Bluecoats 2014

Well, what else are the judges supposed to do? They can't award the top six 98.5 through 99.0 just because shows are much better than they used to be.

A lot of the spreads just falls out of the mathematics of the scoring system. The numbers must rank and rate the groups, not provide an absolute measure of quality. Judges are encouraged not to tie groups, so you wind up with 0.1 or 0.2 spreads in each caption. Add that up and you come up with half a point or so between most groups and the familiar "12 points for 12 corps" finals scoring.

Even if every finalist group performed at the level of BD, you'd still wind up with pretty familiar numbers because judges have to make decisions no matter how good the groups are.

Why not? Sure they can.

The point is that the scoring is not merely a reference for slotting... otherwise they would just offer placements or a generic 10 point system. The scores are supposed to be a reference for achievement, devoid of slot comparison. The numbers are informative to the corps, the fans, and the judging community at large with respect to competitiveness between the groups.

If 3 corps could win it on any given night, then the numbers should reflect this. Ties need only be broken by hundredths of a point or ordinals.

I almost died when I heard their closer for the first time. That chord-synth-chord-synth-MASSIVE CHORD progression is genius and the best use of a synth I've ever heard in DCI. It was literally 30 seconds of a crazy wall of sound.

I agree.. its gimmicky to be sure... but good Lord, what creative gimmicky, and so effective.. its so cool to hear that... my jaw dropped in the Cinema when I heard it, so too all around me. LOVED IT !

Why not? Sure they can.

The point is that the scoring is not merely a reference for slotting... otherwise they would just offer placements or a generic 10 point system. The scores are supposed to be a reference for achievement, devoid of slot comparison. The numbers are informative to the corps, the fans, and the judging community at large with respect to competitiveness between the groups.

If 3 corps could win it on any given night, then the numbers should reflect this. Ties need only be broken by hundredths of a point or ordinals.

That's the way it could work, not the way it does work.

There was a great discussion after finals last year about experiments different circuits have run with adding an extra decimal place so that close performances can be placed closer together. Quarter-finals in particular is really crowded for numbers, so the judge can't do much more than rank the groups with an 0.1 or 0.2 spread between each.

This show has the potential to be phenomenal (if it already isn't). I love the design, the music, everything. It usually takes me a few weeks to get into the shows, but with this show I am already feeling it. I do hope, though, that this doesn't mean that Bloo is peaking too early. Regardless, this show has a lot more promise than I see from the others after a few early reads (caveat: see second sentence).

I almost died when I heard their closer for the first time. That chord-synth-chord-synth-MASSIVE CHORD progression is genius and the best use of a synth I've ever heard in DCI. It was literally 30 seconds of a crazy wall of sound.

and the way they work the body with it is fanstastic.

• Like 3

Umm. There is still critique.

i believe it was changed to PRE-SHOW, not post show as i mentioned correct?

On the FN/Cinecast, when they bend the chord back upward, the guard girl shown up close when they are doing this is bad azz.

and the way they work the body with it is fanstastic.

Edited by superOOk

My prediction:

Regardless of where Bloo finishes this year in placement and score, the 2014 Bluecoats will be the most downloaded show of the season.

The music, for both brass and percussion is the best of any show I've seen or heard so far. Bloo practically jumped right out of the cinema screen Monday night with an initial sound that said they were coming right at you. Bloo is a cut above everyone else this year. The sounds are absolutely amazing.

They've only just begun. Just wait until more people see this show and the corps continues to tweak and clean. Amazing show!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

I think Bloo is finding their niche this year and will continue in this direction for the next few years. I think their guard needs to contribute more to the overall programme before they can contend for the title. I just feel their staging and writing needs to improve.