Scranton Show

OK...it's working now.....just viewed the C2 performance...they are making progress, but need to get those new brass players in the mix real soon..that has to be limiting their visual score (among other things). My son (on the snare line) sent me a text after scores were announced. They are closing in on the Bucs, and that was their cleanest performance yet, but the staging is not optimal...battery spends too much time, imho, at the back of the field...but love the attitude and confidence on display!

I also think the 'split' section toward the end is getting there, but it needs to build more to drive into the last drill section for maximum impact.

Sorry but C2 is not "closing in on Bucs". They 5 points and 4 corps behind them. Absolutely they are improving and even with the forced marching of DCI Cadets will not make much difference. If anyone closed in on Bucs it was absolutely the Cabs who should've won last night. Cabs were phenomenal and Bucs not even close. How they beat Cabs color guard I have no idea. Bucs guard was all over the place.

I'm entertained by Cabs aggressiveness and their quality. That just isn't happening with Bucs.

• Like 1

Sorry but C2 is not "closing in on Bucs". They 5 points and 4 corps behind them. Absolutely they are improving and even with the forced marching of DCI Cadets will not make much difference. If anyone closed in on Bucs it was absolutely the Cabs who should've won last night. Cabs were phenomenal and Bucs not even close. How they beat Cabs color guard I have no idea. Bucs guard was all over the place.

I'm entertained by Cabs aggressiveness and their quality. That just isn't happening with Bucs.

The right corps won. I really only had issue with one placement, and that was Cadets2 should have been over Statesmen. Looking at the recap, that call was made by one judge, who had Statesmen over-scored in his caption by at least two full points. That issue will resolve itself in prelims.

I also thought Sunrisers got dumped hard, but that's another story.

• Like 2

Woodbridge spread between Bucs and Cab was 2.3

Scranton spread was 2.15

Picked up .15 in one week.

If Cabs continue to close at that rate, then they might catch them by Christmas.

• Like 3

The right corps won. I really only had issue with one placement, and that was Cadets2 should have been over Statesmen. Looking at the recap, that call was made by one judge, who had Statesmen over-scored in his caption by at least two full points. That issue will resolve itself in prelims.

I also thought Sunrisers got dumped hard, but that's another story.

I don't think Bucs should have won by over two points. Their hornline intonation was just awful....all show. Their color guard was outmatched by Cabs, night and day difference. I think the Cabs percussion was 4th? That's really hurting their score and they are dirty compared to other lines but a 2 point spread is not even close to what I saw and heard

I don't think Bucs should have won by over two points. Their hornline intonation was just awful....all show. Their color guard was outmatched by Cabs, night and day difference. I think the Cabs percussion was 4th? That's really hurting their score and they are dirty compared to other lines but a 2 point spread is not even close to what I saw and heard

I guess we attended two different shows. Looking at the recap, I think the panel, with the exception of the judge I spoke of above, pretty much nailed it. Cabs brass, while excellent, wasn't as refined and didn't achieve their program at the level the Buccaneers did last night. I think there's a lot of room for grown in that caption over the next two weeks, and I have no doubt Cabs' excellent brass staff will make up ground there.

Cabs' percussion was accurately placed. It's by no means a bad line...it's just a great year for percussion, particularly at last night's show. As for color guard, my wife (who is indeed an expert in the caption) said it was probably a coin toss between the two guards...which surprised her as she expected Cabs to walk away with the guard trophy. She said she could see that caption going either way last night, depending on how the judge applied the various criteria.

I'll have more to say later. I'm going to do a show review later tonight.

Edited by Kamarag

I was not saying that C2 is closing in on Bucs overall....that won't happen this year; but the C2 drum line is indeed closing in on the Bucs' line. What is this "forced marching of DCI Cadets" you speak of??

• Like 1

I was not saying that C2 is closing in on Bucs overall....that won't happen this year; but the C2 drum line is indeed closing in on the Bucs' line. What is this "forced marching of DCI Cadets" you speak of??

LOL... I hear ya.

"Forced marching" sounds like, "You WILL march with Cadets2, and you WILL like it. Either that, or it's off to the gulag for you!!!" :tongue:

C2's drum line is really strong this year. Hats off to them.

...yeah, Fran...but the FENCE is in the way!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

LOL... I hear ya.

"Forced marching" sounds like, "You WILL march with Cadets2, and you WILL like it. Either that, or it's off to the gulag for you!!!" tongue.gif

C2's drum line is really strong this year. Hats off to them.

Taking another view of the top four shows, my eyes and ears gave it to Bucs, easily...best combo of power and brass refinement, although their marching is not that swell :-) I think Cabs and ES were both degrees of loud, brash and rasty...relatively unrefined and somewhat overblown brass sound. C2 has a weak guard at this point, and they need to get to a place where they don't have 8 or 9 brass holes to fill in mid August. However, they have a good shot to play the charts musically with some semblance of control and good tone while doing a bunch of up tempo drill.

It's kinda hard to re-calibrate after soaking in DCI finals and the excellence of Crown brass and Cadets percussion, etc. However, I am eager to see Minnesota Brass again because it looks like a real dog fight with Bucs in Annapolis.

• Like 1