Best Ballad

Yep, an octave lower. It was a shame because I heard him every single night nail that all summer as we were with BD a LOT that year.

bal·lad

noun \ˈba-ləd\

: a slow popular song that is typically about love

: a kind of poem or song that tells a story (such as a story about a famous person from history)

By this definition it would be Blue Devils "When a Man Loves a Woman"

Favorite from 2013 is Spirit of Atlanta's "Crazy World"

All time favorite is hands down Cavaliers "Softly as I Leave You"

• Like 1

Assuming the Bluecoats use The Hymn of Acxiom as their ballad in their 2014 show, I think we can preemptively add it to the best ballad list :tounge2: So excited to hear it!

• Like 1

Ballads replaced Concerts and were moved from Closers so that Corps could end with a fast paced bang. Ballads besides from adding contrast often serve the same purpose of a Concert, show off the brass and are more different that a Closer which was a come-down, exit music of release and resolve

Drum corps show structure and pacing is more predictable now than it ever was in the past

Good point -- let's define "ballad" as a slower piece designed to off-set (or contrast with) the otherwise high tempo and high-energy songs played by drum corps. Danny Boy, I would think, counts. Auld Lang Syne is in the grey as the battery can go rather nuts by the end.

If you list songs, please list its name, the corps, and the year. (I'm trying to expand my own drum corps knowledge database and can't search and listen if the details are lacking.)

So far, for me personally, PR's Nessun Dorma of 94 or '12 are the only potentials to unseat CC's The Abyss of '13. My opinion thus far.

in no particular order...

PR's 93 Fire of Eternal Glory

PRs 03 Lords Prayer

SCV 00 Adagio for Strings

Cavies 95 Mercury and Jupiter from the Planets

Crowns' 13 The Abyss

I first heard BD '89 on the DCI championships CD sold that year, which apparently used the semifinals recording; I was astonished ten years later when I first saw the video and heard the frack for the first time!