A solution to collisions with judges

There's been talk about what to do with judges on the field. I wouldn't have as much a problem with judges being off the field as long as they were not all sitting in the stands, but rather, placed just outside the field boundaries. There are things that are hard to hear—getting "inside" the sound—from only up on top. I don't think it's possible to hear some extremely minute differences in technique and execution from the box.

It's impossible for percussion judges to run after drum batteries and simultaneously listen to the front ensemble. For that reason, I would like to see a battery judge and a pit judge. Now, if both are off the field, the battery judge would have to listen through the pit, but that would be an issue anyhow with amplification and speakers blasting in the ear.

One wrong step by a current percussion judge...and for that matter, a current brass judge, and it's all over for the judge and perhaps one or two members. Having said that, I still feel there is value to having judges close to the individual performers, as it is all too easy for staffs to "tune out" a snare drummer having an off day and to otherwise mask sections having problems.

My ultimate solution is the Judge-O-Blimp, a tethered and motorized blimp that would get the judges off the field and still allow them to get in close for sampling. Altimeter controls would prevent the JOB from sinking too low and interfering with rifle tosses. The tether would prevent the craft from blowing away when outside. Think of it as a judges’ drone. Judges would each have their own JOB and would control where they went, with computerized guidance systems keeping the JOBs from bouncing into one another and Hindenburging the field. The Judge-O-Blimp is the next step in pageantry arts adjudication.

Just remember where you heard it first when it comes to fruition.

• Like 3

My ultimate solution is the Judge-O-Blimp, a tethered and motorized blimp that would get the judges off the field and still allow them to get in close for sampling. Altimeter controls would prevent the JOB from sinking too low and interfering with rifle tosses. The tether would prevent the craft from blowing away when outside. Think of it as a judges’ drone. Judges would each have their own JOB and would control where they went, with computerized guidance systems keeping the JOBs from bouncing into one another and Hindenburging the field. The Judge-O-Blimp is the next step in pageantry arts adjudication.

Two concerns with this idea:

1. If the Blimp develops a small leak or worse a tear in it there is a possibility that the subsequent sound will appear on APDs and finals recordings. No one wants to hear whistling during a corps performance or worse yet, a sound equivalent to what happens when eating too much cabbage.

2. Even tethers can break. It would be quite something if a judge suddenly ended up around the rafters during finals. Would substitute judges be on standby to fill in for a particular caption in time for the next corps on the field?

Why not??

Amazon is already talking about having packages delivered with drones.

In other news

Rednecks are talking about sharpening their skills with a shotgun and skeet shooting when the day comes.

Not sure its such a good idea.

:augen51:

Would the presence of Judge-O-Blimps interfere with my idea for a rule change that would allow corps members to be lowered to the field by cables from the dome catwalks? I have no objection to the Judge-O-Blimps, but I just want to make sure these things can coexist.

• Like 1

The mystery surrounding unidentified drones circling over competition sites will be solved when the CIA and NSA begin issuing their own scores for each competitive unit's performance.

Or maybe those scores will be classified.

Edited by ChuckH