Interservice Academy Competition

Is football being cancelled as well?

Yeah, does this cancellation show that drum corps is in fact more difficult than football?

• Like 1

Related (but unrelated, as the D&B wasn't fiscally motivated) -

Academy football games may be getting (temporarily) cancelled due to shutdown.

Mike

The AP is now reporting that ALL intercollegiate sports and related travel at Army, Navy, Air Force has been indefinitely suspended during the government 'shut down." Further twitters on the above link are beginning to relate the same. And out at the Coast Guard Academy in New London/Groton, installations have layed off 750 civilian workers. I think that Academy and the Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, L.I. also answer to the Dept. of Transportation. As if our sequester cut backs of the drum corps we love wasn't enough....

Edited by drilltech1

Jeff/Midshipmen;

Sorry to hear this, but understandable.

I too had the privilege of judging the interservice Corps contest in Annapolis, great event. Taken very seriously by all the cadets in competition.

I wish you all the very best in your service to our country.

God Bless you All.

Yeah, does this cancellation show that drum corps is in fact more difficult than football?

No, but it does show that drum corps isn't the revenue generator that football is.

Ah, so football is every bit as detrimental to students' grades as the corps competitions were, but because of financial concerns, the athletic directors cannot behave as responsibly as the corps directors have.

(Edited to fix typo.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

Very well stated ,as of now all cadet travels have been put on hold .No football games no half time shows

God Bless and keep our service men and women safe .And thank them for there service.

• 5 years later...

Knowing one of the staff members at USNA, it's also budgetary concerns as well as the serious commitment each corps have to fulfilling the mission priorities laid out by the Academies. I do know the USNA's Superintendent is highly supportive of the organization, and that they're strong and hard -working.