When will Eastern corps travel (Mid)West?

incorrect again. The last several years, since the move to Hershey, the following units has recruiting tables at ACC's:

Jersey Surf

Hawthorne Caballeros

Bushwackers

Chesapeake Percussion

and I know I am missing someone. Now not everyone went to A class championships, but there were many at Hershey. Does TOB charge a fee? yes, and that irritates some folks, but hey, we gotta pay for the facility and the space used.

at Wildwood for indoor championships, Bush has consistently been the one corps there every year.

love ya man, but please so not speak inaccurately about what TOB does or does not do. As a member of the administration team on a local level, judge and guy doing a lot of the website updating, I'm very qualified to say your above statement is 100% inaccurate

Actually my goof was TOB A class ACCs wouldn't allow it last year in Harrisburg.

I think we did have a table at Hershey. I believe there was a space issue at Dauphin Stadium and they didn't allow any tables, including Surf. I edited my post to fix that.

I did not intend to ever disrespect TOB if anyone took it that way, as I have the utmost respect for everyone there.

Please accept my apology Jeff.

Edited by BushDad1213

GOOD. Not every corps or band circuit is for every organization, and It's important kids realize in this region they have many choices to find a place in DCA where they'll be happy and part of something great.

I want every kid to feel like I do 30 years later in their lives- when I go to Westshore Alumni practice, they keep the seat on the left end open for me just like they did BITD. I know I am HOME, and I have somewhere I BELONG and am PROUD of. Wherever that corps is for that kid, I want them to be there. :satisfied:

Perfectly stated! :thumbup:

Well, it very easily could be a logistical limitation on vendor space, in an area vendors actually have to pay for there, even for independently-run events. But if it's that huge a deal, Bush could always start it's own band circuit...

You know, this is a serious and touchy topic. I hope that is not your sincere suggestion. Taken to its ultimate conclusion, with all corps following your advice and running band circuits engaging in cutthroat competition with one another, we would likely alienate some portion of the band community and the drum corps activity as a whole would lose out.

Finding it hard to believe that while there is space at local HS venues, MetLife has no space for a single corps to set up a little recruiting booth. Or more accurately, they have just enough space to allow Cadets a recruiting booth, and nobody else. If there really are so many vendors demanding space in MetLife, then there should be no recruiting booths in the stadium.

Also finding it hard to believe that the same discussion board that so vigorously defends the right of marchers to move from corps to corps (contrary to traditional release rules) is now opposed to allowing the corps an equal opportunity to recruit. Seriously, for an activity that has evolved so far in cooperative effort, that cooperative attitude must extend to recruiting practices too.

Cadets2 are now a member corps in DCA. I do not think it is unreasonable to ask that they engage in fair recruiting practices with their fellow DCA member corps. Ties with band circuits should be used to increase your own recruiting potential, not to decrease that of other corps. I would not condone any corps using their ties with a band circuit to exclude all other corps from recruiting at major shows in that band circuit. I do not care whether it is Cadets/USBands, Buccaneers/Cavalcade, or Bushwackers in the new band circuit you suggest they create... they should all behave like the adults we claim to include in the all-age activity.

• Like 1

<snip>

Seriously, for an activity that has evolved so far in cooperative effort, that cooperative attitude must extend to recruiting practices too.

</snip>

Off topic I'm sure, but I am reminded of an exchange from The Godfather:

Emilio Barzini to the heads of the five families: "Times have changed. It's not like the Old Days, when we can do anything we want. A refusal is not the act of a friend. If Don Corleone had all the judges, and the politicians in New York, then he must share them, or let us others use them. He must let us draw the water from the well. Certainly he can present a bill for such services; after all... we are not Communists."

Don Vito Corleone to Barzini: "When have I ever refused an accommodation?"

• Like 3

Off topic I'm sure, but I am reminded of an exchange from The Godfather:

Emilio Barzini to the heads of the five families: "Times have changed. It's not like the Old Days, when we can do anything we want. A refusal is not the act of a friend. If Don Corleone had all the judges, and the politicians in New York, then he must share them, or let us others use them. He must let us draw the water from the well. Certainly he can present a bill for such services; after all... we are not Communists."

Don Vito Corleone to Barzini: "When have I ever refused an accommodation?"

Are you now subtley recruiting for the Blue Devils?:ph34r:

• Like 1

Are you now subtly recruiting for the Blue Devils? :ph34r:

Or perhaps Fusion Core, given their 2012 show?

• Like 1

Well, it very easily could be a logistical limitation on vendor space, in an area vendors actually have to pay for there, even for independently-run events. But if it's that huge a deal, Bush could always start its own band circuit...

You know, this is a serious and touchy topic. I hope that is not your sincere suggestion. Taken to its ultimate conclusion, with all corps following your advice and running band circuits engaging in cutthroat competition with one another, we would likely alienate some portion of the band community and the drum corps activity as a whole would lose out.

Finding it hard to believe that while there is space at local HS venues, MetLife has no space for a single corps to set up a little recruiting booth. Or more accurately, they have just enough space to allow Cadets a recruiting booth, and nobody else. If there really are so many vendors demanding space in MetLife, then there should be no recruiting booths in the stadium.

Also finding it hard to believe that the same discussion board that so vigorously defends the right of marchers to move from corps to corps (contrary to traditional release rules) is now opposed to allowing the corps an equal opportunity to recruit. Seriously, for an activity that has evolved so far in cooperative effort, that cooperative attitude must extend to recruiting practices too.

Cadets2 are now a member corps in DCA. I do not think it is unreasonable to ask that they engage in fair recruiting practices with their fellow DCA member corps. Ties with band circuits should be used to increase your own recruiting potential, not to decrease that of other corps. I would not condone any corps using their ties with a band circuit to exclude all other corps from recruiting at major shows in that band circuit. I do not care whether it is Cadets/USBands, Buccaneers/Cavalcade, or Bushwackers in the new band circuit you suggest they create... they should all behave like the adults we claim to include in the all-age activity.

I would agree that Cadets2 should not be allowed to ban other corps from recruiting at marching band shows run by YEA, but I don't think that DCA should force Cadets2 to allow other corps to have vending space for free. By way of comparison: would it be fair for DCI to require Carolina Crown to make their ticketing service available at no charge to shows run by other corps?

• Like 2

I would agree that Cadets2 should not be allowed to ban other corps from recruiting at marching band shows run by YEA, but I don't think that DCA should force Cadets2 to allow other corps to have vending space for free. By way of comparison: would it be fair for DCI to require Carolina Crown to make their ticketing service available at no charge to shows run by other corps?

Well chosen example. Kudos to you!

:ph34r:

Hey folks - usually going OT doesn't bother me too much, but it appears that this discussion has taken an interesting change of direction..

From questioning about corps in the East traveling to issues recruiting and performing at Band shows (in the East)..The subject material is indeed interesting, so maybe someone could start a separate thread for it, please.

Some of us have a more vested interest in the original subject..

Thank you..

BTW - when does hockey season start? :tongue:

Pat

• Like 2