Phantom Regiment 2014

If I close my eyes however and can't see the visual, Phantom's music in the " Red Violin " theme is rather appealing to me. It was the visual ( compared to others ahead of them ) that was rather meh to me that year. By contrast, if I ( for just one example ) do the same thing with the Cadets Title winning show " Angels and Demons ", the music doesn't really do much for me by itself. It is the visual that is stunning and was the driving force toward its title, imo. To that extent, they might have done other musical arrangements and likely it would have worked for them as well due to the well constructed, highly creative, visual design of that show, imo.

As for the selection of " Swan Lake " by Phantom Regiment, it seems to me to potentially fit their unique style very well if its designed well visually. Phantom's all female guard seems particularly well suited to this iconic theme, imo. I think the theme has potential for them, and I'm willing to wait and see what they do visually with it. I think it has potential... especially with their Guard.

while i know visual was indeed phantoms nemesis that year, musically it is my least favorite Phantom show since 1999

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZO-UYsehs&list=TLOI5XKuujXtsJRV10T7E7Sd-nAh-0nCLx

Wouldn't it be interesting if PR shocked, eeerrr, surprised everyone and did Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake. It would call for an all male guard, as the swans are all male. And woudn't it be interesting to see how the guartd staff would work with all men. It would be an opportunity to some something forward thinking rather than the usual, sweet and safe stuff of yesteryear.

Swans are very masculine, aggressive and athletic birds after all.

OH WELL!!!!

Edited by eric49

After nearly 30 years of following Regiment, it is. They're boring, predictable and stale. Create a more modern version of the corps. Stop doing constant throwbacks. They make it look like the corps is out of ideas. Even the kids who have/are marching the corps are tired of the same old storyline.

What happened to doing things like the non-story years of the 90's?

Oh yeah, Cesario (a true creative genius) was program coordinator.[/quote

I've been part of the organization 40+ years and I can say some years have been more successful than others but bottom line they will stay true to their identity. If you have a problem with that then move on. Quit the bashi..er..gnashing of teeth and find something else. It's okay. Really. You've stated your case ad nauseum.......rather than being negative go be positive about some other concept.

PR does indeed have an identity that all it's fans would like to see continue. But being "true to their identity" doesn not mean sitting on one's laurels either. IMHO, this seems to be the point of all the discussion about they more recent programs. I, for one, would like to see PR take this identity and shape it to be more in keeping with today's drum corps activity, making them more competitive.

Repeating, or variation on, a theme does come across as a bit desperate. PR's shows have placed anywhere from first to ninth in the last several years, so looking to the past doesn't seem to be as effective as it should be, so why not take a few risks with show design and do somehthing more progressive and current.

It would call for an all male guard, as the swans are all male.

Unless you are a purist, why would Regiment have to use an all-male guard? And if you 'are' a purist, then Regiment must also use Violins, Violas, Cellos, and Double Bass because that is what was in the original production.

Swans are very masculine, aggressive and athletic birds after all.

Hmmmm... try telling that to the 'female' swans :laugh:

Unless you are a purist, why would Regiment have to use an all-male guard? And if you 'are' a purist, then Regiment must also use Violins, Violas, Cellos, and Double Bass because that is what was in the original production.

DUH!!!! Why am I not surprised you missed the point all together???

You're aware the world doesn't work in absolutes, right? I know it's your signature move to take things to the furthest "logical" conclusions you can possibly make. By the way, if you tell that to the female swans, it follows that you must tell all female birds. Have fun with that.

Phantom will be fine; although their brass has been eclipsed by Crown's dominance in recent years.

PR does indeed have an identity that all it's fans would like to see continue. But being "true to their identity" doesn not mean sitting on one's laurels either. IMHO, this seems to be the point of all the discussion about they more recent programs. I, for one, would like to see PR take this identity and shape it to be more in keeping with today's drum corps activity, making them more competitive.

Repeating, or variation on, a theme does come across as a bit desperate. PR's shows have placed anywhere from first to ninth in the last several years, so looking to the past doesn't seem to be as effective as it should be, so why not take a few risks with show design and do somehthing more progressive and current.

How does having an all male guard make it automatically progressive and current? We already have two all male guards. I think the all female aspect gives them something unique and actually MORE progressive. The last time they did swan lake, and it wasn't all swan lake, was 1987 when they switched to the uniforms you see today. You understand their 1st place was a show based on a past show concept also right? I might be alone on this, but I think this is the right corps, for this production and it will be great. Hate them or love them at least Phantom knows who they are..and it seems to work for them.