Crown 2011 vs. Cadets 2007

I promise that, above everything, this is not any kind of jab at anyone, I am simply wondering what people think.

To the best of my knowledge (I wasn't on DCP a lot this summer, so I may be off from the onset here), there wasn't much of a backlash towards Crown's use of narration/voice in their show this year (I know I absolutely loved it, I've been a huge fan of Einstein on the Beach for a few years now). I also wasn't on DCP in 2007 (I started in 2009), so you can correct me on this as well, but I seem to remember hearing about controversy and backlash at the Cadets' 'This I Believe' production.

I haven't gone through and counted, but I feel like there isn't much more or less narration in Crown's 2011 show than in Cadets' 2007 show. So what is the difference in reception?

Is it content? Is the actual context of Crown's show narration simply better than Cadets'?

Is it execution? Did Crown simply utilize the narration in a more effective manner than Cadets did?

Is it that the fandom is slowly accepting narration? Obviously Crown wasn't the only group to use narration, I don't remember reading as much about the dislike of this year's words.

Is it that shows are becoming so outlandish that simple narration isn't so bad now?

Is it Hopkins? The fact that narration is only one of a few small changes he's implored.

I'm truly not trying to cause controversy, I promise. I am just curious about what makes them different.

I think narration is more accepted now vs 6 seasons ago. Also Crown executed it better. Cadets had those poor kids running and playing brass and then stopping and talking into a mic. Amazing the endurance THOSE kids had.

I agree. My friend who was in the corps that year was the one who got to say "alright, let's do something with nooooo voice," and the crowd gave a gigantic round of applause. It's interesting to watch the evolution of the activity.

I’d argue the same thing that makes staff-written narration cringeworthy is the same thing that makes staff-written (“original”) music cringeworthy. Insular and insubstantial. (“Trust in each other, and we will rise”? Uh-huh. That’s the “Saucedo-slop” of the activity.)

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

Here's my take on it.

In 2007, the dialog in Cadets's show was done far too often, was written very poorly, performed haphazardly at best, and covered up way too much otherwise incredible music. The "rehearsal" stuff over Blue Shades was laughably bad.

On the other hand, Crown's use of dialog was limited to one piece in the show, was well written and immaculately performed. While I didn't particularly care for it's inclusion, especially over The Abyss, that kid performed the living crap out of that dialog. He took a really stupid story and made is all buy into it. Crown's attention to detain in that segment was what made it work.

I don't consider any of the counting stuff to be narration or dialog. It was music, and again, the attention to detail in it's construction and the amazing performance by the vocalists was the difference.

• Like 8

In 2007, the dialog in Cadets's show was done far too often, was written very poorly, performed haphazardly at best, and covered up way too much otherwise incredible music. The "rehearsal" stuff over Blue Shades was laughably bad.

On the other hand, Crown's use of dialog was limited to one piece in the show, was well written and immaculately performed. While I didn't particularly care for it's inclusion, especially over The Abyss, that kid performed the living crap out of that dialog. He took a really stupid story and made is all buy into it. Crown's attention to detain in that segment was what made it work.

This, 100%.

Is it content? Is the actual context of Crown's show narration simply better than Cadets'?

Like anything else, its all in the presentation, imo. While some no doubt dislike narration and voice in Drum Corps under any circumstances, a lot of it becomes controversial ( or acceptable ) depending upon.. as you said... content. Not just with Cadets and Crown useage of it, but other Corps. For example, the Crossmen used narration this year, and for the most part it did not go over very well. Madison, by contrast, used narration and voice in their show and quite effectively, imo. So I do believe that its presentation and its content does go a long way in determining most audiences level of acceptance ( or rejection ) of the use of narration and/ or voice in shows.

Edited by BRASSO

Like anything else, its all in the presentation, imo. While some no doubt dislike narration and voice in Drum Corps under any circumstances, a lot of it becomes controversial ( or acceptable ) depending upon.. as you said... content. Not just with Cadets and Crown useage of it, but other Corps. For example, the Crossmen used narration this year, and for the most part it did not go over very well. Madison, by contrast, used narration and voice in their show and quite effectively, imo. So I do believe that its presentation and its content does go a long way in determining most audiences level of acceptance ( or rejection ) of the use of narration and/ or voice in shows.

yepp........just like everything else :smile:

Do you mean Crown 2013? Not 2011?

Wasn't sure.

It was much better for Crown this year because they found an appropriate place to use narration. Only a few lines when you listen closely. The other stuff was singing or harmonized counting. They made sure their brass and drums CAME FIRST. The other stuff was woven in carefully, with only a pinch of narration. You never walked out of a Crown performance thinking I didn't hear enough brass or drums.

With Cadets in 2006, 2007, and 2008 you did. You thought, why do I care about this story, why are they talking, and how did that help the show? You also thought "boy that made me feel weird."

I told a friend of mine that Crown winning with a little narration in their show (and some vocalizations) will peak GH's interest and I fear what that might bring. His corps has been SUCH an AMAZING crowd-pleasing group and a flat-out performance monster from 2009 to now. I don't want them to lose sight of that. What they are doing is working, and their total music ensemble this year (brass, drums, analysis) was just FABULOUS!! Best overall music ensemble on the field.