DCI BOD Drama....more to come?

High school bands with woodwinds play in the rain frequently. I attended five band competitions this fall; it was raining (and cold) for three of them. With the better bands, I could still hear the woodwinds when they wanted me to--and I don't mean the groups who amplified their woodwinds;* I mean the groups that designed their shows to allow moments where the woodwinds could shine (one of the best examples was in Berne Union's take on Ticheli's "Vesuvius").

That doesn't mean I particularly want woodwinds in drum corps (although I prefer woodwinds to electronics), and I think you make many good points.

*Ugh. I played bassoon in high school (and the pocket bassoon in a Renaissance band), but I just could not enjoy the long amplified bassoon solo that one band chose to use, no matter how talented that player was. I admit that I was actually pleased when the wind was so strong at the state finals that the bassoonist's mike was overcome with noise and he kept cutting out. There is some justice in the world. (Except that the band still received a Superior rating. Ridiculous. This is the same band I mentioned in a previous thread, that won best percussion [at a different show] without a battery.)

2 years ago at state finals the two piccolos (sp) in my daughters bands got so out of whack from the cold and wet that they were serviceable and unplayable due to rain and cold. Not sure if that would factor into DCI and summer heat. Could be a factor who knows with wood winds.

We had a basson player in our HS MB.......

She played cymbals in MB but she did play basson after football was over.

As a sometimes educator, a few oboists have been my favorite players in marching band ... when they are in the front ensemble playing mallets.

This gets back to my contention that subjective judging, even based on supposed objective sheet criteria, the judging itself is nothing more than mere subjective opinion; it may be educated or qualitative opinion; but it is still just opinion.

like ticks were

I think some of the answers about the whole woodwinds and band thing can be found in the second part of Georges resignation letter that is floating around the internet.

"

And herein is the difficulty. The organizations that hold membership within DCI are distinct. Groups of us agree … but we do not agree as a group of 18 ( or however many votes we have). And through our dysfunction, we have allowed for an organization that generates funds to feed the association itself.

We spend money for a website, for data services, for marketing efforts … but does all of this contribute to making a difference for young people.

Are young people in our corps better serviced today than 10 years ago ??? are there more corps? More students? Do the corps provide a better service?

I will leave that to you to answer. But as you can guess, my view is that what we do .. we do, and if it is a better service, it is because of our individual efforts. And the mothership has taken on a life of it’s own; a life that is too extravagant, too large, and without impact. On Tuesday Wayne showed us how our income has increased from 8 million to 11 million in fast fashion. Alas, what is the result of this income? What is the outcome … not on a balance sheet, but in terms of the constituency we serve.

My solution is to expand and change the mission. Lead students into band. Slowly, bring bands within our worlds so that the work we do, and the millions we spend, affect more people. And not for a drum battle. But through an experience that will leave these students with life skills that they will and can use for years and years to come."

isn't the income supposed to be shared back with the member corps?

Also....bringing in band brings in a whole new set of challenges. the scholastic world does not operate as the independent world does.

High school bands with woodwinds play in the rain frequently. I attended five band competitions this fall; it was raining (and cold) for three of them. With the better bands, I could still hear the woodwinds when they wanted me to--and I don't mean the groups who amplified their woodwinds;* I mean the groups that designed their shows to allow moments where the woodwinds could shine (one of the best examples was in Berne Union's take on Ticheli's "Vesuvius").

That doesn't mean I particularly want woodwinds in drum corps (although I prefer woodwinds to electronics), and I think you make many good points.

*Ugh. I played bassoon in high school (and the pocket bassoon in a Renaissance band), but I just could not enjoy the long amplified bassoon solo that one band chose to use, no matter how talented that player was. I admit that I was actually pleased when the wind was so strong at the state finals that the bassoonist's mike was overcome with noise and he kept cutting out. There is some justice in the world. (Except that the band still received a Superior rating. Ridiculous. This is the same band I mentioned in a previous thread, that won best percussion [at a different show] without a battery.)

And nowhere is it written that one must have a battery to be the best

The idea that DCI should scrap dci.org and the CorpsData websites are so absurd that they defy belief. What decade do we live in, again?

Mike

(p.s. looking at DCI news today, how much does a trip to Japan cost...?)

I was wondering where that comment came from myself. I do not understand why shutting down DCI.org could benefit DCI in any shape fashion or form. I do understand it cost money to operate the website but you have to understand that there is a return on your investment.

I was wondering where that comment came from myself. I do not understand why shutting down DCI.org could benefit DCI in any shape fashion or form. I do understand it cost money to operate the website but you have to understand that there is a return on your investment.

I have to laugh when he complains about the costs for DCI HQ, the web etc. He employes more people than DCI does!

Just a question/observation

Here we (or at least some) are getting our collective knickers in a twist over a facebook posting by Hoppy. I believe this is not the first time he has done this. Is this thread a discussion that was looking for something to respond to? Or has something new happened & I am too dense to notice?