Carolina Crown Narration

180 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Crown's narration?

2. 2. Do you think Crown's narration is effective?

I knew to expect some of the replies in this thread that did show up, but what I enjoy more than anything is discussing shows, music, anything that captures my interest. I like knowing what other people have to say and where their mindset is. I don't have anyone in person that enjoys DCI like I do so I get my discussion on the internet. I mentioned in the first post, but to recap since it was so many pages ago, everyone has different opinions. Even people who enjoy the narration enjoy it for different reasons. What I really wanted to get out of this thread was to really hear what it is that people who don't like it or point blank hate it thought. I wanted to pick their brains and talk about why what makes it effective to me doesn't make it effective to them.

I understand that there are people and will always be people who don't like this show. It's going to happen with every show. I really just wanted to present how I saw the show to people who don't care for it and have them do the same in return. And I have gotten that. It's a great insight and I understand even further why people feel the way they do, but to put it bluntly there are posts on here that seem to be posted purely to get a rise out of people. I really honestly do not take your opinion on this or any other topic to be lesser because you don't like this show, you don't like amplification, you don't like synth.

All in all, if a wrong tone started in this thread because of my original post or anything I posted along the way, I apologize. Nothing in here from me was intended to attack or put down opposing view points. I enjoyed hearing them. I still want to hear more. Anything I write is to try and inform someone of where I stand, not to browbeat them into my way of thinking. I know very well it is often hard to recognize implications over the internet and I probably have taken some posts the wrong way, so again I apologize if this was headed down this road from the start. We're all DCI fans and fans of music. It's pointless to truly fight among each other. There will always be discussion though and I hope more will follow in this thread.

Thanks to all that have put in their opinions. I think I've found the place where I can really talk about DCI and the different shows so thanks also to DCP. thumbup.gif

• Like 1

Good call. I made that same comment in another thread. Unneeded narration cost the Cadets the title in 2007 and history is about to repeat.

Cadets tied for #1 GE in 2007, which is where you'd think narration issues would hurt them. The reason they didn't win in 2007 was their 3rd place visual score and 4th place music score.

And I think you're also likely wrong about this year. Crown seems far more likely to win GE (as they did last night) than to win Visual or Music.

Just because changes are inevitable (though even that idea is an avoidance of responsibility: one can and sometimes should choose not to change), that doesn't mean all change is good.

(And "evolves" is a loaded word that for many people implies progression when regression is equally possible.)

Meh

And there is a D**n good reason for that; who, other than the intellectual MENSA wanna-be elite, wants to sit listening throgh the many, many, many hours of the trilogy the way Glass intended! :tongue:/>

My favorite presentation of Phillip Glass was on the South Park Christmas pageant.

• Like 3

Wow. Surprising how many people are seemingly unfamiliar with Philip Glass' Einstein on the Beach!

Not unfamiliar with it, just don't think the narration portion of it is good for corps. I'm really opposed to anything making noise besides drums and brass...not just Crown, but wow their entire show pretty much has voiceovers! Can't stand it.

• Like 1

The use of amplified voice in Crown's show is the second example of amplified voice that I've thought really added to the show since it started being used. Crown wasn't my absolute favorite show of the night (I'm a homer), but the ballad with the narration is the part that has stuck with me the most.

• Like 1

Not unfamiliar with it, just don't think the narration portion of it is good for corps. I'm really opposed to anything making noise besides drums and brass...not just Crown, but wow their entire show pretty much has voiceovers! Can't stand it.

Not unlike BD's Cabaret Voltaire...

That ballad drives me nuts. I can dig everything else from the show though.

• Like 1