The Cadets - 2014

Something I found a bit interesting (I was only peripherally listening) - it seemed Hop really didn't like the choreography/body movement the horns do now, but he admitted they do it because they 'have to' to get the demand up. Also spoke a bit about the Cadets don't go "as far" with it due to the uniforms and somewhat needing to project the military roots of the uniform and certain movements wouldn't really fit with that nor would be easy to do in the unis. In general it seemed to me they have quite a bit of internal arguments about watering down the brass to accommodate the visual vs. the other way around. Something musically really clean all of a sudden gets "choreography" added and its dirty and just unable to be cleaned up.. and in a lot of cases sounded like the visual wins out.

lol... this always strikes me as odd... nowadays, when I see a hornline stand completely still and play something very difficult/flashy, I actually appreciate the music being played that much more because I'm not distracted by the choreography. Sometimes, I say screw the "demand"... the visual or musical moment you create should suffice independently. Plus, you have a guard interpreting the music already, right? Let them do their job!

People (especially some Cadets) give the Cavaliers a hard time sometimes because they "seemingly" stand and play, then run their butts off without playing. Well.... why not? Saves a lot of hosing of parts later on, right? More time to cleeeeaaaann!!!

Wow! What a rebuttal... You must have been in debate club. :tic:

Kill the overt insult. It doesn't bother me. Just because you think you're right about something doesn't mean you are. It takes time to clean multiple aspects of a drum corps show so your argument doesn't hold much weight. You were not on the judging panel nor have you spoken with the judges so you can't say you know it was the props that caused the issue.

• Like 1

Kill the overt insult. It doesn't bother me. Just because you think you're right about something doesn't mean you are. It takes time to clean multiple aspects of a drum corps show so your argument doesn't hold much weight. You were not on the judging panel nor have you spoken with the judges so you can't say you know it was the props that caused the issue.

ah, come on man... you can't look anyone here in the face and claim that the props actually ADDED anything to the show, can you?

they were a bad design choice on many levels... the "two sides" concept was never actually developed anyway, and then at the end of the season they pulled the patent-pending "let's try to insert some gimmick to make up for the effect we didn't successfully program in the first place" move when they said, "welp, i guess we'll have the mellophone soloist at the end get on top of one for some reason, even though it makes no sense (as going "up" would be the... erm... THIRD direction)"

the prop thing was a bad, bad case of forcing a deficient, halfbaked show concept on re-tread music. george hopkins might be a great ceo (or maybe not, but that's another discussion), but he's definitely not a great program coordinator. "good vs evil/dark vs light/side vs side" is the most played out concept in our activity, and he's gone to it twice in three years, while crown and bd are doing stuff that -- while it doesn't always work -- is at least pushing the envelope in some new way.

look, i've been a big cadets fan and donor for more than 20 years, but they haven't had a "signature" concept since 2005. another year of some amateur-sounding narrator reciting passages from george's latest self-help book (2007, 2008, 2010), and i'll certainly be looking for another bandwagon to board.

frankly i am worried that the 2014 production is going to be "president hero worship with music accompaniment," which has the potential to be the safest, dorkiest, bandiest thing in lucas oil history (including boa).

• Like 2

Per your definiton, if neither of us has seen the sheets or heard the tapes then to be intellectually honest, you'll have to concede your opinions, too, do not matter.

If you're going to be intellectually dishonest then I would ask what was the reason the Cadets placed where they did in visuals if it wasn't for the towers having a cascading effect on the entire program?

Per your definiton, if neither of us has seen the sheets or heard the tapes then to be intellectually honest, you'll have to concede your opinions, too, do not matter.

If you're going to be intellectually dishonest then I would ask what was the reason the Cadets placed where they did in visuals if it wasn't for the towers having a cascading effect on the entire program?

It probably could have been because there were two corps that performed their show better than Cadets did. There's a thought.

• Like 1

It probably could have been because there were two corps that performed their show better than Cadets did. There's a thought.

Shh don't nullify his point with logic and reason. :tounge2:

http://www.yea.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=22876&news_iv_ctrl=1002

Just gonna leave this right here. First paragraph concerns the towers.

Unrelated to discussion on previous years, interesting that Hop confirms in that Q&A Cadets will have a concert F-horn soloist and zero trombones. With Cadets long amazing history of mellophone soloists, hearing that Cadets will utilize F-horn soloist makes me excited to see what they do!!

One thing is for sure: Mary C. really liked their visual design (put 'em 2nd in Rep. at Finals)!

Cadets vis. captions were their weak captions ranking-wise, but they weren't exactly tanking the corps: they were pretty ballpark of 3rd place SCV in most captions, with a wide gap behind Crown & BD for Top 2. I'm not sure those spreads are reasonable evidence that Cadets' backdrops absolutely killed their vis. scores. Crown & BD both had pretty amazing visual programs last year (design + performance), so being a distant fourth behind them is more a reflection of BD & Crown's talent, not Cadets & SCV's liability.

Unrelated to discussion on previous years, interesting that Hop confirms in that Q&A Cadets will have a concert F-horn soloist and zero trombones. With Cadets long amazing history of mellophone soloists, hearing that Cadets will utilize F-horn soloist makes me excited to see what they do!!

I played french horn and absolutely HATED it. I love the sound of it though. We'll see what they do with this. Just don't take over the mellophone classic runs please.

Thank you for posting this. As stated, adjudicators jumped on inconsistencies, but doesn't necessarily mean the towers were the primary reason The Cadets scored where they did. Regardless, the stages seem to be a better improvement given they won't be moving, but we won't know until we see the show, obviously.