Phantom Regiment 2014

Ah, DCP.... We are a fickle crowd. Give us something unique and different, we shriek for something old and familiar. Give us old and familiar, and we yearn for something fresh and new.

I like Regiment because they know who they are, with no pretenses whatsoever. I know what to expect from them, and while I may not always end up loving the show at the end of the season, I'll still remember it. They're my DCI equivalent of a security blanket. They don't change their MO just for the sake of changing their MO.

Swan Lake will fit them well. I don't see this becoming another Spartacus, but then... I didn't see Spartacus becoming what it did.

• Like 1

I just want them to change the types of stories they tell or the way they tell them. Since 2008, the shows have followed a similar plot/theme/model. They can continue to have the same identity, but not just using the same formula. How about not doing a show that has music/ties to the past for once? Something totally new, but still Regiment? Is that asking too much?

I didn't think that "Into the Light" really had a story. Or at least in the same vein as the other being brought up. I for one am excited, whatever the show may be.

I didn't think that "Into the Light" really had a story. Or at least in the same vein as the other being brought up. I for one am excited, whatever the show may be.

That show had something going for it even though the execution wasn't there. I know a lot of older alumni and phans weren't too happy with the direction that show took, but it did tell a story…proving that there is more than one way to tell one.

Colts did this in 2011, combining excerpts from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake with Saint-Saëns's "The Swan" (from Carnival of the Animals), as well as two other non-swan works. Regiment could do them one better by throwing in George Gershwin's "Swanee". Or Stephen Foster's "Swanee River" (aka "Old Folks at Home"). Casting farther afield, I see that Loreena McKennitt has a song titled "The Bonny Swans" ... and Megadeth did one called "Black Swan".

Or better still, something by Donald Swann? "Have Some Madeira, M'Dear"? Perelandra? "The Road Goes Ever On"? How about:

The Hippopotamus

Mud, mud, glorious mud!

What would really help would be some narration samples by Miss Swan (MadTV)...

"I tell you.....I tell you.....I tell you every ting!"

"He a look.....he a look.....he a looka like a man!"

Ah, DCP.... We are a fickle crowd. Give us something unique and different, we shriek for something old and familiar. Give us old and familiar, and we yearn for something fresh and new.

I like Regiment because they know who they are, with no pretenses whatsoever. I know what to expect from them, and while I may not always end up loving the show at the end of the season, I'll still remember it. They're my DCI equivalent of a security blanket. They don't change their MO just for the sake of changing their MO.

Swan Lake will fit them well. I don't see this becoming another Spartacus, but then... I didn't see Spartacus becoming what it did.

This is true: they have been seemingly unwavering in their adherence to their corps style. Between their highest success & lowest "misses," they are essentially the same stylistically as at least going back to the 70's. I'm not a huge Phan (I like some, I dislike some), but I admire the hel out of them always doing what they do

Ha, so true. It's like DCP (or the entire internet, really) is seemingly only happy when they have something to complain about :tounge2:

This is true: they have been seemingly unwavering in their adherence to their corps style. Between their highest success & lowest "misses," they are essentially the same stylistically as at least going back to the 70's. I'm not a huge Phan (I like some, I dislike some), but I admire the hel out of them always doing what they do

exactly! in a day and age where so many complain everyone sounds the same...Phantom doesn't.

• Like 1

It's true that most shows prior to '05 didn't have a "story" (except '82 and '88), but that was almost 10 years ago. That's a long time in drum corps years considering how much the activity has changed since then. It's now part of their identity. Many corps don't seem to stick to an identity anymore and it's nice to see PR sticking to theirs..... also interesting to note that before '81 corps never even had themes. It was just a random mix of songs. People thought PR was nuts and look where it took the activity. Not saying this is related to anything currently being discussed. just a fun fact.

exactly. so to back up what CorpsBand was saying ( god I hate agreing with him LOL) the musical choice will end up driving the bus until you marry it to the visual. if anything, Phantom visually hasn't been up to the level of those ahead of them, and yeah, the witch thing last year wasn't quite 08 or Juliet. it sure as hell beat the red violin

If I close my eyes however and can't see the visual, Phantom's music in the " Red Violin " theme is rather appealing to me. It was the visual ( compared to others ahead of them ) that was rather meh to me that year. By contrast, if I ( for just one example ) do the same thing with the Cadets Title winning show " Angels and Demons ", the music doesn't really do much for me by itself. It is the visual that is stunning and was the driving force toward its title, imo. To that extent, they might have done other musical arrangements and likely it would have worked for them as well due to the well constructed, highly creative, visual design of that show, imo.

As for the selection of " Swan Lake " by Phantom Regiment, it seems to me to potentially fit their unique style very well if its designed well visually. Phantom's all female guard seems particularly well suited to this iconic theme, imo. I think the theme has potential for them, and I'm willing to wait and see what they do visually with it. I think it has potential... especially with their Guard.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

If I close my eyes however and can't see the visual, Phantom's music in the " Red Violin " theme is rather appealing to me. It was the visual ( compared to others ahead of them ) that was rather meh to me that year. By contrast, if I ( for just one example ) do the same thing with the Cadets Title winning show " Angels and Demons ", the music doesn't really do much for me by itself. It is the visual that is stunning and was the driving force toward its title, imo. To that extent, they might have done other musical arrangements and likely it would have worked for them as well due to the well constructed, highly creative, visual design of that show, imo.

Agreed- I have listened to '09 PR more times than any other corps that year (including Crown, which is one of my favorite shows of all time).

2012 is a pretty good show, because the arranging and hornline were pretty good. Last year was a big disappointment for me. 2011 isn't my favorite either (I don't like Elsa's, don't kill me!).

Hopefully if they do Swan Lake, they mix some things up this year. I hope that in any case.