Bluecoats 2014

I don't think Crown is in the Jackson show..

I don't think Crown is in the Jackson show but looking forward to Coats and Cadets. These are turning out to be my two favorite shows this season.

Long time lurker.......

Just want to say a big THANK YOU to Bloooo this year. This show has already seperated me from some of my hard earned money.........tickets, shirts, hats, FN....and led to a gastric miscalculation at a concession stand.

Alot has already been said about the content, but what impresses me most is how much the kids seem to enjoy performing it.......I've only seen video because of a rainout, but the love of the show comes through quite clearly.

Drumline is ridiculous!

I have avoided posting too much of my thoughts on the boards this season due to some extremist homerism going on in almost every thread.

I can't keep from writing this post.

Bluecoats 2014 is my favorite show I've seen this decade. The students are passionate about this product, you can see it on the rehearsal field and in every performance. This show is exciting and tear wrenching all at the same time.

To all the parents and performers out there this season, thank you for what you are doing!

Congrats to an already unbelievably amazing summer!

-Travis

• Like 1

I am digging this show except for the very, very end. The synth bends with the hornline is killer, and it is going to be very cool when they smooth out the sound and body work to make it seamless. But the last 32 counts (or whatever) featuring the percussion and having people jump off the triangles makes no sense to me. If you want to keep the perc feature, fine, but put it right before the synth/brass stuff so that the very last thing the crowd hears is that awesome wall of sound. Otherwise, they are taking the wind out of their own sails by going so big with the penultimate note but ending with a moment that looks ripped out of the Cavaliers playbook.

Either way, I really like this show. With a little sprucing up and some thoughtful changes, this corps might be a contender.

I am digging this show except for the very, very end. The synth bends with the hornline is killer, and it is going to be very cool when they smooth out the sound and body work to make it seamless. But the last 32 counts (or whatever) featuring the percussion and having people jump off the triangles makes no sense to me. If you want to keep the perc feature, fine, but put it right before the synth/brass stuff so that the very last thing the crowd hears is that awesome wall of sound. Otherwise, they are taking the wind out of their own sails by going so big with the penultimate note but ending with a moment that looks ripped out of the Cavaliers playbook.

I originally thought the same thing. But the more I watch it, the more I "get" the ending. Ending with the impact note would be too "straight up" drum corps for this show. The ending as it is now adds a bit of a tilt to a typical drum corps show ending.

• Like 4

I originally thought the same thing. But the more I watch it, the more I "get" the ending. Ending with the impact note would be too "straight up" drum corps for this show. The ending as it is now adds a bit of a tilt to a typical drum corps show ending.

I'm not so sure that's the effect they're going for there, but if that's the case, then they are overthinking it.

What might work is if they try to make the tilt three-dimensional. In other words, pretend like the field is no longer level and forces everyone, INCLUDING PIT, to run toward one side. And when they hit the line, they fall down, as if they are off the field. The current arrangement kind of looks like a mess that's not supposed to look like a mess.

• Like 1

Otherwise, they are taking the wind out of their own sails by going so big with the penultimate note but ending with a moment that looks ripped out of the Cavaliers playbook.

First, I love this show. And I think it could easily be a top four show or better.

That said, devil's advocate: The entire show is ripped out of the Cavaliers playbook of the early 00s. A theme that is centered around a visual idea with gimmicks to go along. The music could easily have been put together for an entirely different visual idea and worked just as well, much like the Cavaliers of the early 00s.

At any rate, I'm a sucker for it. And a common thread among those early 00s Cavies shows: champions.

• Like 3

But the last 32 counts (or whatever)

Wait a minute....you mean there's another 32 counts after the synth stuff? My face melts every time I watch that part so I'm oblivious to anything that happens after..

IMO, the ending is not done yet......the synth bend is so freakin cool that they didn't want to overload us just yet.

• Like 1