Bluecoats 2014

It pretty much comes down to dirt. Cadets are way cleaner right now. No worries. Long season from this point.

Finally.

No cute narration, no story, no attempt at a deeper meaning. Ever since about 2007, this is the Bluecoats show I've been looking for: music first, electronics integrated just about seamlessly (the pitch bend is genius) and letting the horn line blow the stands back.

it really is! I've used a pitch bend before in a field show with electronics, but not like this: the idea is one that seems so simplistic conceptually, but incredible in practice! Really cool idea executed very well

I almost don't like that their show goes on for one more percussion/visual phrase. The FN video doesn't give me a great sense of scope for what they're doing visually, but the show feels like it ends musically anti-cliamticly doing something after that chord-pitchbend-chord-pitchbend-chord

Edited by perc2100
  • Like 1

One thing about Bluecoats I haven't read about yet is how well-designed those scalene triangle ramps are. They seem to be perfectly proportioned and balanced. I can only imagine how hard their designers worked to get those just right. They must have built and tested several prototypes.

There is a Bloo bandwagon this year, and for good reason. I'm usually a BD homer, but it's all about the Coats this year. Best of luck for a great season!

• Like 1

One thing about Bluecoats I haven't read about yet is how well-designed those scalene triangle ramps are. They seem to be perfectly proportioned and balanced. I can only imagine how hard their designers worked to get those just right. They must have built and tested several prototypes.

There is a Bloo bandwagon this year, and for good reason. I'm usually a BD homer, but it's all about the Coats this year. Best of luck for a great season!

I was watching the FN vid tonight, and I was talking about that with my wife. Not only does it seem to be proportioned and balanced as you say, but the simplistic coloring with the orange 'highlight'/piping REALLY makes it pop in a cool way from the high cam: I'm sure live it's the same/better

Also, the size is perfect: large enough to be effective and be used in cool ways (like the tenor solo), but small enough to not make the field seem cluttered, and easy enough to move around however the vis design needs from one phrase to another.

This show really seems to be the best-designed Bluecoats show ever. The 'box' that 'outlines' the field is also great, and simplistically effective (though it drives me crazy seeing it NOT line up with the front side-lines :tounge2: ). This is the type of show that I think any fan of the drum corps genre can really appreciate: great music, well thought-out design that coordinates and integrates everywhere, awesome visual effects, great performance. No matter what happens with this show this is the new Bluecoats gold standard in my mind!

• Like 4

Looking forward to Saturday night in Jackson with perfect weather too.....Coats, Crown, Cadets and some DCA goodness as well....should be epic on the DCI side....innovative and blow your face off Coats; smooth as butter brass line with Crown and kick-butt old school corps show from Cadets with a battery racing diagonally nearly 50 yards across the field while playing highly technical embedded diddles trying to dodge any ticks.....I'm openly biased for Cadets based on my son; but you gotta love the diverse approach and creativity of all three monster corps!

• Like 3

After watching their show... again... lol, those triangle props on the field reminded me of the Toronto Raptors' basketball floor:

raptors.png

Of course, however, the difference is that the Raptors use an optical illusion. I wonder if Bluecoats can have an extra prop or two that mimic what the Raptors do.... then at the end, when they move it off the field, people will be like... WUT.

optical-illusion-toronto-raptors.jpg

• Like 1

It pretty much comes down to dirt. Cadets are way cleaner right now. No worries. Long season from this point.

Yup. Cadets show will plateau in mid-July, I suspsect . . .and if Canton can clean it up, they can zip right on past them.

Bluecoats 2014: The OCD Nightmare Vol. I

This show really seems to be the best-designed Bluecoats show ever. The 'box' that 'outlines' the field is also great, and simplistically effective (though it drives me crazy seeing it NOT line up with the front side-lines :tounge2: ).

• Like 2

Looking forward to Saturday night in Jackson with perfect weather too.....Coats, Crown, Cadets and some DCA goodness as well....should be epic on the DCI side...

It's interesting that now the scene shifts to the Cadets' back yard for the next 2 weeks -- wonder how this will affect the 'Coats ability to close that gap.