When will Eastern corps travel (Mid)West?

The best 'why' I can think of is it's for the good of DCA as an organization, including all the member corps. If you ask around the marching arts communities (high school bands, WGI drumlines and guards, etc) in this area if they had ever heard of DCI, the answer would be a resounding "YES". If you ask that same group if they'd ever heard of DCA, the answer would be a staunch "NO". Even when I started as a marching member in MBI in the late 90's it took me a couple years to really know what DCA was. I guess the biggest question to ask is; Does DCA want to grow? Does DCA care that few people west of Ohio (outside core drum corps nerds) have never heard of the 12-time DCA champion Reading Buccaneers?

Then if people in other regions have not heard of the Bucs, adding the Bucs to the lineup will not draw any additional spectators. This rationale makes no sense.

If, as you say, few people west of Ohio have heard of DCA, then it is the job of the show promoters to change that situation. That means we need more show hosts; we need those show hosts working harder to get the word out; and we need the DCA home office to consider what it can do to expand support to the show promotion effort nation/worldwide. I am not seeing how coaxing a NE corps into traveling out of region even belongs on that agenda. You would have us believe that the other regions, who only run 2 or 3 shows a season, are wondering why DCA is not particularly well known in their neighborhood?

Build it, and they will come. Note that "build it" needs to happen first.

• Like 1

It's a challenging dilemma, isn't it?

Let's assume adding the Caballeros to a Midwest show is a guarantee of 1500 additional spectators (who would not otherwise be there) purchasing tickets for that show. A real slam dunk! That's an easily available $20,000 added to the budget. Now then, for the good of the order, the Midwest show sponsor offers the new-found $20,000 to the Caballeros to help them pay for the trip. the Caballeros agree to provide payment for all other expenses their corps incurs.

Problem solved?

Fred,

What happens when instead of 1500 'extra' fans show up there are 50 'extra' fans? Have the Cabs been guaranteed the $20K regardless of the actual atendance in your idea? Ii which case the show sponsor eats the $20K. Or are the Cabs expected to eat that $20K? Just curious.

Then if people in other regions have not heard of the Bucs, adding the Bucs to the lineup will not draw any additional spectators. This rationale makes no sense.

If, as you say, few people west of Ohio have heard of DCA, then it is the job of the show promoters to change that situation. That means we need more show hosts; we need those show hosts working harder to get the word out; and we need the DCA home office to consider what it can do to expand support to the show promotion effort nation/worldwide. I am not seeing how coaxing a NE corps into traveling out of region even belongs on that agenda. You would have us believe that the other regions, who only run 2 or 3 shows a season, are wondering why DCA is not particularly well known in their neighborhood?

Build it, and they will come. Note that "build it" needs to happen first.

To me the issue is that this thread is trying to make DCA a single nationwide-spanning organization, but using weekend-only corps to try and do so. IMO the regional DCA divisions culminating in the single champs is the better way to go, esp at this time. If there were multiple regions as strong as the Northeast, there would be a better case to move champs around to those regions. The current structure just doesn't support that, and IMO bringing one of the top DCA corps to a show outside their region does next to nothing to improve the situation, and at a very high cost to that organization.

MikeD-

You took my post too seriously! I was trying to cause thinking about how "simple" this actually is, how critical, and how confident potential show sponsors actually are. Truth be told, I agree with what Amy Snook wrote earlier about her experience hosting MB at Downingtown. A big boost in attendance did not happen. If I recall correctly, she estimated it added only about 200 additional fans. Actually, some of those additional audience members could have been the result of something else, too.

I'm just trying to break through and see if anyone on the East Coast is aware what the corps outside of that region have to do to make it to DCA Finals. It's kind of frustrating to see East Coast folks saying, oh we could never travel outside our region, it's just too expensive. So it's not expensive for everyone else to travel? If we ever get to make the trip, I would expect each of our members would have to fork over $1,000.00 plus dollars plus incidentals in order to make the trip.

I am sure that people from all parts of the country understand the challenges corps face in areas of lower population density and longer distances between corps. And I am sure that they are pulling for you guys to succeed despite those challenges.

However, we cannot change geography. It may sound unsympathetic to acknowledge the uneven population distribution that makes all-age drum corps more practical in the Northeast, and just tell people from other regions to "deal with it". But you will still have to deal with it, no matter how many corps, shows or DCA Championship weekends are exported from the Northeast in the future.

To be honest, when I hear numbers like $1,000+ per member, a part of me wishes corps would consider not making the trip. If the choice is between taking a 35-member corps to DCA Championships, or staying local and affordable and tripling your membership, I would choose the latter. I can only assume from recent behavior that the DCA Championship is an important draw for participants, since I do not see anyone staying home and tripling their membership in the process.

I'm also perplexed why some people think it's forboden to have members pay to participate. I was under the impression it's a hobby and members were expected to pay to play. I guess if a Corps manages to land a sponsorship or two that always helps but is that the norm?

