Would a Christian drum corps be accepted?

About the whole Mormon drum corps thing... that would be equally silly to have an exclusively Mormon drum corps.

Drum corps in Utah could actually do quite well, there is an incredible amount of talent there (even though design there, especially color guard, is at least 15 years behind).

The only way to handle the Mormon issue with a drum corps in Utah would be to completely ignore it. Do not make any special accommodations for it or even acknowledge it as a factor at all.

There are quite enough Mormon kids who have participated in pretty much every drum corps in the country and required no special accommodations or even and acknowledgment of their religion (in many cases, other kids they marched with probably weren't even aware of the fact that they were Mormon). There is no reason at all to even bring the topic up for a drum corps in Utah, but just treat it as you would in any other community.

Doing Book of Mormon or South Park with a drum corps would be brilliant. Doing Book of Mormon with a Utah corps would be cheesy. Doing South Park with a Utah corps would be genius.

• Like 3

One of the ones I mentioned. And it would be "Him" with the capital H!!! satisfied.gif

Heck the airgrams would be like, "Jenny, All for Him," etc.

Airgrams. Easy money, but to me... the debil hisself. devil.gif

Oh yeah. I remember sitting there in Scranton, watching them do the crucifixion going "Oh my....Oh my...."

A part of me wants to see a Mormon drum corps. They take music and pageantry very seriously, and I think it would be fresh approach to the activity.

Doesn't mean I'm a fan of the LDS church.

Would the LDS church alllow corps to compete in Sunday shows? This whole topics brings up a question: does DCI have any policies about non-discrimination?

I say do what is best for your membership, fans, and sponsors. If you want to be a drum corps that utilizes your show and resources for Christ then go for it. There will be people who love you. There will be people who hate you. There wil be people who could care less. Do your thing, and do it well!

Edited by wallace

right now, I'd settle for Blue Devils playing " The Devil went Down to Georgia " or some such. I don't really need to have the Blue Devils try to musically and visually recreate for us the " History of Christianity " in 11 minutes. I'll skip that Sermon, thank you very much.

I'd settle for the Blue devils hornline actually being allowed to play a full tune.

• Like 1

I remember the Sky Ryder Color Guard Praying before each show when I marched. I think the near panic at the mention of Christianity is a little silly.

I'm not sure it would have to be a Christian corps to do a show about forgiveness, loving your brother, etc.... I don't think Christians necessarily have a monopoly on good morals.

I am not sure anyone here claimed such a monopoly. What prompted your post?

Would the LDS church alllow corps to compete in Sunday shows? This whole topics brings up a question: does DCI have any policies about non-discrimination?

It is not a matter of would they allow. The church believes in personal free agency among its members to choose. Would Mormons participate on Sunday? The answer is NO. Without going into a religious debate, they observe and keep the Sabbath (Sunday) holy. Sunday is the Sabbath. It does not end when they leave church service; it does not end if someone calls them on the phone or knocks at their door inviting them to come out and play, go for a ride, to a ball game, or shopping; it does not end because they are on vacation or someone is visiting them, whether member or nonmember. The Sabbath lasts all day for Mormons.

According to the LDS faith...The Sabbath is a holy day in which to do worthy and holy things. Abstinence from work and recreation is important but insufficient. The Sabbath calls for constructive thoughts and acts, and if one merely lounges about doing nothing on the Sabbath, he is breaking it. To observe it, one will be on his knees in prayer, preparing lessons, studying the gospel, meditating, visiting the ill and distressed, sleeping, reading wholesome material, and attending all the meetings of that day to which he is expected. [Failure] to do these proper things is a transgression on the omission side.