Really? What's the message here?

Thanks skywhopper!

Not showing up on my iPhone, but I will check my computer when/if I ever get home (5+ hours to go).

First - and last - time we drive to Indy! Flying is so much easier!

Ever since George Hopkins went on his rant on FB about housing conditions earlier this season, I have ever since started to occasionally check his FB page to see what the latest rant might be...then this morning I noticed this...

"With all respect to other corps , the learning here is a bit different. I always wanted to connect the corps experience to life and we have done so. They get choice , they get work ethic , they learn to choose happy in the face of challenge.

These guys are perhaps more advanced. They seem to have a handle on the message. Maybe I did a better job ?"

I assume then other corps do not get that corps is a life long lesson, or work ethic. I had always heard a lot of people don't like him, and I just assumed it was perhaps because they are very good on a consistent basis, however, after reading that post, I think I am beginning to understand. There are so many little jabs in his words directed to every member corps in DCI. I wonder exactly what message the Cadets learned this summer from him? They are more advanced perhaps.

I don't know the guy, and may be completely off base, or perhaps he didn't intend to phrase it that way, but that is what I thought as soon as I read it.

There's no way GH can make that comment because he can't experience the learning/teachings of the other corps each and every summer. Wish he would be more gracious like other corps directors and stop changing the activity for the worse.

• Like 1

This.

GH is an awesome guy. Not the best communicator and not a PR person. He probably needs to be careful on social media, but then again so do I.

The harsh truth is this: A man of his advanced age has no business posting on Facebook or even having a Facebook account for that matter. And I know this with authority, because I'm about his age.

• Like 2

There's no way GH can make that comment because he can't experience the learning/teachings of the other corps each and every summer. Wish he would be more gracious like other corps directors and stop changing the activity for the worse.

I believe it was stated that Hopkins was referring to his own "other" Cadets corps, not other DCI corps.

What does his comments have to do with trying to change the activity for the worse? I think some of you are just trying to find a reason to b#tch and complain about everything he says. Geez. It's not that serious.

• Like 2

For those looking to scrutinize every punctuation mark this man writes here is a little more information.

George is very active as a some what motivational speaker where he gives nearly weekly "Hop Talks" after rehearsal days. Here he talks with the corps about everything and life in general... how the days events and the drum corps world connect to their real lives in the real world. It becomes personal and emotional and he often gives the corps written assignments making the kids look at their futures/life goals and of course daily and life-long challenges. These Hop Talks are even supplemented with videos on occasion.

In this way Hop is a "life teacher" which goes beyond his role as director. His curriciulum is basically the same every year and this random comment was about how well his "students" understood the life lessons that he directly and personally teaches and his role in the process.

Clearly this is a sign of a teacher who is proud to have had his messege absorbed and learned and not some narcessitic or egotistical fame hog. What is a more gracious way to lose than to say that the greatest accomplishment wasn't even what was performed on the field? That is truly saying something!

Now go back and read the comment again.

Edited by charlie1223

George isn't as effective a communicator in writing as he is in person. He's a dynamic, charismatic personality when you talk to him live. I wouldn't read anything into what he said, though he is right about one thing...the learning at Cadets is different, but so is the teaching.

...while the learning and teaching are certainly "different" in Cadetland, it's hard to believe George sits-in on other groups'...*all* other groups'...inner communications. I would submit the exact same message(s) he touts as being unique to his group are ubiquitous throughout the activity...down to the lowliest Open Class group. What's "special" and universal, are the lifetime friendships that're forged through sometimes harsh, commonly shared experience...not unlike going off to war, which, having experienced that event, I find very close to what drum corps people have undergone. Writing clearly IS difficult, even for those whose education is in that area...heh...all this said, I think the world of GH and wish him and his group continued success.

Edited by chasgroh

The harsh truth is this: A man of his advanced age has no business posting on Facebook or even having a Facebook account for that matter. And I know this with authority, because I'm about his age.

I am older than George, and I have a FB page. I know many people in their 60's and beyond that have FB pages. My daughter-in-law's grandmother, about 86 years old, has a FB page. What does "advanced age" have to do with having a FB page?

• Like 2

There are corps which are in DCI for reasons other than winning (Jersy Surf for example) and I commend and like them immensely! Nevertheless, if second place, or third, or fifteenth, etc... is as valuable as first then why in the heck keep score? Amongst other things DCI is a competition; and that competition is to attempt to become the best at a particular activity; and each year only one unit can carry that torch of being the best for a brief moment in time. Much can be learned through DCI not only by becoming a graceful winner; but also how to become a graceful loser. There is also truth within the phrase, "Saying everyone is a winner is just another way of saying no one is a winner"; or, "Those who say there is no difference between winning and losing have never really been the best at anything". By definition for one unit, or person, to win all others must lose. And there is absolutely nothing wrong at all in that philosophy (unless, of course, you are someone who really loved and appreciated receiving a 'participation' award which has no merit whatsoever and ends up in the trash can).

When I marched I did it because it was something that nobody else from my hometown was doing. I liked the activity because the Bugles were different than regular band horns and I liked marching and playing. I knew my corps was not going to win DCI but there was a chance to break into the top 12. My 1st year we were on the outside looking in and my second year we were number 12 after the previous year 9th place finish. It was important for me that the fans liked our show and top 12 was really nice as well. I have no regrets.