As far as I am aware, corps members pay to participate in every corps with one possible recent exception (White Sabers).

I understand DCA Finals is on the East Coast and it's never going to move because I guess Drum Corps lives and dies on the East Coast.

Well, about 50 years ago, senior corps pretty much lived in the Northeast and died everywhere else. As the veteran-centric activity faded, it became necessary for corps to run their own circuits, and the other regions lacked the critical mass to create the substantial activity that could be done in the Northeast. DCA was just one of several Northeastern circuits that happened to become the sole surviving all-age circuit.

But there is no law saying all corps must do DCA. Midwestern senior corps ran their own circuit in the 60s and 70s, then joined forces with the regional junior circuit (Drum Corps Midwest) for the ensuing 25 years. You have options, depending on what current and prospective corps members in your area want. Does a regional circuit interest them, like the KS/AR/TX/CO idea you have mentioned before? Or are they so captivated by the concept of traveling to DCA Championships that they would raise the money to make it happen? Or do you have a substantial number of people who would become dedicated long-term participants, but cannot even meet the demands of regional travel? Your corps can opt to compete nationally, regionally, or just perform in exhibition locally, based on where the interest lies.

MikeD-

I now realize I didn't answer you completely. IF this process is a "sure bet" for those who insist it must happen, I would suggest the $20,000 debt to have the Cabs there should be an obligation to the show sponsor. The Caballeros (and any other corps) should not place them self at risk due to poor judgment by the sponsor. The same should be true if a show sponsor in Newark, NJ promises a corps $5000 to appear, then foolishly sets his ticket price at $2. Not good thinking on the part of the show sponsor. Plus, it might rain! In this instance, the corps should be held harmless.

While I would love to see a NE corps here in the midwest I find this whole discussion a little funny. For several years now in the DCI forums we have heard about how getting rid of the circuits and forcing the corps to travel more is killing the DCI corps. Yet, that seems to be what is being propposed for the DCA corps here. How about we build the regional circuits and worry about touring cross country later? Frankly I find it more exciting to not know exactly how the placements will fall prior to championships.

• Like 3

MikeD-

You took my post too seriously! I was trying to cause thinking about how "simple" this actually is, how critical, and how confident potential show sponsors actually are. Truth be told, I agree with what Amy Snook wrote earlier about her experience hosting MB at Downingtown. A big boost in attendance did not happen. If I recall correctly, she estimated it added only about 200 additional fans. Actually, some of those additional audience members could have been the result of something else, too.

Fred,

Oh, I knew what you were doing. I was adding my $0.02 to support your post, not replying in opposition! :smile:

While I would love to see a NE corps here in the midwest I find this whole discussion a little funny. For several years now in the DCI forums we have heard about how getting rid of the circuits and forcing the corps to travel more is killing the DCI corps. Yet, that seems to be what is being propposed for the DCA corps here. How about we build the regional circuits and worry about touring cross country later? Frankly I find it more exciting to not know exactly how the placements will fall prior to championships.

:ph34r:

I'll tend to agree with you..the DCI argument is more the AMOUNT of touring rather than the idea of touring. I have always thought if just ONE of the "name" DCA corps could make the effort OCCASIONALLY to venture out this way, it could go a long way to generating interest in the product. Unless the bottom drops out, I see that MBI would continue to make at least one trip outside the region in addition to Nationals each year, budgeting and fundraising to do so..Trying to market an alternative to the DCI product isn't made easy by the fact a majority of fans in this area have been spoiled by the success of the early DCI shows along with the DCM shows that as time progressed allowed our local fan base to see those upper-eschelon corps a couple of times a year..Now with the DCI Minnesota show, many folks use that instead of seeing the former Drum Beauty or early season DCM shows.

MBI, due to its recent rise in rankings, has made a nice dent into that base, but MN drum corps fans are a fickle breed..The weather will have as much to do with the attendance as does the slate of performers. That's why the crowds have been a bit suspect at "the Bank". I see that a lot of folks will NOT attend if the weather isn't favorable..but they still run the show. Granted the 2004 DCM show in DeKalb wasn't as large as the shows before it, but once the Renegades committed - it was easy to play up their coming in - I'm sure similar to the Winston-Salem show...I felt it was a pretty decent crowd considering there were none of the world Class 'name' corps in attendance. DCI had "taken its ball and gone home".

Hope that a DIALOGUE can get started about this, even if it's NOT immediate. When Amy and her crew offered refunds after the rainout in 2011, that showed me that it isn't always about the money - it's about goodwill every once in awhile.

Pat

<snip>

The same should be true if a show sponsor in Newark, NJ promises a corps $5000 to appear, then foolishly sets his ticket price at $2. Not good thinking on the part of the show sponsor. Plus, it might rain! In this instance, the corps should be held harmless.

emphasis mine

The sad part is there is nowhere to host a show in Newark. Even if a sponsor was to be found.