The Cadets - 2014

I have to say, I really hope that they don't take some of this advice. Lincoln Portrait is not usually read by a guy in jeans and a t-shirt reading off his iPhone, and it seems disrespectful to Copland's music to go in that direction. There's pretty much no sense in which the text in LP is not "declamatory". We have no relationship with the narrator as a person, he's neither hero nor villain. Lincoln is the hero and the narrator is telling us about him. I think the Cadets wisely stayed close to the source material here.

I like your #7 suggestion to give the narrator something to do visually (the era-specific flags are a good suggestion) besides just holding a book.

I have to say, I really hope that they don't take some of this advice. Lincoln Portrait is not usually read by a guy in jeans and a t-shirt reading off his iPhone, and it seems disrespectful to Copland's music to go in that direction. There's pretty much no sense in which the text in LP is not "declamatory". We have no relationship with the narrator as a person, he's neither hero nor villain. Lincoln is the hero and the narrator is telling us about him. I think the Cadets wisely stayed close to the source material here.

I like your #7 suggestion to give the narrator something to do visually (the era-specific flags are a good suggestion) besides just holding a book.

Why don't they just use an actor's recording of Lincoln? Why is it a live narrator? Eventually you'll get there.

I'm talking about the show content and direction, not about the "phenomenal" performers. This isn't Dance Moms.

HAH show content and direction? You spent half of your 7 talking p

Here's a line from the script of the Lincoln Portrait:

"Lincoln was a quiet man. Abe Lincoln was a quiet and a melancholy man. But when he spoke of democracy, this is what he said."

The narrator in the Lincoln Portrait should mirror the humbleness of Lincoln's persona. The narrator should have an air of humility about the timeless words he's saying. Any bombastic recording of an actor could easily be played, but that's not what this show is. The Lincoln Portrait is about a narrator discovering for himself who Lincoln was. Saying his words. Eventually, the narrator becomes Lincoln, first in a quiet, humble, and then profound way. And the music behind him comes from his own mind as he brings Lincoln alive. The narrator is every man. Not a professional orator.

Edited by Brutus

I'm talking about the show content and direction, not about the "phenomenal" performers. This isn't Dance Moms.

HAH content and direction? You spent half of your talking points on the aesthetic appearance and style of speaking of the narrator. Calling that content and direction is quite a stretch. Like I said, you're just being nitpicky. The narrator is doing his job and doing it well. He is articulating clearly, speaking with a purpose, and is actually speaking with some expression. I think the Cadets need to focus more on giving that stage some more uses and continue cleaning up their show.

Listened to the original source material for "Lincoln Portrait" today with Gregory Peck narrating. It is an incredible piece of music and the narration makes a little more sense in my head I just feel there are small changes that could be made on execution. I'm sure they will figure it out though. Honestly, I'm a little drained on Copland. I feel like that's my biggest issue with this show and I just can't bring myself to be excited about it because it seems so rehashed. I heard someone say they want a 10-year moratorium on Copland, which I am beginning to long for.

• Like 1

Here's a line from the script of the Lincoln Portrait:

"Lincoln was a quiet man. Abe Lincoln was a quiet and a melancholy man. But when he spoke of democracy, this is what he said."

The narrator in the Lincoln Portrait should mirror the humbleness of Lincoln's persona. The narrator should have an air of humility about the timeless words he's saying. Any bombastic recording of an actor could easily be played, but that's not what this show is. The Lincoln Portrait is about a narrator discovering for himself who Lincoln was. Saying his words. Eventually, the narrator becomes Lincoln, first in a quiet, humble, and then profound way. And the music behind him comes from his own mind as he brings Lincoln alive. The narrator is every man. Not a professional orator.

You must have loved cadets 2007! Not a professional orator anywhere to be heard in that! Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

Why don't they just use an actor's recording of Lincoln? Why is it a live narrator? Eventually you'll get there.

Again... your insistence in condescension negates any valid points your posts might contain, which begs the question....

Are you honestly trying to suggest improvements (Hop does read this forum), or are you just using this forum to tout your arrogance?

• Like 3

Again... your insistence in condescension negates any valid points your posts might contain, which begs the question....

Are you honestly trying to suggest improvements (Hop does read this forum), or are you just using this forum to tout your arrogance?

Me thinks the latter, hehehe. Honestly, I find it interesting that the "haters" have been reduced to critiquing Jordan's uniform, lip synching vs. speaking or they're "just so tired of Copland". Ironically, with all the props, synch movements as highlights of some shows, disjointed modern shows, CADETS "classically designed" show is hmmmm...different from the rest of the pack.

For the same reason they use a live french horn soloist in Appalachian Spring instead of a recording of a pro. It's a performance activity. I want to watch performers perform.

I also value a drum corps show that stays faithful to the source music - this is typically one of the strengths of the Cadets. So yeah, if you're going to do Lincoln Portrait, I'd rather hear a good speaker present Copland's text in the spirit intended. The Cadets have that - no reason to mess with it.

• Like 1