Phantom Regiment 2014

I just want them to change the types of stories they tell or the way they tell them. Since 2008, the shows have followed a similar plot/theme/model. They can continue to have the same identity, but not just using the same formula. How about not doing a show that has music/ties to the past for once? Something totally new, but still Regiment? Is that asking too much?

Umm, I'm curious how the corps does all classical music that doesn't have ties to the past?

:wacko:

(just picking. I think I understand your point)

• Like 1

it's not just music selection, it's the arrangement. Where Phantom has succeeded in winning hearts is by having long flowing melodic passages.

I'd agree with this observation too. I've been both pleased as well as other times displeased with a music selection, depending upon its arrangement and presentation.

Phantom could also play some Charles-Camille Saint-Saëns "The Swan" in this show. So there are other music selections to choose from with a theme: Swan Lake.

• Like 1

Phantom could also play some Charles-Camille Saint-Saëns "The Swan" in this show. So there are other music selections to choose from with a theme: Swan Lake.

Colts did this in 2011, combining excerpts from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake with Saint-Saëns's "The Swan" (from Carnival of the Animals), as well as two other non-swan works. Regiment could do them one better by throwing in George Gershwin's "Swanee". Or Stephen Foster's "Swanee River" (aka "Old Folks at Home"). Casting farther afield, I see that Loreena McKennitt has a song titled "The Bonny Swans" ... and Megadeth did one called "Black Swan".

Or better still, something by Donald Swann? "Have Some Madeira, M'Dear"? Perelandra? "The Road Goes Ever On"? How about:

The Hippopotamus

Mud, mud, glorious mud!

• Like 1

I'd agree with this observation too. I've been both pleased as well as other times displeased with a music selection, depending upon its arrangement and presentation.

exactly. so to back up what CorpsBand was saying ( god I hate agreing with him LOL) the musical choice will end up driving the bus until you marry it to the visual. if anything, Phantom visually hasn't been up to the level of those ahead of them, and yeah, the witch thing last year wasn't quite 08 or Juliet. it sure as hell beat the red violin

Yes. When were there stories before '06 (I don't really count '05 as a story) other than the early Spartacus shows?

The 92 show had a full story to it but I'm not sure how many people caught on. (Naturally, all of the color guard died.)