The Cadets - 2014

Good thoughts here. I hope the continual tweaking gets this year's Cadets show to a place where the emotional impact comes close to the 1987 show....they have the technical chops to do it.

I have no doubt.

Ok I gotta say I watched Cadets show in Akron about 3 times on the FN, and I'm kinda starting to like it. We will see how I feel in a few days.

• Like 3

Ok I gotta say I watched Cadets show in Akron about 3 times on the FN, and I'm kinda starting to like it. We will see how I feel in a few days.

I got crow aplenty in my freezer.

Need me to heat some up for you?

Cadets show as many in the top tier, must be watched multiple times. It is literally a series of snapshots of events/ moods in American history. With the exception of about 25 seconds in the burlesque section, it never stops. It an incredibly balanced Cadet production that really mixes everything one would want to see and hear into one season. They move slowly (which is very demanding because they are uber exposed) and there are times they are gunning. Musically it is the most diverse out there in that it portrays multiple emotions (fear, struggle, exuberance, hope, promise), and the visual package IMO is unrivaled this season from what I've seen. People will love and hate Cadets (same as it ever was), but the judging community is seeing what I am seeing and embracing it. The show is still incomplete with guard uni changes and the last 20 counts of the show still not in. I don't see them peaking early but rather I am seeing what a corps that will have an incredible performance level in August, looks like in June. One of the biggest comments about Cadets 2011, was the show was great but the performance level wasn't, so I'm cautiously optimistic we will continue to see a very controlled and highly performing a Cadets 2014. IMO

• Like 1

I'll admit I was totally wrong on the Cadets show. They absolutely killed it last night and the entire theater thought so too. They and Bluecoats by far got the most applause and spontaneous "Ooohs!"

I'd been studiously avoiding any videos of them until I could see them last night in the theater. Wow - great, great show. Everything they do is big - massive field coverage, big full brass sound, and that drumline... my favorite part was in the big dramatic push in the closer when they cut to the drumline playing every friggin' note in the world. Narrator was <gasp!> *really* good. Only complaints I had were that the stage is massively underused, and they definitely need the other guard unis to arrive. I've liked a few, and tolerated even more, but this might be the first Cadets show I've truly loved in a long, long time.

Mike

• Like 4