When will Eastern corps travel (Mid)West?

You know, this is a serious and touchy topic. I hope that is not your sincere suggestion.

I was being facetious. The area does not need, nor would it support, another band circuit. I still think it's completely ridiculous that folks want to create rules designed to remove the perceived advantages C2 may or may not have by being a part of a larger organization. DCA doesn't have the power (nor should it) to place any restriction on what YEA, band circuits, or non-DCA show hosts.

If you don't like that, find a way for your corps to gain an advantage that Cadets2 doesn't have. It's really not hard to figure out.

Edited by Kamarag

:ph34r:

Hey folks - usually going OT doesn't bother me too much, but it appears that this discussion has taken an interesting change of direction..

From questioning about corps in the East traveling to issues recruiting and performing at Band shows (in the East)..The subject material is indeed interesting, so maybe someone could start a separate thread for it, please.

Some of us have a more vested interest in the original subject..

Thank you..

BTW - when does hockey season start? :tongue:

Pat

C'mon, Pat - Don't you know it ALWAYS ends up beng about the cartel in the northeast :devil: ?

C'mon, Pat - Don't you know it ALWAYS ends up beng about the cartel in the northeast :devil: ?

Do you mean Islanders, Rangers, Devils, Bruins,Flyers, Penguins, Capitals and Sabres???

Edited by drilltech1

You're probably right, sir...I just rather see more members of "the cartel" venture out to justify keeping the status quo..even if they rather gripe about inclusion or exclusion..(gee- ain't that kinda what the original topic was about???? :blink:

:whistle: I'm such a HATER!!! :sneaky:

Let's play hockey!! I'm going to see the NEW rivalry on Saturday...Wild vs. Jets..Now I expect THAT to become better than Yankees / Red Sox...

Pat

You're probably right, sir...I just rather see more members of "the cartel" venture out to justify keeping the status quo..even if they rather gripe about inclusion or exclusion..(gee- ain't that kinda what the original topic was about???? :blink:

:whistle: I'm such a HATER!!! :sneaky:

Let's play hockey!! I'm going to see the NEW rivalry on Saturday...Wild vs. Jets..Now I expect THAT to become better than Yankees / Red Sox...

Pat

Nothing is better than the Yankee / Red Sox rivalry. NOTHING!! Yankee fan since 1957. Did I say 1957? :w00t: OMG I'm old!

Actually my goof was TOB A class ACCs wouldn't allow it last year in Harrisburg.

I think we did have a table at Hershey. I believe there was a space issue at Dauphin Stadium and they didn't allow any tables, including Surf. I edited my post to fix that.

I did not intend to ever disrespect TOB if anyone took it that way, as I have the utmost respect for everyone there.

Please accept my apology Jeff.

that may have been the schools rules. We rent the facility so we have to play by their rules. I was only there long enough to judge, then take a then screaming 5 month old home

no harm, no foul.

You know, this is a serious and touchy topic. I hope that is not your sincere suggestion. Taken to its ultimate conclusion, with all corps following your advice and running band circuits engaging in cutthroat competition with one another, we would likely alienate some portion of the band community and the drum corps activity as a whole would lose out.

Finding it hard to believe that while there is space at local HS venues, MetLife has no space for a single corps to set up a little recruiting booth. Or more accurately, they have just enough space to allow Cadets a recruiting booth, and nobody else. If there really are so many vendors demanding space in MetLife, then there should be no recruiting booths in the stadium.

Also finding it hard to believe that the same discussion board that so vigorously defends the right of marchers to move from corps to corps (contrary to traditional release rules) is now opposed to allowing the corps an equal opportunity to recruit. Seriously, for an activity that has evolved so far in cooperative effort, that cooperative attitude must extend to recruiting practices too.

