Phantom Regiment 2014

Crown could do much worse than having you for a solid supporter, so if funked up uniforms, flute samples, and narration/voice paired with tasty horn licks is what you want from drum corps, start a 2014 Crown thread and woop it up!

Way to go Tru, using a PR thread to bash Crown. Shouldn't you be on a BD topic gushing about the the intricacies of follow the leader drill?

• Like 1

in this day and age, a show announcement means little until you see it. Without knowing the pieces chosen, it's all speculation.

Disagree (shocking I know).

While visual might be in the drivers seat during the season, I still believe that MUSIC drives quality design. So I don't think you can "over emphasize" music selection.

Meh.. I don't know about this. Cadets played " Jingle Bells " as one of the musical selections in their show as recently as 2 years ago. Finished 4th. In the same year, Glassmen played " Symphony # 3 " and placed 14th and out of the running for Finals Night, Troopers played ' Music for Theatre " in 2012 and finished 18th, but the following year played the traditional and familiar " Battle Hymn of the Republic " and had the biggest placement jump (to 13th ) of any WC Corps last season..... Crown parlayed Rock n' Roll music for 4th place in 2011, and yet finished in 16th place in 2002 playing the esoteric and demanding " Zeus ( 2nd Essay ) " We have several dozen examples where the music selected doesn't mean a thing. Its all partly in the Musical Perf, Execution Captions these days... and as I mentioned, primarily the Visual Anal/ Guard. So I don't don't think we've learned a thing at all when ANY Corps makes an announcement of their theme, music selections. Oh well, I realize that some believe they can tell right away if a show will be a hit or not by the mere mention of the Corps Theme in the early winter... and thats cool and and all too.

Edited by BRASSO

Meh.. I don't know about this. Cadets played " Jingle Bells " as one of the musical selections in their show as recently as 2 years ago. Finished 4th. In the same year, Glassmen played " Symphony # 3 " and placed 14th and out of the running for Finals Night, Troopers played ' Music for Theatre " in 2012 and finished 18th, but the following year played the traditional and familiar " Battle Hymn of the Republic " and had the biggest placement jump (to 13th ) of any WC Corps last season..... Crown parlayed Rock n' Roll music for 4th place in 2011, and yet finished in 16th place in 2002 playing the esoteric and demanding " Zeus ( 2nd Essay ) " We have several dozen examples where the music selected doesn't mean a thing. Its all partly in the Musical Perf, Execution Captions these days... and as I mentioned, primarily the Visual Anal/ Guard. So I don't don't think we've learned a thing at all when ANY Corps makes an announcement of their theme, music selections. Oh well, I realize that some believe they can tell right away if a show will be a hit or not by the mere mention of the Corps Theme in the early winter... and thats cool and and all too.

it's not just music selection, it's the arrangement. Where Phantom has succeeded in winning hearts is by having long flowing melodic passages.

Several folks have brought up that Tchaikovsky may not comprise the entire show and that other pieces may be used as well to tell the story.

Assuming that the show is called "Swan Lake," how would other pieces make up the show? Is there a story called "Swan Lake" that exists outside of the ballet? For example, the story of Spartacus is a stand alone story - one doesn't need a piece of music called "Spartacus" to tell the story. The same with Faust. Is that true of a show called "Swan Lake"?

Why does a corps have to change for you to keep liking them? I love PR BECAUSE we always do stories and big beautiful classical music. It's our identity and I wouldn't want it any other way. I love getting my heart ripped out and torn to pieces by a drum corps show. No one else does that. This past season may not have been as "successful" as other seasons, but being a part of it was everything I ever dreamed it would be. I don't care in the slightest how we placed because I was able to be a part of the emotional journey that is a Phantom Regiment show.... just my 2 cents.

• Like 4

Why does a corps have to change for you to keep liking them? I love PR BECAUSE we always do stories and big beautiful classical music. It's our identity and I wouldn't want it any other way. I love getting my heart ripped out and torn to pieces by a drum corps show. No one else does that. This past season may not have been as "successful" as other seasons, but being a part of it was everything I ever dreamed it would be. I don't care in the slightest how we placed because I was able to be a part of the emotional journey that is a Phantom Regiment show.... just my 2 cents.

I just want them to change the types of stories they tell or the way they tell them. Since 2008, the shows have followed a similar plot/theme/model. They can continue to have the same identity, but not just using the same formula. How about not doing a show that has music/ties to the past for once? Something totally new, but still Regiment? Is that asking too much?

I just want them to change the types of stories they tell or the way they tell them. Since 2008, the shows have followed a similar plot/theme/model. They can continue to have the same identity, but not just using the same formula. How about not doing a show that has music/ties to the past for once? Something totally new, but still Regiment? Is that asking too much?

The way that they are going with their visual design, in 2014 they will again use the puppet witch, along with an inflatable swan the size of the NASA spacecraft assembly preparation building at Kennedy space center, and at least ten of the Macey’s Thanksgiving Day floating Balloon characters

• Like 1

I love PR BECAUSE we always do stories and big beautiful classical music. It's our identity and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Always? Isn't Phantom's storytelling a recent phenomenon?

• Like 1

What's wrong with the past? "Old, new, borrowed, and blue" and all that.