Best Ballad

Good point -- let's define "ballad" as a slower piece designed to off-set (or contrast with) the otherwise high tempo and high-energy songs played by drum corps. Danny Boy, I would think, counts. Auld Lang Syne is in the grey as the battery can go rather nuts by the end.

If you list songs, please list its name, the corps, and the year. (I'm trying to expand my own drum corps knowledge database and can't search and listen if the details are lacking.)

So far, for me personally, PR's Nessun Dorma of 94 or '12 are the only potentials to unseat CC's The Abyss of '13. My opinion thus far.

Good point -- let's define "ballad" as a slower piece designed to off-set (or contrast with) the otherwise high tempo and high-energy songs played by drum corps. Danny Boy, I would think, counts. Auld Lang Syne is in the grey as the battery can go rather nuts by the end.

If you list songs, please list its name, the corps, and the year. (I'm trying to expand my own drum corps knowledge database and can't search and listen if the details are lacking.)

So far, for me personally, PR's Nessun Dorma of 94 or '12 are the only potentials to unseat CC's The Abyss of '13. My opinion thus far.

DB was used as a closer most years. To me, a ballad is usually played near the middle of a show and some percussion sections head to a side line for a smoke!

Just tried watching some of these. I can't seem to get into anything prior to 1984. It's just so, structured and robotic.

Then we will just have to agree to disagree. Granted, I am a dinosaur, but to me these were hits from the greatest years of drum corps.

Here are a few more -

Bridgemen 77 Land of Make Believe

Oakland Crusaders 77 El Gato Triste

Capital Freelancers 77 Bellavia

77 was a good year for Mangione ballads...

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Short attention spans?

More likely it's just that run-n-gun became the standard for openers and closers, so we had to set it up in the place most likely to be noticed as a pacing change.

That, and.... ???? I forgot what I was saying....

Chuck

• Like 3

Does BD's when a man loves a woman constitute a ballad? That's one the greatest moments I've ever seen. Phantom's 94 rendition of Nessun Dorma was one of the reasons I marched.

Nessun Dorma was in 91. We did Clair de Lune in 94.
  • Like 1

Cadets '91 - Letters from Home

Magic '94 - Odyssey

Cadets '93 - Hymnsong

Phantom '93 - Fire of Eternal Glory

Suncoast '88 - Ballad portion right before the reprise of the theme going into the final hit

Blue Devils '92 - When a Man Loves a Woman

Just a few of my favorites.

Nessun Dorma was in 91. We did Clair de Lune in 94.

Yeah, I'm good with both. I'm assuming be using "we" you marched Phantom in '94? If so, that is one of my favorites. I went to a couple Crown camps for the '94 season but chose not to march early on as I didn't think I was ready. Then I saw Phantom that summer and made the decision to march the following year right at the end of the ballad. I knew I wanted to have a moment on the field like that.

Edited by caliswift