Phantom Regiment 2014

The synthesized whispering sounds as the drum break / costume change occurs? Please cut them back. The pseudo-choir after that can probably go, too.

It seems like they found that one synth patch a few years ago, and have to work it in somehow every season. I get it, it's classical and you have to find appropriate things for the field, but, man, it always seems to sneak in there.

However, if you want to really turn things on their ear with the new rules, go find yourself a classical pianist who can rip it up one year and make them the featured player. Better yet, do an organ show and play some Saint-Saens or Jongen.

Anyhoo, perhaps the show will grow on me as the rewrites occur. Hill's arrangements don't give me any sort of visceral reaction (although I could really say the same about Shaw over at SCV this year as well), but I've always been a big Swan Lake fan.

If somebody told me years ago that fans would demand Phantom get away from classical music, I'd have called them a nut. But do you people who believe this mean "orchestral", rather than "classical"? 2010's show had music composed in the last 50 or so years, and 2007 had some even newer stuff. Do people what Phantom to branch out to stuff like tango (2004)?

As long as they stay away from modern wind band material, I'm ok with them. There are too many corps out there playing wind band stuff note-for-note on the field. That's not what I want to see, but I'm in the minority. I want DRUM CORPS arrangements, not re-orchestrations.

• Like 2

The synthesized whispering sounds as the drum break / costume change occurs? Please cut them back. The pseudo-choir after that can probably go, too.

It also sounds like they're using the "flapping wings and chirpinhg birds" from "On Air" in the very beginning as well...

Phantom just needs to get away from classical. It is getting dry and boring.

Haven't they moved away from it this year ... only 2 of the 5 musical selections can qualify as classical.

Edited by ashevillemurphy

Would it be fair to assume that Phantom's staff realizes that those costume change in the conical curtains are reeaallly slloooww and is going to replace them with something faster or different later in the season? Will those guard members disappear or something?

I tend to agree.

Also, I don't understand why they even bother with such a production for those six swans to transform - we already have about 1/3 of the guard in black and the swans in the back just hide behind those black monoliths to change...

seems like they could have the black swans that are already up front dance around with the guy in the white uni while the six in white just duck (no pun intended) behind the front screen...

there is certainly nothing dramatic about the unveiling of these new black swans.

I hope there is some art/decoration coming for all the black screening in front and back as well.

• Like 1

However, if you want to really turn things on their ear with the new rules, go find yourself a classical pianist who can rip it up one year and make them the featured player. Better yet, do an organ show and play some Saint-Saens or Jongen.

Regiment has played Saint Saens Symphony #3, the "Organ Symphony", a number of times in the past, though not since 90, I think. if they aren't going to do my annual request for Janacek's "Sinfonietta", that would be a good one to bring out complete with organ and the piano features. One of my all-time favorite pieces ever, and it has a gorgeous 'ballad' spot with the cello section that works great on the field.

• Like 2

Boy I hope the fangs retract soon. Wondering if you dissect other corps as you do Phantom..As I said before you can give your opinion witthout being disrespectul and mean. I will have to read other sites and see. Yes, changes need to be made but the negativity clouds what you write and decreases the validity of your ideas.

Who, me? I posted plenty of positives as well. I thought my post was pretty backed up and well balanced.

Um, no. See '89-'97 for examples.

They can have an all female guard. It's just that they aren't being used in an aggressive manner like they used to be.

True, however those corps had different design teams, and show design in general was much different back then, where 'roles' of guard members didn't matter so much. It's a different time now, especially with their trend in story telling.

I just hate to see them turn away talent that they can have, unless they specifically cast only women as a design choice (ie juliet).

On the other hand, their guard from 2011 until now is definitely better than anything they had in 2009-2010, when they did have guys in the guard. The reason for that is another story, however :).

If they choose to stay with an all female guard in the foreseeable future, it's not the end of the world. They can definitely make it work. I'm just saying it adds some unnecessary constrictions. They can work around it though.

one more thing. Does anybody know why their 'swan' set was altered? The swan is no longer there , and they created a lot of negative space on the left side of the field that the eye automatically looks to because of the shape of the form, however there is nothing going on there. Bugs me a bit, but I'm wondering if they altered the set for musical/brass reasons.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2

True, however those corps had different design teams, and show design in general was much different back then, where 'roles' of guard members didn't matter so much. It's a different time now, especially with their trend in story telling.

I just hate to see them turn away talent that they can have, unless they specifically cast only women as a design choice (ie juliet).

On the other hand, their guard from 2011 until now is definitely better than anything they had in 2009-2010, when they did have guys in the guard. The reason for that is another story, however :).

If they choose to stay with an all female guard in the foreseeable future, it's not the end of the world. They can definitely make it work. I'm just saying it adds some unnecessary constrictions. They can work around it though.