Phantom Regiment 2014

There are times when I'm convinced you are the Eddie Haskell of DCP.

" Thats a lovely dress you've got on there today Mrs. Cleaver."

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

By the way I did see the humor in the knitting reference its my weird sense of humor that took over. I miss the old drum corps days myself. Their are several corps that should have won in the past, but the powers that be have the last word. I feel sorry for all the hard working corps members that have been denied the privilege of winning due to drum corps politics.

I'm glad you have a sense of humor. That was a great comment!

. Its a give and take world, imo ( haha!)

Happy Fourth everyone. Here is to all the corps in parades today.

Since I am a decrepit old lady and still rocking in my chair I would love to meet you all face to face. It miight surprise you but my old age (cough, cough) does not inhibit my ability to think and make unbiased conclusions. Yes it is true I am a Regiment fan and sometimes my thoughts are clouded and biased, But they are not at the present time. I know I cant change yout minds. If I had the time and space I would be more than glad to discuss Chaos's positions, but I am old fashioned and would like to do it face to face with everything in the open. I probably know more about the corps than all of you combined. You might be surprised at my observations of this years show. Happy Fourth to all of you.

Grammie12, Thank you for your posts.

If you live in the Phoenix metropolitan area, I would be delighted to have the opportunity to meet you.

As a side matter, I have encouraged the Phantom Regiment Alumni Association to identify specific areas of the country in which multiple alumni live so we can consider local gatherings for alumni and phans alike.

Grammie, with your passion and knowledge of the corps, you are very convincing on some matters and not so on others…but that is true of all of us. I simply invite you to continue to present your views, particularly on this year's program. I look forward to being surprised by your observations, as I am virtually every time I visit any of DCP's forum.

The space is certainly here on this site and hopefully you will find the time.

Happy July 4 to you as well.

Edited by 1956OPR

As an alum from way back (see signature line), a lot of my frustration has been at the corps lack of getting recognized (competitively) for what they were doing. I actually prefer shows where a musical phrase/statement is carried through and not hacked apart for the sake of a visual "wow." This, music, has typically been what the Regiment stood for. Good or bad, the activity is now more about visual staging, props and becoming a stage show.

I think the kids in all the corps are fantastic. My problem, as Chaos has pointed out with Regiment, is design. Why corps feel the need to do something just because they can, makes no sense to me.

I would enjoy Crowns show just as much without trampolines. In fact, they did nothing to help define their show (IMO). If I have to have a degree in quantum physics to enjoy your show, I probably won't.

I was initially skeptical of the corps choice of programming and music. Then, seeing it in Rockford, it surprised me (musically). Visually, it's not the same as what Crown or BD is doing, which seems to be what the judges want to see. Thus, they will not score well in that category. My criticism musically, if you want to call it criticism, would be that, for 80 brass, I expect more volume, no, I want more volume. Perhaps that will come.

As one of the long time alum, I, unfortunately, never expect the corps to win, which is pretty sad actually. However, if they are entertaining and the crowd responds, that's good enough. If they were ever to fully "play the game," I'm not sure how that would be received, even by diehard fans. So, it's almost a ###### if you do, ###### if you don't scenario,

Michael, it was an honor to share the field with you on the 20th. Hope to do it again in the not too distant future. Speaking of the alumni gig. I believe it was a great first step for the corps in reaching out to past members. It's success will hopefully result in additional alumni participation opportunities and increased financial support from said alums.

Rocketman,

I agree with you about the Elsa experience and the welcome given to all by the Alumni Association. Since our badges did not have our DCP tags on them, i don't know whether I met you or not but…if not, maybe next time.

As for the music program comments, I am a music first, design second person. I miss the musical tension, anticipation and then robust "wall of sound" which characterized Phantom's brass lines for so many years. I thought this years show held out that possibility and I still hope that will be achieved.

As for design, this is still category that mystifies me. Since content is half the score in each caption, how does any judge, e.g., know that a particular corps' content is 70% or 97% of what it could be. It seems to me that in terms of visual demand, it is so subjective as to be virtually impossible to accord rankings among highly competitive corps. Yet it is done...

I know I have a lot of work to do to understand this subject. Right now, I feel like my 3 1/2 year old granddaughter, a pre-schooler. If anyone knows of a site that has printable 2014 judging sheets such as those that will be used in August at finals, please let me know.