Cadets2 are now a member corps in DCA. I do not think it is unreasonable to ask that they engage in fair recruiting practices with their fellow DCA member corps. Ties with band circuits should be used to increase your own recruiting potential, not to decrease that of other corps. I would not condone any corps using their ties with a band circuit to exclude all other corps from recruiting at major shows in that band circuit. I do not care whether it is Cadets/USBands, Buccaneers/Cavalcade, or Bushwackers in the new band circuit you suggest they create... they should all behave like the adults we claim to include in the all-age activity.

There was once a local TOB host that only allow one corps in due to ties with many staff and students at their school.

it is what is, and DCA should be about fewer babysitting rules than more over who does what.

as for band circuits and cut throat things...please. band directors will always go where ever they feel the grass is greener. In my area, I have seen one band start in TOB, then, when they weren't winning anymore, they went to USBands. Then they stopped winning there so they went to cavalcade. Now they aren't winning there, and are knocking on TOB's door.

• Like 1

I was being facetious. The area does not need, nor would it support, another band circuit. I still think it's completely ridiculous that folks want to create rules designed to remove the perceived advantages C2 may or may not have by being a part of a larger organization. DCA doesn't have the power (nor should it) to place any restriction on what YEA, band circuits, or non-DCA show hosts.

If you don't like that, find a way for your corps to gain an advantage that Cadets2 doesn't have. It's really not hard to figure out.

good point. If being exclusive to YEA alone was so wrong...how come Cadets2 marched several holes well into August?

• Like 1

that may have been the schools rules. We rent the facility so we have to play by their rules. I was only there long enough to judge, then take a then screaming 5 month old home

no harm, no foul.

I spectated at that contest, there really wasn't a lot of room for much of anything in the area Surf was in. I found myself stuck between the kettle corn and the band parent food stand when I visited that area.

Then make it worthwhile and compelling to do so, as I said and has Jeff.

Reading between the lines of posts like these- "Walk a mile in our moccasins, bro, we dare yah" ain't gonna justify it or make a particularly compelling reason. Even the brats are more compelling reason, and even those aren't enough. If a "Cartel" corps wanted and they covered the money for them and gave me a grill, I have access to the two local German stores run by real Germans and I make a pretty mean Bockwurst/Weisswurst/Knackwurst cookout with the right mustards and Curry Ketchup to boot.

Bush got back from nearly taking a dive, Empire's gone, and folks just think everyone's ready to invest in the road trip because well, they "just should". No one out here wants to be the ones that blow up their corps and be the next to go under or have their corps bailed out.

"Oh, we don't want to break anyone's bank or cause anyone to put off investing in corps assets or infrastructure... but c'mon, c'mon, c'mon, plan for 2015, do it NOW..." :blink:

I keep saying after all of the debacles and attempts to do this over the last 30+ years, corps have been smacked down enough to be really leery, downright skeptical and afraid. The track record is dismal. Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. And I sense some folks who are blithely ignoring history here and revel in doing so.

"Oh, that won't happen, you negative Nellie! Such a downer you are! It'll be GREAT this time! Load the buses and pull out! Go west!"

Yeah, and Lucy won't pull the football away, either. Tom Peashey has said the task would be "daunting". In this economy, absolutely. Risk-taking for a corps is inviting trouble.

Maybe there will be a corps who does surprise everyone and can pull it off for the heck of it, because they just feel like it. I just wouldn't be expecting or demanding it.

If I were on a BoD of one of the "cartel" and the proposal came up, one of the big question I would ask would likely be, "In what ways will this enhance and enrich the overall experience of our corps members? Or, will this be mainly seeing the Midwest though the windows of a bus and a stadium on the other end?" :blink:

Another question: "Do we need to do this to get a read for the corps? Can we compensate for the fact that weekend's going to have less rehearsal time in it? How will the staff react to that issue, as well as the membership?"

Maybe there are good answers. But plowing ahead on this from the heart and not the head like many individuals are doing in spades in this thread is a recipe for a major fiasco. For me to say that is even scarier, since I'm intuitive as all get-out.

Unfortunately, dealing with this thread's put off my trying to finish my prelims review again. I need sleep.