Phantom Regiment 2014

Let me put it this way. The repetitive use of story telling of misfortune has become a crutch for lack of creativity. PR has in the past performed some great shows based on a story that were not boring and tired. I still say the "wall of sound" Phantom was known for is missing and the exciting shows that kept everyone on the edge of their seats seems to have disappeared also.

As to your comment about the dance troupe, errr guard. Pretty is as pretty does. Long haired (extentions) ladies in pretty dresses that are not doing much equipment work and mostly just dance moves is getting old too.

Story telling is not exclusive to PR by any means and there have been some great shows of this nature that were not the same old theme.

And it would be so exciting to see PR take their style of music and do something different and innovative rather then just sitting on their laurels year after year.

PR is the best at classical music, I just wish they would do something new and innovative with it.

Just a question.

Have you watched their guard at all this year?

• Like 1

Same here! Though I will agree, to some extent with Mr. Chaos here in that I would love to see Phantom do a show that's different from the last few in the sense that it doesn't have a very obvious story line, minus 2010 that's all they've done since 2008. 2010, 2007, 2005, 2003 all come to mind. Simple theme, great music and visual program, and they did fantastically. They don't need a story line to be Phantom! Just some rocking classical music, great drill, and perform that crap outta it. I still want them to indulge me and revisit Symphonie Fantastique, but maybe that's just me.

That said, after a few more viewings, this years isn't a train wreck like my first read, some rewrites and more clarity in the direction of the show and they'll be fine.

I've been hoping for a long time that they'd revisit Symphonie Fantastique, with black uniforms, of course. Ironically, you do realize that there's a storyline to Symphonie Fantastique, which includes Love, Death, and Monsters, which is very consistent with Regiment's direction.

I've been hoping for a long time that they'd revisit Symphonie Fantastique, with black uniforms, of course. Ironically, you do realize that there's a storyline to Symphonie Fantastique, which includes Love, Death, and Monsters, which is very consistent with Regiment's direction.

Or, IMO, they could do Symphonie Fantastique without a story and it would be just as enjoyable if not more.

• Like 1

Or, IMO, they could do Symphonie Fantastique without a story and it would be just as enjoyable if not more.

Phantom Fantastique - I like it.

Some have complained, not necessarily here, that they keep doing the same old thing (speaking musically for a moment). While not as radical a departure as they made in '93 (which was an AWESOME show), the 2014 show is a departure from "typical" Regiment shows (as I see it) in these ways. There are more drum breaks than usual including the one not too far into the show, there is no real ballad (IMO) as we are use to hearing, the music is more aggressive (again IMO) than typical, among other things.

Other corps have greatly departed from their roots (BD for example), but they have done so successfully by writing to the sheets. So, you have to ask yourselves, do we want to see the Regiment turn into BD? While it may bring them competitive success, is completely losing your identity worth the price? Of course, you could choose to look at it as redefining their identity. That is certainly what BD has done. BD's shows from year to year are definitely different. We may call them strange or bizarre, but it works for them.

Every year some friends of mine do our preseason predictions, unfortunately, the Regiment was "predicted" to finish anywhere from 4th to 8th. However, the top 3 predictions contained the same corps, BD, Crown, and Cadets. This completely unscientific poll suggests that the corps (Regiment) is too unpredictable, or it is a recognition of the fact that, if the stars align correctly, the corps could have a good season (competitively).

The corps past success (08) is no guarantee of future success (09). Nonetheless, I will continue to pull for them while recognizing that competitive success (top 3) while nice, may not necessarily be the goal/objective I should hope for.

As far as Regiment and scores, I have to agree with something Dr. Dan said to the corps at one point. I don't care if they win or lose; all that is is putting your enjoyment of a season into the hands of nine people. What is fun and gratifying, though, is to have the corps in the hunt. I would love to see Regiment in the top tier of competition, and in discussion about possibly winning it all.

I have watched the PR show as well as all the other corps shows available on the fan network I'm sure 8 or 10 times

I'm not trying to put you on tthe defense. It is obvious, to me at least, that there are many people here who are very passionate about PR.

By the mere fact that these discussions continue there obviously is a number of us who think the creative direction in the last 7 or 8 years has become stagnant and is stifling the creative process. Also there are those of us who feel the PR we once loved is slipping away. And IMHO opinion the creative direction in the last several years is the reason for this.

Edited by eric49

I have watched the PR show as well as all the other corps shows available on the fan network I'm sure 8 or 10 times

I'm not trying to put you on tthe defense. It is obvious, to me at least, that there are many people here who are very passionate about PR.

By the mere fact that these discussions continue there obviously is a number of us who think the creative direction in the last 7 or 8 years has become stagnant and is stifling the creative process. Also there are those of us who feel the PR we once loved is slipping away. And IMHO opinion the creative direction in the last several years is the reason for this.

Defensive? Look at what you wrote. Even insinuating hair extensions. The guard is as wonderful as prior years - of course imo.

When I am told comments about "defensive" - it's not the first time. It makes me think that there are a lot of people who watch "Celebrity Apprentice" and have learned how to counter argue from it.