Phantom's Percussions future....

Winds of Change  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Will Phantom make changes at the top?

Please. And while they're at it, please bring back a co-ed guard. Phantom's young women are amazing, no doubt, as are the instructors in the guard arena, from what I've seen. It's just one of the many things this year that makes me want to crawl into myself while yawning. You can still be classy without being so #### conservative, as seen by Carolina Crown this year, and the last.

It's time to wake up again, Phantom. Progress.

Ah yes, we are sure to have a "just like crown does" comment in every thread from here on out now. :thumbdown:/>

Edited by truman
  • Like 1

Please. And while they're at it, please bring back a co-ed guard. Phantom's young women are amazing, no doubt, as are the instructors in the guard arena, from what I've seen. It's just one of the many things this year that makes me want to crawl into myself while yawning. You can still be classy without being so #### conservative, as seen by Carolina Crown this year, and the last.

It's time to wake up again, Phantom. Progress.

Phantom Regiment's strongest section of their Corps... by far... was their Color Guard ( 4th ). Phantom Regiment would be out of their minds to mess with what undeniably has been working well for them of late. I agree that there are some things that Phantom Regiment can do to improve themselves, but asking them to forgo what has been working well for them (4th) in hopes of shoring up things that have not been working out for them ( Percussion 11th, Music Anal., etc ) would not make much sense to me at all. I like Phantom Regiment's decision to change up to an all female Guard. Its probably the best decision they've made... and their Color Guard placements of late confirms that this was the right decision to have made. Phantom needs to look to areas for change. But their all female Guard is not their problem, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

As an instructor (keyboard & brass -- NOT with a drum corps but with orchestra's and private students) I have to ask what type of talent is Phantom recruiting? Meaning, those drummers who want to march Phantom and not play as well as others (DCI corps ) just to fill the line? Or, those with extreme skills, that want to march Phantom because of it's traditions, history, music selection etc or -- as in the past 3 years a caption head who has vast knowledge experience as an indoor instructor, attempting to write for a HUGELY competetive DCI genre and isn't ensuring said 'talent' meets the rquirements of the book written? It happens .... To me, not being a percussionist, it (the past 3 yrs ) doesn't seem to flow with the music (and that is a whole different story - or cause for concern) -- unlike Rennick's writting, (both Sandy & Paul ) it was smooth, integrated and flowed with and throughout the brass parts. Not so with Shane's writting .... is it as it's been mentioned because the tech staff has changed, teaching styles vary and that could be another key point as well. Are the instructors teaching the SAME THING the SAME WAY? Students like adults, learn in various ways & speeds.. but if the talent is not there to begin with ... it may to be to no avail!

I have watched alot of videos (I know that says nothing s far as the teaching skills of those tech's or Shane's ability to write a good book ) and there are some good parts here & there ... but the pit seems (to me) have they're own thing, and the line theirs -- at times it doesn't even seem to fit. In the competetive nature of DCI, IT HAS TO! That is part of the judging criteria Yes there will be staff turnover, there will be new kids at camp next year... new book to write, but I just don't think Phantom has gotten better in the last 3 years... they have, as scores/sheets will show either been stagnant... or, gotten worse

How does an organization fix this? You (Phantom) will never get the Rennick's back... Marty Hurley is sadly gone ... BUT you can go out an seek a student of theirs (Rennick, Hurley etc) that will teach what is obviously working in DCI right now and that is having a great drumline/pit, year in and year out. What I see with Vanguard is the same CONSISTANT, CONSICE, TECHNIQUE and flow from pit to line to ensemble and it WORKS! I haven't heard that w/Regiment since 2010. SCV this year sounded GORGEOUS! And... hey... Regiment..... like others have pointed out... Rennick (or whomever) can be paid to write a book even tho he isn't on staff a Caption Head ... and others paid to teach it, but keep in mind those paid to teach it better be up to the challenge of playing it themselves as it was written and teaching it consistantly! having the same staff with teaching ideals that are the same is what makes that even more valuable. I think Shane is a great guy with mounds of technical skills and prowess when it comes to indoor percussion... but DCI, maybe not. Only the "Powers That Be" at Regiment are able to assess his skills and his work to date. Sadly, it hasn't given them anything to really say "We know it was the right thing".

Edited by PRPhan4ever
  • Like 2

Gwaltney is not able to pull in the talent to his line that a top 5 corps needs. His third year and they still have an all rookie snare line? really?

I've been biting my tongue through the season because I know the corps members read all this stuff and I don't want to bring them down while they are trying to pop out good shows, but now that the season is over...

It's just not a good fit, and they need someone who will be able to bring in some talent. Who is available? I'd LOVE to see Erik Johnson with the pit, but he may never do anything outisde of cavaliers for corps. Ellis Hampton was pretty much co caption head in Rennicks later years with PR, and his lines at boston were great, and their tuning is great (like Rennicks). Maybe bringing him back in, with someone else writing the book (Bret Kuhn?). There is always casella as well, but not sure he wants to come back to drum corps. .... Jeff prosperie? I love that guy as a person, and his knowledge of percussion, and he has strong PR roots. Not sure he has the time to be a caption head though, and have we really seen any lines under his direction? And of course, Tom Rarick is a PR alum I think... he always writes a great book for bluecoats...

They need to bring in someone who is PROVEN.

Gwaltney is not able to pull in the talent to his line that a top 5 corps needs. His third year and they still have an all rookie snare line? really?

I've been biting my tongue through the season because I know the corps members read all this stuff and I don't want to bring them down while they are trying to pop out good shows, but now that the season is over...

It's just not a good fit, and they need someone who will be able to bring in some talent. Who is available? I'd LOVE to see Erik Johnson with the pit, but he may never do anything outisde of cavaliers for corps. Ellis Hampton was pretty much co caption head in Rennicks later years with PR, and his lines at boston were great, and their tuning is great (like Rennicks). Maybe bringing him back in, with someone else writing the book (Bret Kuhn?). There is always casella as well, but not sure he wants to come back to drum corps. .... Jeff prosperie? I love that guy as a person, and his knowledge of percussion, and he has strong PR roots. Not sure he has the time to be a caption head though, and have we really seen any lines under his direction? And of course, Tom Rarick is a PR alum I think... he always writes a great book for bluecoats...

They need to bring in someone who is PROVEN.

From what I understand, neither Ellis nor the Rennicks are eager to be back in the PR organization. I could be wrong, though.

And Prosperie actually was caption head at PR in the 90's for a few years, so he does indeed have a link there.

I thought the guard was far and away the corps' strongest section, and the all-female thing is an asset, not a liability. Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Well the recaps certainly bear this fact out: Guard was by far their highest scoring caption (4th place), while everything else was either 5th or 6th except for their 9th place percussion.