Madison Scouts 2014 -- Playing the Music of Stan Kenton and Don Ellis

Weedy, I'm inclined to agree with BigBag on this subject. Scouts show design is just not even in the same zip code with the upper tier corps. I was all in with the "judges aren't giving enough credit" deal until I saw the full field. And after watching it.....Scouts are WAY behind.

It is not a matter of right or wrong. It is that the posts are extremely negative, not accomplishing anything, and once you have said something once, does it really need to be said again (or in this case, many, many more times)? Piling on negativity is not doing anyone any good. Personally, I like this year's show.

• Like 1

What's concerning to me is for whatever reason, Madison's percussion scores are now dropping. Which doesn't make any sense at all! Okay they may be lacking visually in some areas, but musically both horn and drum wise they should be scoring much better than what they did last night. Does anyone have any idea as to why the horn and percussion scores are not doing as well at this late in the season? I am trying to take the high road here and stay away from the political they don't like Madison theory and look at an objective rationale here.

Percussion scores look consistent relative to the field between San Antonio and Atlanta (10th both shows). It's hard to be a top 5 line with a show package that isn't also pushing in that territory.

Gotta say, however, that the tuning isn't helping. The snares are cranked so hard that it's magnifying the attack errors and reducing volume readability upstairs.

What's concerning to me is for whatever reason, Madison's percussion scores are now dropping. Which doesn't make any sense at all! Okay they may be lacking visually in some areas, but musically both horn and drum wise they should be scoring much better than what they did last night. Does anyone have any idea as to why the horn and percussion scores are not doing as well at this late in the season? I am trying to take the high road here and stay away from the political they don't like Madison theory and look at an objective rationale here.

Madison's drumline has been performing that book at a VERY high level, all summer. It may be that other lines are cleaning up as the summer progresses and catching up on the achievement side of things.

• Like 1

Percussion scores look consistent relative to the field between San Antonio and Atlanta (10th both shows). It's hard to be a top 5 line with a show package that isn't also pushing in that territory.

Gotta say, however, that the tuning isn't helping. The snares are cranked so hard that it's magnifying the attack errors and reducing volume readability upstairs.

Slingerland am I reading you correctly in you saying that the overall show design could be hurting the drum scores?

It is not a matter of right or wrong. It is that the posts are extremely negative, not accomplishing anything, and once you have said something once, does it really need to be said again (or in this case, many, many more times)? Piling on negativity is not doing anyone any good. Personally, I like this year's show.

It's a discussion board. If the discussion comes full circle a few times, it's not too surprising.

It's time to admit that this Indiana experiment has failed. They're not placing any higher with the camps in Bloomington than they were while being based out of Madison. Bring the Scouts back to Madison and while you're at it, bring Todd Ryan back home too.

• Like 1

It's time to admit that this Indiana experiment has failed. They're not placing any higher with the camps in Bloomington than they were while being based out of Madison. Bring the Scouts back to Madison and while you're at it, bring Todd Ryan back home too.