Bluecoats 2014

Do you get it? That's not enough to win. There must be meaning behind the show in order for Bluecoats compete with those who do. Not a story with characters, necessarily. Not words. Not voices. But meaning. And there's none here. The "game" can be developed simply through repetition. The "game" can be developed through a gradual increase in tempo, or in the use of repeating formations. But there must be a pattern, and it must change in some way to stir the emotions. Story here can be as simple as repeating the action that one guy doesn't want to jump. Until the end. That's it. That's all the story we need. No words. No pre-recorded anything. Just a pattern that escalates for dramatic effect. It's what audiences crave. It doesn't even have to last for the entire show. It can be set up and completed in 10 seconds. That's all the show needs an it could satisfy the "story" arc and compete on the level with the meaning of Fellliniesque and the Lincoln Portrait. Simple.

How could a judge award simply "Music, movement and shape" over "Music movement, shape, pattern and story?" They just can't.

Hate the word story as most programs don't actually have one.

Is there a thread?

I don't know -- haven't been in critique to hear their design team talk about it. Was there a thread to "Machine" ?

There's needs to be a logic to the design. But I'm not sure I agree with that.

To use the famous Marshall McLuhan phrase, "the medium is the message"! To me, the meaning of this show is all about the excitement, thrills and chills of an awesome drum corps performance. It's about a kick *** opener, jaw dropping feats of percussion, brass and guard, the heart melting beauty of a gorgeous ballad, an eyeball feast of cool visual colors, shapes and impeccable maneuvers, and a face peeling finale that makes you spontaneously want to jump to your feet from the excitement. This is why I love drum corps and why I love this show. The design motif of the tilts, bends and angles are unifying elements that serve to simply highlight the modern and forward slant of the musical aesthetic. The wedge diving at the end is an act of joy and done for the thrill and rush after having just blasted the audience out of their seats with an epic final chord sequence. The emotions are derived from the content of the performance itself, not from some dropped in motive from an external narrative. I personally don't want a story about why they do what they do with the wedges anymore than I want a story about why corps throw rifles and sabers in the air. This is drum corps!

Edited by 3PoC
  • Like 8

How could a judge award simply "Music, movement and shape" over "Music movement, shape, pattern and story?" They just can't.

Maybe they can (and have) because the music, movement and shape is BETTER than the other corps. Maybe the story is "our music, movement and shape is pretty #### good all by itself." Maybe the story is "here's a show that's cool and the fans are going to like it a lot." Maybe the story is "this show is so good it doesn't need someone's "interpretation" of a story arc."

There have been MANY DCI champions that relied on music, movement and shape.

edited to add there is absolutely nothing wrong if you or any other spectator needs a story line to make a show "complete." For me great music with great movement are enough...

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 1

The music is the theme. Young, contemporary composers. Edgy, sounds, sights, TILT.

That's the genius beauty about this show. Bloo is not bound to a storyline that in most shows the typical fan has no idea what's happening. Even after reading most show summaries, I still can't figure out what the heck I'm seeing on the field - unless doing a deep-dive into the program - and even then, well...

The reason that Bloo's show this year is so entertaining, and many calling it the best show they've ever seen (I've heard this first-hand from MANY people at the shows I've attended so far) is because you can allow yourself to be fully engrossed in the show and get your face entertained right off. The difference between this show and other fan-friendly shows that others have done is that the Bluecoats are doing it - and doing it in only the style that Bloo can do. Always a quality drum corps, you're getting the best entertaining show delivered to you by one of the finest, bad@## corps out there. Typical Bluecoat sound at the highest entertaining value.

I contend that the flexibility of their show is a competitive advantage. One that is not bound to a confined theme. As such, the expert design staff and outstanding marching members will take full advantage of - especially this show. They know what they've got and I trust they will fully capitalize on all TILT has to offer. It's an awesome production - and a medal worthy show at that.

Go get 'em Bloo - you know the words!

• Like 6

Do you get it? That's not enough to win. There must be meaning behind the show in order for Bluecoats compete with those who do. Not a story with characters, necessarily. Not words. Not voices. But meaning.

[...]

You must be looking too hard for the meaning, because I sure see it when I see and hear the Bluecoats' show. The meaning, the "story," whatever is -- TILT. Its all over this show, both obviously and subtly.

