DCI BOD Drama....more to come?

Did corps ever get penalized for not using Bb ?

I am sure you will get the politically correct answer from the hard and fast saying of course not that the brass were judged on tone quality and performance issues.

But I guarantee you if you played on G bugles you were penalized for using them.

Same will happen with WW.

Just remember kiddies (no Ed not including you in the kiddies part :cool: ), at one time the pit was optional. Now how much of the score comes from the pit.

LOL - contra basses were optional 50 years ago too......

It is the line in the sand for a segment of the DCI fan base, including me. I've tolerated lots of changes I don't like, including electronics in its present form and narration in any form, but the day they admit even a soloist to DCI field competition, I won't hesitate to depart the fan base of DCI forever. Just flat out gone, wish y'all well, but gone without looking back. And I know there are others here who feel the same way. So Hop has to ask himself, Does he feel lucky? More in or out the door with woodwinds? He's pretty sure he knows, and maybe he's right, but it's a gamble.

usually his rationale consists of the added band parents. But here's he thing...parents come and go, and not enough stick around for the long haul. Same with alumni. I can name 50 people that marched in the last 15 years that go to allentown every year, but don't go in the stadium once. they hang out in the lot.

I kind of gotta wonder will it really? I mean fair weather fans seem to pitch their temper tantrums for a little while on stuff. Lots said they would be out when it went Bb. Then they said they would be out on the NArration and Singing. Then they said they would be out on electronics. Then they said they would be out on Mic'ed soloist. But yet here we are.

I feel certain there will be die hards that will leave on the wood wind issue.. YOU ARE LOOKING AT ONE OF THEM. I mean for the most part DCI has left me for the most part anyways. I do NOT travel to shows anymore. I use to go to about 5 a year. Now I catch 1!!! the MTSU show. And this year I did not even attend that. I feel the activity has grown into something I do not recognize with anymore. Many of the peeps that I use to go to the shows with and hang out with don't go anymore either and that was one of the driving factors for going to so many shows.

Oh fans left when Bb came out, and some with electronics too. But for a while there, the fan base grew. But i do think woodwinds would really be a blow.

I still see people confusing Hops statement about education. The corps educates .. DCI should not. DCI is a company ... the corps are the educational product. It's just that simple. And Hop was saying .... DCI don't mess with doing seminars or whatever you're planning ... that's OUR job. Simple.

I also love seeing these threads that have a sliver of proof from those in the know ... and 99% conjecture from those of us who are trying to poke the bear cage and get someone to come out of the woodwork and tell us what's really going on. Fact is, that will never happen. They will disclose the end result when it happens ... or they won't. Meantime ... yah.

or people leak info that is accurate. imagine that

So did Hopkins resign from the board of directors? Or is it just rumor and conjecture? There has a lot of allusions to a letter stating as such that's making the rounds among those apparently in-the-know, but nothing about Hopkins' resignation seems to have surfaced on social media, DCI's site or the YEA/Cadets site.

he has officially resigned. that's fact

usually his rationale consists of the added band parents. But here's he thing...parents come and go, and not enough stick around for the long haul. Same with alumni. I can name 50 people that marched in the last 15 years that go to allentown every year, but don't go in the stadium once. they hang out in the lot.

thats been going on since the beginning of drum corps..................maybe loitering in parking lots should be banned.......lol................drum corps people always come and go...there was no bigger mass exodus than there was back in 72 when drum corps was pronounced DEAD by and entire generation( well, not all ) of drum corps fans and members...is there less now ...sure.... did it survive the mass exodus although those involved gave it 10 years at max...yes it did...will it 10 years from now>?...time will tell

Edited by GUARDLING

I still see people confusing Hops statement about education. The corps educates .. DCI should not. DCI is a company ... the corps are the educational product. It's just that simple. And Hop was saying .... DCI don't mess with doing seminars or whatever you're planning ... that's OUR job. Simple.

I also love seeing these threads that have a sliver of proof from those in the know ... and 99% conjecture from those of us who are trying to poke the bear cage and get someone to come out of the woodwork and tell us what's really going on. Fact is, that will never happen. They will disclose the end result when it happens ... or they won't. Meantime ... yah.

i agree with you BUT will say maybe HOP sees losing the education part DCI wants to take over because what WGI has done...they became and education machine ( mainly for their own gain, personally and for a select few to keep themselves relevant in the activity ) maybe thats the issue, who knows what he's thinking.

Edited by GUARDLING

usually his rationale consists of the added band parents. But here's he thing...parents come and go, and not enough stick around for the long haul.

But unlike legacy drum corps fans, an ever-shrinking pool of audience members, band kids and their parents are a constantly renewable resource.

• Like 2