Who would you like to see a retro/best of/blast from the past show fro

While their 2013 show was something of a throwback to the 90's, I'd probably want to see SCV do "Fanfare for the New" or maybe YPG wearing pants and/or footwear that contrast nicely against a green football field...like Crown and Cadets do.

Why was the first minute or so of SCV '92's opener so awesome? REAL/bona fide high leg lift and great foot technique showcased in white.

Edited by TRacer

Boosy & Hawkes is the gatekeeper for Bernstein arrangements.

They do not restrict of refuse, but they do not allow licenses for paraphrasing or medleys of Bernstein works. If you want to do it more straight ahead... no problem. Chop and Bop, mashup, forget it.

I think this is quite understandable.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hey Folks,

A quick email to advise you of a change in policy at Boosey & Hawkes regarding future requests to arrange music written by Leonard Bernstein.

The Leonard Bernstein Office, Inc. will now require that the arrangement respect the melody, rhythm and harmony of the original, and be either of the complete composition or, in arrangements for students, a substantial extract that has a clear beginning and end. They WILL NOT not give permission for medleys or paraphrases.

Boosey & Hawkes will also now require a copy of the finished arrangement before giving approval. If the arrangement does not meet the requirements with respect to the use of the music, the request will be denied. You will, of course, have the option to alter your arrangement to fit their requirements and resubmit, but you will be required to comply with these policies.

Please forward this message on to any arrangers or directors that you feel should be aware of this policy change. I don't want anyone to get caught at the last minute because they weren't aware of the change. Boosey & Hawkes has almost always granted permission to arrange the Bernstein works so this will mean that you absolutely have to get approval in advance on these works from now on BEFORE teaching the music to your students, members, etc. :)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

===============================================

Jeni Paulson, President

CopyCat Music Licensing, LLC

What's weird is that even though Troopers took far more liberty with the source music, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Cadets' show that prompted this.

• Like 1

How about a 35th anniversary rewrite of "Chicago III Suite," "La Suerte de Los Tontos" and "My Heart Belongs to Me"?

Or, perhaps the 1986 show of "Channel One Suite," "Conquistador," "Spanish Fantasy" and "Chick Corea Suite"?

Either with updated visuals and a drill that included some of the movement in previous shows.

Don't think Mike that retro shows are in the BD's DNA.

OR.......1976 Blue Devils Show!!!! The whole thing with a killer re-write of the book and visuals. Talk about bringing fans back to DCI!

I'd love to hear that show again live. :worthy:

I would love to see Blue Devils do a great jazz show like they used to. So much talent in that corps to be doing these "non-pleasing" shows.

I would love to see The Cadets do a classic Cadets show with no props, cheese etc. They are at their best when they are just about excellence.

I would love to see Crown continue to do what they are doing. They are the best right now at designing shows that amuse fan and judge alike.

I would love to see SCV mix that great emotion with a show of depth and complexity like the Vanguard of the seventies and eighties.

I would love to see Bloo do a show with the overall wow-ness of Criminal.

I would love to see Cavies become innovators again.

• Like 2

I'd much rather hear Crown's updated take on Star of Indiana's Belshazzar's Feast.

My heart says it's been only yesterday, but my head reminds me that next year will be 20 years since BD's My Spanish Heart. I'd love to see what they could do with it, especially with modern pit percussion, electronics and the like.

Phantom needs to revisit New World Symphony. 25 years is long enough.

I'm with others - I would truly enjoy this Madison group reprising City of Angels

And Cavaliers need to (at some point) retcon Gloria!

Mike

• Like 2

Don't think Mike that retro shows are in the BD's DNA.

if you think that to be true, just go back to the early 80s and watch. They always played a few of the songs from the seasons preceding. A retro BD show would bring a large portion of the fans back to liking them again. I have been watching a lot of the 80s dvds out of a surgical rehab time off and the music from them back then is just untouchable. I can't even recognize them anymore. When people say they want to like them again, go and give 82 or 83 a lsiten and see, then you will all understand what they want. No this is not a 80s is best thing, its just a retro music theme with what you could do in a show of todays caliber drill and musicianship. It would be unreal.

The Crossmen doing some of the Russian Christmas Music

Cavaliers doing the Planets

Colts doing a whole show based on Swing

Bridgemen just being there, in the feld live and well playing and making us feel good. For those have never experienced it, wow. No VK is not a replacement. There was only one real Bridgemen. VK was its own entity and they were fine, but man did Bridgemen rock the world.

Boosy & Hawkes is the gatekeeper for Bernstein arrangements.

They do not restrict of refuse, but they do not allow licenses for paraphrasing or medleys of Bernstein works. If you want to do it more straight ahead... no problem. Chop and Bop, mashup, forget it.

I think this is quite understandable.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hey Folks,

A quick email to advise you of a change in policy at Boosey & Hawkes regarding future requests to arrange music written by Leonard Bernstein.

The Leonard Bernstein Office, Inc. will now require that the arrangement respect the melody, rhythm and harmony of the original, and be either of the complete composition or, in arrangements for students, a substantial extract that has a clear beginning and end. They WILL NOT not give permission for medleys or paraphrases.

Boosey & Hawkes will also now require a copy of the finished arrangement before giving approval. If the arrangement does not meet the requirements with respect to the use of the music, the request will be denied. You will, of course, have the option to alter your arrangement to fit their requirements and resubmit, but you will be required to comply with these policies.

Please forward this message on to any arrangers or directors that you feel should be aware of this policy change. I don't want anyone to get caught at the last minute because they weren't aware of the change. Boosey & Hawkes has almost always granted permission to arrange the Bernstein works so this will mean that you absolutely have to get approval in advance on these works from now on BEFORE teaching the music to your students, members, etc. :)

Please let me know if you have any questions.

===============================================

Jeni Paulson, President

CopyCat Music Licensing, LLC

Yay! Someone else that doesn't like Chop and Bop, mashups, montages...

• Like 3