Drum Corps 2014 - The State of the Activity

Oh I'm sorry your defensive shield was on... :rolleyes:/>/>/> because why do you feel the need to apologize for it? ("we sat in chairs but not for "THAT" long...) Be happy your team won by pushing the envelope. No reason to get snippy with me when I didn't say anything negative about it and simply used it in a defense of what can and does get rewarded in DCI (that it's not all non-stop movement).

Note that I defended Cadets 05 as well...it's not always about BD.

I just get VERY tired of seeing the same arguments that a corps "sits in chairs for a LONG time," (BD 09) "talks all through the show," (Cadets 05) or "Only plays (the hornline) only a couple of minutes" (Cavies...forgot what year) when a little effort with a stopwatch easily refutes the accusation.

It's just as dumb as a horn guy #####ing about how "easy" a snare book is when they can't see the sticking patterns and can't tell a flam-drag from a buzz roll.

• Like 1

The Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps - TX

Resistance Drum & Bugle Corps - AR

Impact of Orlando Drum and Bugle Corps - FL

The Rocketeers Drum & Bugle Corps - AL

Southwind Drum & Bugle Corps - AL

Mon Valley Express Drum and Bugle Corps - PA

City Sound Drum & Bugle Corps - CA

Watchmen Brass and Percussion - CA

Railmen Drum and Bugle Corps Inc - NE

Prairie Sound All Ages Drum and Bugle Corps - KS/MO

Tropical Brass Theater - FL

Sound Sport ATL

They also mentioned a group in China...

DCI says that they will have an updated website with a master list of all participating groups but these are the few that DCI facebook page posted about the the past couple days. but that's a dozen right there!

Ah ha - there is my problem - don't do Facebook (evil gov't plot to harness our precious bodily fluids. But that's not important right now)

Great. Thank you for the list.

I will be looking forward to hearing how they all do. I hope that even if they don't make the trip to Indy that they will at least be able to perform (& be evaluated) at DCI shows more local to them next season - many seem to be in the same state as tour events. Maybe in a few years prelims will need to start earlier in the day.

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

I am looking forward to seeing these "dozens of BRAND NEW corps" at quarter-finals next August.

The other day, I was watching an old VHS tape from the 1993 DCI Championships. The PBS broadcast. I was eager for some BD Strawberry Soup, some Phantom Regiment Fire of Eternal Glory, some Star of Indiana all-around awesomeness, and some Cadets intensity. About half-way into the broadcast, there was a brief presentation of some clips of the Division II and Division III Champion performances. I had to laugh. The Division III champion Blue Stars, and the Division II Champion Carolina Crown. Amazing to see where they came from and how far they've traveled to get where they are now. It certainly didn't happen overnight.

In other words, YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT.

• Like 1

As much of this discussion seems to be how corps can better engage the general audience, I have a suggestion.

Take 5 points off the GE captions. Add a new caption called 'audience response'. Find a way (applause meter, show of hands, something) to gauge audience response. And award the 5 points, or a portion thereof, accordingly.

If it is worth points, designers will design for it. Instead of the current effort to 'out-wierd' their counterparts in other corps.

• Like 1

I have a general question for my drum corps forefathers here. Back in the 70's how many "general audience members" had no prior drum corps experience? How many were just going to a show that they saw a flyer about and wanted to do something different that they have never done? Could the possible smaller attendances be because there are less drum corps alumni aging out every year from those corps that folded? Or is it really the show designs driving people away? (General questions with no maliciousness intended)

On another note..... what's your attendance like at yyour local symphony concerts, big band concerts, art galleries, etc? I would bet not as high as years past. I believe its a culture shift our country is going through... and not a good one. People of my generation don't do "cultured" things like that as much as past generations. I personally love it, mostly because of band and drum corps. Not many young people have the want to go out to do these things.... and if they do, they look it up on the internet. Its a shame and will only hurt DCI more in the future than choices of show design IMO.

Good points. And as another poster said, the general attendance for a multitude of events is down. Maybe it's the economy, maybe there are less fans because there are less alums being produced. I'm sure there are multiple reasons....but I still think show design plays a part.

Personally speaking, I know a lot of people that have lost interest in seeing shows. Many of my corps friends just don't have the desire to watch anymore. Sometimes we even meet before a show and have drinks and talk, and more than half go home. Although I have been talking the talk of not going to shows anymore, I did manage Allentown for Saturday night this summer. I can honestly say I could have missed that show and not missed anything. Currently not enough corps are giving me what I want to see.

I do still enjoy the activity, I enjoy reading DCP and reading reviews and hearing the talk. I am still involved in raising money, helping and supporting a few corps in my own small way. I even signed up for Fan Network just to experience the excitement a few summers ago, it was fun. My life as a fan has taken a different tact, but at least I still give a hoot.

My perspective isn't new. I remember seeing a group of people sitting in lawn chairs outside of a stadium in the late 80s. I got to talking to them, and they said they like to meet up at shows and talk about the old times, but they had no interest in watching corps. As a marching member I could not fathom not wanting to watch. Maybe it's not the current design...maybe it just natural to move on. But I don't think so.

Edited by jonnyboy

The Guardians Drum & Bugle Corps - TX

Resistance Drum & Bugle Corps - AR

Impact of Orlando Drum and Bugle Corps - FL

The Rocketeers Drum & Bugle Corps - AL

Southwind Drum & Bugle Corps - AL

Mon Valley Express Drum and Bugle Corps - PA

City Sound Drum & Bugle Corps - CA

Watchmen Brass and Percussion - CA

Railmen Drum and Bugle Corps Inc - NE

Prairie Sound All Ages Drum and Bugle Corps - KS/MO

Tropical Brass Theater - FL

Sound Sport ATL

They also mentioned a group in China...

DCI says that they will have an updated website with a master list of all participating groups but these are the few that DCI facebook page posted about the the past couple days. but that's a dozen right there!

Is this Southwind a resurrection of the former 13th place corps?

As much of this discussion seems to be how corps can better engage the general audience, I have a suggestion.

Take 5 points off the GE captions. Add a new caption called 'audience response'. Find a way (applause meter, show of hands, something) to gauge audience response. And award the 5 points, or a portion thereof, accordingly.

If it is worth points, designers will design for it. Instead of the current effort to 'out-wierd' their counterparts in other corps.

How would you gauge awe (gaping mouth silence)

How would you gauge sadness (tears or pensiveness in silence)

How would you gauge humor (hearty laughs)

How would you gauge any other effects on the audience where a loud jeering screaming and clap is not appropriate or necessary?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 3

How would you gauge awe (gaping mouth silence)

How would you gauge sadness (tears or pensiveness in silence)

How would you gauge humor (hearty laughs)

How would you gauge any other effects on the audience where a loud jeering screaming and clap is not appropriate or necessary?

How do judges currently determine clarity and effect? I don't think it's impossible to create a judging rubric for audience engagement.

Mike

• Like 2