It can get pretty over-the-top in a relatively short time.

(And FWIW, there are moderator(s) over there too - as was said earlier in the thread, folks do have lives, but we catch up to trolls and others like that eventually...)

Mike