As for your second point -- one could just as easily ask, "How could a judge award simply 'Music, movement and shape' over 'Music, movement, shape, and circus animals?'" The answer, of course is because sometimes the circus animals don't fit the concept of the show. In Bluecoats' case, a more defined or literal story would take away from the psychological effectiveness that the music and marching in the show provides.

Take a look at last year. PR had a pretty obvious story throughout the entire performance, complete with an opening book drill move. SCV, while doing a show based on the music from a well known story, was actually quite effective in presenting that music with minimal reference to the story. Which show was judged higher?

• Like 3

You nailed it! Thanks!

To use the famous Marshall McLuhan phrase, "the medium is the message"! To me, the meaning of this show is all about the excitement, thrills and chills of an awesome drum corps performance. It's about a kick *** opener, jaw dropping feats of percussion, brass and guard, the heart melting beauty of a gorgeous ballad, an eyeball feast of cool visual colors, shapes and impeccable maneuvers, and a face peeling finale that makes you spontaneously want to jump to your feet from the excitement. This is why I love drum corps and why I love this show. The design motif of the tilts, bends and angles are unifying elements that serve to simply highlight the modern and forward slant of the musical aesthetic. The wedge diving at the end is an act of joy and done for the thrill and rush after having just blasted the audience out of their seats with an epic final chord sequence. The emotions are derived from the content of the performance itself, not from some dropped in motive from an external narrative. I personally don't want a story about why they do what they do with the wedges anymore than I want a story about why corps throw rifles and sabers in the air. This is drum corps!

Bluecoats are special to me this year. They have managed to design a show that has more of the '70s, 80s' components that brought audiences to their feet in satisfaction throughout an entire corps performance during that earlier period. They're innovative, yet not innovative. You can put your neighbor's family in front of them for their first drum corps experience and they'll jump up, too!

Bluecoats represent the best balance between the proven and true, and the new and different I've seen in many, many years. No matter what their placement at Finals, I consider this corps to have made the most significant impact of 2014. I'm hopeful this is the design that will win in Indy. Seems to me, for that not to happen will be depressing for many fans.

• Like 4

I like Brutus's edits, but I think a good concept can be sold as hard as a good story. Machine was a concept. As mentioned, even Les Miserables was a concept. I think the Coats are doing a good job of selling the Tilt concept.

Mike

The music is the theme. Young, contemporary composers. Edgy, sounds, sights, TILT.

That's the genius beauty about this show. Bloo is not bound to a storyline that in most shows the typical fan has no idea what's happening. Even after reading most show summaries, I still can't figure out what the heck I'm seeing on the field - unless doing a deep-dive into the program - and even then, well...

The reason that Bloo's show this year is so entertaining, and many calling it the best show they've ever seen (I've heard this first-hand from MANY people at the shows I've attended so far) is because you can allow yourself to be fully engrossed in the show and get your face entertained right off. The difference between this show and other fan-friendly shows that others have done is that the Bluecoats are doing it - and doing it in only the style that Bloo can do. Always a quality drum corps, you're getting the best entertaining show delivered to you by one of the finest, bad@## corps out there. Typical Bluecoat sound at the highest entertaining value.

I contend that the flexibility of their show is a competitive advantage. One that is not bound to a confined theme. As such, the expert design staff and outstanding marching members will take full advantage of - especially this show. They know what they've got and I trust they will fully capitalize on all TILT has to offer. It's an awesome production - and a medal worthy show at that.

Go get 'em Bloo - you know the words!

Fantastically put. Bluecoats are bringing old-school drum corps back with a modern tilt, and that's (like you said) the genius of it. It's simple but integrated so well that it's infectious. They're taking something conceptually simple, putting it in the show in complicated ways, and then making it look/sound easy. That's what a championship corps does with a championship show. I think that if they clean it up, they can go for the gold!

• Like 3

Hate the word story as most programs don't actually have one.

Is there a thread?

I don't know -- haven't been in critique to hear their design team talk about it. Was there a thread to "Machine" ?

There's needs to be a logic to the design. But I'm not sure I agree with that.

Yes, the progression was that the Robots eventually took over the entire human corps, at the end, robot horn and drum players were being manufactured. Technology replaced the human spirit.

Eventually you people will realize how shows are ranked by judges.

5th place - Show with no theme (Madison)

4th Place - Show with a theme (Bluecoats)

3rd place - Show with a theme and a pattern (Crown).

2ndplace - Show with a theme, pattern and story (Cavies, SCV, Phantom)

1st Place - Show with a theme, pattern, story and humanity. (Cadets, BD)