Bluecoats 2014

Hmm, I watched Cadets rehearsal all day and the show has the content and demand (I saw it and the judges agree). They are no where near peaking as they have a lot of ensemble responsibilities and they were getting hammered by the brass caption leader and the marching dude in the box all day so the peaking early idea is flawed. Yes, they are performing at a very high level but that is not atypical for a group that will contend in August.

As for the Coats, I loved the show, they are performing very well and will be in the thick of things also come August but I wouldnt assume the Cadets are going to fizzle anytime this season. They are running on all cylinders and those GE scores are consistently very favorable so there is some

decent agreement thus far by the judging community that the "design" is there. Personally, I think these are 2 of the top 3 comes finals.

Lol Gino could hammer a brass line like that every single day all the way to finals. It's not an indicator of whether they'll peak too soon or not.

Ask yourself this question:

Design-wise how is this program going to evolve in a month? What would you "add"? How do you take it "to the next level"?

Cadets are as clean as I've ever seen them in June. REALLY clean. Here's another question: what effect in the Cadets show is so dirty that it will seem like an addition to the show when it's clean? What part of the show is clearly a sketch that needs to be "filled in" as the season progresses?

I suspect those sorts of questions are why people are throwing out the "peak too soon" flag.

They still have guard uniforms changes to add. They still have a tag to put on the field, There's no doubt that it will be a classic Cadets ending.

No doubt the show is an early season MONSTER of a show. It will be interesting to follow it's evolution through the season.

As for the Coats it's easy to answer a lot of those questions isn't it ? If their design team comes up with the right answers during the season, I could see Coats passing team maroon.

Edited by corpsband

BEST BLUECOATS PACKAGE EVER!

• Like 3

if Cadets don't add a lot they will get passed by - IMHO

Agreed. Bluecoats package allows them some flexibility to add elements that are tied to the central concept. Cadets are stuck with one central device (the Lincoln Portrait spoken word idea) that has to drive what they do, which may prove limiting down the stretch.

Performance skills will keep them top four this year, but not guarantee them a medal spot if Bluecoats catch a judging wave and the crowd keeps urging them forward.

Edited by Slingerland

You all seem to forget that a corps who is very prepared and clean(ish) in June AND experienced in peaking just at the right time (ie BD and Cadets) have more time to clean, refine, work on technique and take the time to add and amend, whilst others (eg SCV) spend the season in catch up mode. For me, neither BD or Cadets have many flaws in their design nor weaknesses in any section. BC needs a colourguard that contributes more and is staged better and a stronger visual programme (although this is one of their better designs) before they are going to compete for a championship. I predict BC will be 4th this year

I think 3rd. I'm not sold on Crown.

• Like 1

Holy mother of resonance.

I agree the whole production seems so well designed, but the guard uniform seems so blah and almost as an after thought. Wish they could upgrade. Right now what they are wearing seems very conservative and covers up a lot, is there another uniform underneath that they are going to reveal as the season progresses? Best output from that design staff since 2010 by far.

i absolutely love Crown, but Bloo's, orange show at the moment makes me think "GOLD"

Edited by msumello
  • Like 3

Bloo is up against Cadets and Crown 3 times this week: Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Anyone know if any of these shows will be a full panel of judges?

Great that Bloo broke 80 tonight. Compared to 2010 Metropolis, they're running ahead scoring-wise. Once Bloo gets the advantage of a full panel and continues to tweak and clean, watch out. This is THE show of the year!