And if anyone out there ( are you listening Crown fans? ) feels the need to give me tutorials on design, please do so.

Thanks.

Edited by 1956OPR

As an alum from way back (see signature line), a lot of my frustration has been at the corps lack of getting recognized (competitively) for what they were doing. I actually prefer shows where a musical phrase/statement is carried through and not hacked apart for the sake of a visual "wow." This, music, has typically been what the Regiment stood for. Good or bad, the activity is now more about visual staging, props and becoming a stage show.

I think the kids in all the corps are fantastic. My problem, as Chaos has pointed out with Regiment, is design. Why corps feel the need to do something just because they can, makes no sense to me.

I would enjoy Crowns show just as much without trampolines. In fact, they did nothing to help define their show (IMO). If I have to have a degree in quantum physics to enjoy your show, I probably won't.

I was initially skeptical of the corps choice of programming and music. Then, seeing it in Rockford, it surprised me (musically). Visually, it's not the same as what Crown or BD is doing, which seems to be what the judges want to see. Thus, they will not score well in that category. My criticism musically, if you want to call it criticism, would be that, for 80 brass, I expect more volume, no, I want more volume. Perhaps that will come.

As one of the long time alum, I, unfortunately, never expect the corps to win, which is pretty sad actually. However, if they are entertaining and the crowd responds, that's good enough. If they were ever to fully "play the game," I'm not sure how that would be received, even by diehard fans. So, it's almost a ###### if you do, ###### if you don't scenario,

Michael, it was an honor to share the field with you on the 20th. Hope to do it again in the not too distant future. Speaking of the alumni gig. I believe it was a great first step for the corps in reaching out to past members. It's success will hopefully result in additional alumni participation opportunities and increased financial support from said alums.

Rocketman,

I agree with you about the Elsa experience and the welcome given to all by the Alumni Association. Since our badges did not have our DCP tags on them, i don't know whether I met you or not but…if not, maybe next time.

As for the music program comments, I am a music first, design second person. I miss the musical tension, anticipation and then robust "wall of sound" which characterized Phantom's brass lines for so many years. I thought this years show held out that possibility and I still hope that will be achieved.

As for design, this is still category that mystifies me. Since content is half the score in each caption, how does any judge, e.g., know that a particular corps' content is 70% or 97% of what it could be. It seems to me that in terms of visual demand, it is so subjective as to be virtually impossible to accord rankings among highly competitive corps. Yet it is done...

I know I have a lot of work to do to understand this subject. Right now, I feel like my 3 1/2 year old granddaughter, a pre-schooler. If anyone knows of a site that has printable 2014 judging sheets such as those that will be used in August at finals, please let me know.

And if anyone out there ( are you listening Crown fans? ) feels the need to give me tutorials on design, please do so.

Thanks.

me too.

I don't see this 2014 Phantom Regiment edition all that much different at all from most Phantom Regiment editions. They sound and march and look pretty much the same too me, although with reportedly 100 new marchers this year, they are not challenging for a top 4 placement position as we usually see them doing. But they still are doing shows with classical music, and shows with stellar looking guard, and with a show theme where someone expresses love and where someone dies in the show. So it seems like the same formulaic Phantom Regiment to me... even though it apparently doesn't have the same Phantom Regiment vibe with a few others here on DCP. Its still seems like Phantom Regiment to me, and one that lots of fans away from DCP appear to still enjoy from Phantom for 2014.

Let me put it this way. The repetitive use of story telling of misfortune has become a crutch for lack of creativity. PR has in the past performed some great shows based on a story that were not boring and tired. I still say the "wall of sound" Phantom was known for is missing and the exciting shows that kept everyone on the edge of their seats seems to have disappeared also.

As to your comment about the dance troupe, errr guard. Pretty is as pretty does. Long haired (extentions) ladies in pretty dresses that are not doing much equipment work and mostly just dance moves is getting old too.

Story telling is not exclusive to PR by any means and there have been some great shows of this nature that were not the same old theme.

And it would be so exciting to see PR take their style of music and do something different and innovative rather then just sitting on their laurels year after year.

PR is the best at classical music, I just wish they would do something new and innovative with it.

• Like 4