The Cadets - 2014

I haven't listened to the webinars, but would you say there's going to be more narration than Crown 2013. Just curious.

As it stands now, I think there's more, but it's hard to tell. Crown's was more or less condensed into the ballad whereas Cadets will be spread throughout the entire show. Hop seemed to recognize that they have quite a bit and mentioned that it needs trimmed down. I still think there will be at least as much talking as Crown had last year.

Compared to what the other top corps are doing, this is either going to be a surprise crowd favorite or be left in the dust.

I'm getting a Toy Souldier vibe off of this show compared to what everyone else is doing, but hey, I still have no idea what Crown's playing.

Compared to what the other top corps are doing, this is either going to be a surprise crowd favorite or be left in the dust.

And taking into account the narration, I think "surprise crowd favorite" might be a long shot.

All Copland. Promise of Living, Lincoln Portrait, Music for the Theater, App Spring (no longer Symphony 3), with some other Americana thrown in there, including Camptown Races.

This will be the first time they've tried straight-up Americana since amps/voice. I think we'd all agree most/all their other very-American shows worked out well (e.g., 1987, 1995, 1996, 2002; not sure if you'd call 1988 and 1999 Americana). 1996 might be the easiest comparison. Still, some of what Hop puts together lately seems well-tread...

• Like 1

All Copland. Promise of Living, Lincoln Portrait, Music for the Theater, App Spring (no longer Symphony 3), with some other Americana thrown in there, including Camptown Races.

This will be the first time they've tried straight-up Americana since amps/voice. I think we'd all agree most/all their other very-American shows worked out well (e.g., 1987, 1995, 1996, 2002; not sure if you'd call 1988 and 1999 Americana). 1996 might be the easiest comparison. Still, some of what Hop puts together lately seems well-tread...

This show has a very sepia tint to it and a seemingly dated show concept. I don't think an Americana show will appeal to anyone right now to be honest. Maybe this show will try to reinvigorate it from the cynical, partisan and corporatized state it has become but appealing to the Americana ideal is not the era we live in anymore. Bluecoats tried to do that somewhat with a much more modern design last year and I don't think that resonated very well with audiences, not that people hated or didn't like it (some of their ideas were very cool conceptually) but it didn't stand out of the crowd.

But that's just from a show concept perspective. Music I'm disappointed that Cadets are again using music that has been done in the past. To people who are familiar with the Cadets only for the past 5 years years (like young high school or college kids just getting involved with corps). The Cadets are the quirky traditional corps. They do a show about Toy Soliders in a quirky way complete with an over the top caricature of a little boy, Christmas Music with religious undertones , Symphonic orchestrations of drum corps classics with an obtuse intellectual idea, and Americana shows about Presidents. "between angels and demons" in 2011 with the split uniforms and engaging concept seemed more of the outlier to recent fans rather than a stand out appeal to the Cadets "tradition in innovation" as they are known by from fans from the 90's and 00's. To me... I think they are misreading what makes a great show concept nowadays.

Edited by charlie1223

To me... I think they are misreading what makes a great show concept nowadays.

Agreed. Take the concept out of it and you're still left with rehashed source music....

This isn't what got me to love the Cadets 20 years ago. For whatever reason, the design team just seems stuck in a rut or unwilling to take the slightest tip-toe outside the box.

Bums me out.

• Like 2

Agreed. Take the concept out of it and you're still left with rehashed source music....

This isn't what got me to love the Cadets 20 years ago. For whatever reason, the design team just seems stuck in a rut or unwilling to take the slightest tip-toe outside the box.

Bums me out.

Does this show concept appeal to a high schooler? Does it appeal to a 50 year old dino? Cadet Alumni? who does it strongly appeal to? They always play and spin great and the musical arrangements are nearly always solid; its a power house there. But the concepts, the musical selections, the design choices... makes me wonder if they are getting out of touch....

Edited by charlie1223