DCI Audio/DVD price increase

Boston adapted some lines from Maya Angelou's "Still I Rise" to suggest, it seems, recovery after a disaster. Thus the rumbling, dust, and gray uniforms to start. That narration was heard at the top of the show and then twice (I think) during the show, the last time being just before the corps shouted "I rise!" and revealed their red uniforms.

You can see the powder effect here.

Thanks for the vid! That looks like a really cool effect, it's too bad they weren't able to do it for Finals (though I understand why DCI does not allow for that type of thing)

I know it's very difficult to get permission to use Maya Angelou's poetry and pageantry productions like drum corps, WGI, BOA, etc. It's unfortunate that BAC couldn't have found a similarly effective way to convey their idea without using poetic work that is well known to be either very costly or very difficult to obtain all necessary rights. Oh well; I remember neither loving or disliking their show & I'll take a look at it on FN this week when I get a few minutes.

(sorry for taking up a bit of space rehashing BAC's 2013 show - on the plus side if 30 seconds of poetry is all that's fuct from Blurays, I'm not unhappy very much)

Thanks for the vid! That looks like a really cool effect, it's too bad they weren't able to do it for Finals (though I understand why DCI does not allow for that type of thing)

I know it's very difficult to get permission to use Maya Angelou's poetry and pageantry productions like drum corps, WGI, BOA, etc. It's unfortunate that BAC couldn't have found a similarly effective way to convey their idea without using poetic work that is well known to be either very costly or very difficult to obtain all necessary rights. Oh well; I remember neither loving or disliking their show & I'll take a look at it on FN this week when I get a few minutes. (Sorry for taking up a bit of space rehashing BAC's 2013 show -- on the plus side, if 30 seconds of poetry is all that's cut from Blu-rays, I'm not unhappy very much.)

In DCA, smoke effects have been used fairly often (especially by Empire Statesmen) and I've seen them in high school band shows also (for instance, by Avon Lake just this past weekend) with no apparent deleterious effect on field conditions for subsequent ensembles, so I wonder if DCI's rules should be changed to permit that.

Boston's staff probably could have written an original poem on the theme of "Rise" that was better, for their needs, than their modified Angelou. (And I would have preferred that it have been a live rather than prerecorded member intoning it.) But as you say, it's a near-negligible loss on the recording.

In DCA, smoke effects have been used fairly often (especially by Empire Statesmen) and I've seen them in high school band shows also (for instance, by Avon Lake just this past weekend) with no apparent deleterious effect on field conditions for subsequent ensembles, so I wonder if DCI's rules should be changed to permit that.

Boston's staff probably could have written an original poem on the theme of "Rise" that was better, for their needs, than their modified Angelou. (And I would have preferred that it have been a live rather than prerecorded member intoning it.) But as you say, it's a near-negligible loss on the recording.

In our neck of the woods, smoke effects can be used but leaving anything on the field afterwards will incur a penalty (for example, baby powder would leave stuff on the field while a dry ice smoke machine will not).

So far there is very little talk of edits (though it's still early); seems like DCI typically doesn't announce that type of thing, though, until way closer to shipping.

exactly. and year to year you can never predict what will and won't be, so I just stopped.

Plus, like in 08, they can ship, then get edited for later versions.

On the DCI website it states that the CDs are set to ship in October 2013. Does anyone know if this is still true or have an update on this?

On the DCI website it states that the CDs are set to ship in October 2013. Does anyone know if this is still true or have an update on this?

I spoke to the office today regarding an order that I was combining with the 2013 products and it was mentioned that they expected delivery of the CD's in the office this week and they may start shipping out by Friday. I wasn't looking for that news, but was pleased to hear it.

snip

So DCI has a pretty deep history of corps to mash together as "collections" to sell for $49.95 each. Want to see all the corps who have played Malaguena, in order, year by year? Order this set. Want to see all of the renditions of Copeland? Buy this set. How about all Cadets shows, by decade, on a three disc set for $99? How about all shows designed by (insert name), on one disc? Buy this set, just $39.95. How much would you pay to have EVERY performance of (insert corps) from one year to watch the progression of your favorite show? How about just the major regionals of single-corps performances? Best GE performances? Buy this set.

I've seen many-hundreds of old movies and I have a few "collections". But a drum corps rookie might fall in love with Surf and be willing to buy a two disc set of their last 10 years for $49.95 before they'd plunk down $139 for 12 corps at one competition.

snip

How about giving us the opportunity to assemble our own "collections" by providing HD-quality performances (when available) for download purchasing? I'm pretty sure I'd pay double the going rate for VPDs to get the full res versions...

How about giving us the opportunity to assemble our own "collections" by providing HD-quality performances (when available) for download purchasing? I'm pretty sure I'd pay double the going rate for VPDs to get the full res versions...

Similar to WGI...this would be great...something I've wanted for a long time...but I think DCI was approached about it several years ago, and considered it too costly to do all that customization. If we'rew on Fan Network...can we purchase shows and create our own DVDs that way?

Purely from an audio perspective, why can't Fan Network create ad-hoc bundles? Phantom through the years? Champions only? Classical music? Etc... For that matter, considering the VPD's available for download - why not video bundles as well?

Mike

Purely from an audio perspective, why can't Fan Network create ad-hoc bundles? Phantom through the years? Champions only? Classical music? Etc... For that matter, considering the VPD's available for download - why not video bundles as well?

Mike

I would suspect the amount of work - profit margin makes that not worth DCI doing.

As for the video bundles, I think that's what DCI is doing with the ESSENTIALS Blurays (a _GREAT_ idea, IMO).

I've been asking for DCI to do fan-made video "mixes" of shows for years ala WGI where you were able to mid & match whatever video shows you wanted (I think 6 shows per DVD) for a fixed price. Maybe with the FN, you can download whatever audio or video you want and make your own mixes (albeit ones that are not as good a quality as the DVD's or CD's would be).

I guess at this point I just hope that DCI continues to produce their ESSENTIALS Blurays