Who gets the credit or blame for today's DCI shows?

What a stupid post. There is no blame or credit. It's called history.

Just go away.

Really? What a stupid post? That's your feedback? You got a perfect score on your SAT didn't you? There is no blame or credit. Apparently you don't understand that everything comes from something. Evolution. Everything started somewhere to get to today. Your post sucks. You go away.

DCI

Disconnect between a fan's interpretation of effect, and the judges' application of effect criteria given by DCI.

People want the scores to be based on a corps' performance - hot show = high score.

But, they also want the emotional factor involved in the score somehow.

Would it be fair to say the general public would most likely be "less than entertained" by opera, or symphony, or jazz club, ice skating, synchronized swimming, gymnastics floor routines, or other things where music is incorporated?

If you went to the opera, and left disgusted because you didn't understand a single word, would you return?

As others have said, just because something is considered great doesn't mean it necessarily translates well to drum corps.

If you want the shows to be different, you have to reward the direction in which you wish the activity to move.

On the sheets, "Audience Engagement" is one of how many main topics? say it is 5, so it is equal to 20% of the Effect score on the design side. If this one criterion is to have any teeth, it has to be defined to judges as "consider crowd response" or something like that. When it comes time for critique, they would have to tell staffs, "Everything is designed superbly which is why I maxed you out on these other 4 areas, but crowd response...you only got a 3 out of 10"

I think that's what people want.

• Like 1

I blame 50 something year olds that have been in the activity for 40 something years trying to push their decorative faux intellectualism while pretending that it’s what kids want

As long as we have 20 plus corps I’m fine with a few freak shows, keeps it interesting its just when we get too many freak shows that I get bored

• Like 4

I blame 50 something year olds that have been in the activity for 40 something years trying to push their decorative faux intellectualism while pretending that it’s what kids want

As long as we have 20 plus corps I’m fine with a few freak shows, keeps it interesting its just when we get too many freak shows that I get bored

I totally agree with this.

Smart creatures evolve. The things they create evolve with them. I blame/give the credit to EVOLUTION!

• Like 1

1984 Suncoast? 1988 Suncoast? 1993 Star?

1988 Suncoast.

The thing I remember about that show is the solo dancer. 'Wow, look at her legs... makes me hungry. She looks amazing.'

:worthy:

I THANK 50 something year olds that have been in the activity for 40 something years trying to KEEP THE ACTIVITY FRESH AND PERTINENT TO TODAY'S YOUTH

MY take on it.

:thumbup:/>

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1